STCW Final Rule

Here’s something you my be interested in:

You are about to lose your 1600 GRT Domestic Endorsements on your Limited OSV Licenses and be issued a 500 GRT Endorsement at your next renewal.

According to the USCG, “ALL OSV OFFICERS WE ISSUE HAVE THAT LIMITATION NOW”.

I just renewed my Chief’s License (issue 8) and when I got the MMC Booklet back, they had reduced my License from 1600GRT to 500GRT. When I ask about it, USCG Merchant Marine Center in West Virginia said that it is “Drafting Changes” and that it is correct. All OSV’s will be 500T Domestic, Captains as well.

The 6000T ITC will remain on your License, just the Domestic will change back to 500GRT.

Here’s exactly what they said:

“We received a call to review your MMC endorsements. I have reviewed your MMC. The C/E OSV STCW endorsement is correctly limited to 500 GRT. All OSV officers we issue have that limitation now. This is correct.

The C/E limited you hold that previously showed 1,600 GRT on the STCW will no longer reflect this limitation. This is a drafting change and is correct.

I see no errors on the STCW endorsements we have issued you, but I do realize it may look different from your last issuance. This is due to drafting changes, but is correct.” (end quote)

If anyone knows what “Drafting Changes” means, and where it was authorized in NVIC’s, Code of Registry, or CFR’s, please post so we all can see why this rule changed and why we lose something we’ve earned and have been issued.

So what does this mean? Will all of us working on the larger AHTS and “Super Supply” Vessels lose our jobs? Will the USCG now require “Blue Water” Licenses for these Vessels? Will the pay scale for OSV’s under 500GRT be lowered as the market will be flooded with 500GRT Licenses?