ALL OSV Officers: You are about to lose your 1600 GRT Domestic Endorsements

You are about to lose your 1600 GRT Domestic Endorsements onyour Limited OSV Licenses and be issued a 500 GRT Endorsement at your nextrenewal.
According to theUSCG, “ALL OSV OFFICERS WE ISSUE HAVE THAT LIMITATION NOW”.
I just renewed (CE Limited OSV Any HP - Issue 8) and when I got the MMC Booklet back, they hadreduced my License from 1600GRT to 500GRT. When I ask about it, USCG MerchantMarine Center in West Virginia said that it is “Drafting Changes” and that itis correct. All OSV’s will be 500GRT Domestic.
The 6000T ITC willremain on your License, just the Domestic will change back to 500GRT.

Here’s exactly whatthey said: (Quote)
“We received a call to review your MMC endorsements. I havereviewed your MMC. The C/E OSV STCW endorsement is correctly limited to 500GRT. All OSV officers we issue have that limitation now. This is correct.
The C/E limited youhold that previously showed 1,600 GRT on the STCW will no longer reflect thislimitation. This is a drafting change and is correct.
I see no errors onthe STCW endorsements we have issued you, but I do realize it may lookdifferent from your last issuance. This is due to drafting changes, but iscorrect.” (End quote)

If anyone knows what “Drafting Changes” means, and where itwas authorized in NVIC’s, Code of Registry, or CFR’s, please post so we all cansee why this rule changed and why we lose something we’ve earned and have beenissued.
So what does thismean? Will all of us working on the larger AHTS and “Super Supply” Vessels loseour jobs? Will the USCG now require “Blue Water” Licenses for these Vessels?Will the pay scale for OSV’s under 500GT be lowered as the market will beflooded with 500T Licenses?
Remember, this is ALL OSV OFFICERS, Deckincluded.

Take a deep breath and relax. It’s all going to be ok.

Just for starters, most OSV’s do not operate under a GRT. They use ITC. If you have a 6000 OSV endorsement, the 500 GRT domestic doesn’t matter.

Maybe I read it wrong but you stated your 1600grt Domestic was reduced to 500grt. In the quoted section it states the STCW portion is now limited to 500grt. Two different things, yes??

Is this due to the new regulations coming into effect?

That’s just it, I don’t have a clue. Their statement is vague at best. “drafting change” and “is correct” is not a reason for the change by my way of thinking.
I just know that I had 1600 GRT Domestic and it was changed to 500 GRT. I think that ITC covers me in Foreign Waters, but GOM & U.S. Waters, I have 500GRT. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but in U.S. Waters, ITC isn’t recognized. I don’t think we signed the treaty.

New at this, so please excuse the errors.
I don’t know what the explanation means, I only know that I had 1600GRT Domestic before, and now it’s 500GRT Domestic. ITC tonnage is not recognized, to my knowledge, by the U.S., and all U.S. Flagged Vessels operating in the GOM and U.S. Waters use Domestic GRT. Has something changed.

I just renewed and there was no tonnage limit stated for a CE limited oceans. It’s in the CFR’s but not on the mmc. I had to call about OICEW as it had two separate line item limitations for it, one for uninspired fishing vessels and one stating motor vessels, I was told over the phone the last one and any domestic superseded any others, I was also told I could add a CE OSV 6000 endorsement if I wanted but I don’t believe that is correct as it should require a approved course?

[QUOTE=TSCOTT;130299]I just renewed and there was no tonnage limit stated for a CE limited oceans. It’s in the CFR’s but not on the mmc. I had to call about OICEW as it had two separate line item limitations for it, one for uninspired fishing vessels and one stating motor vessels, I was told over the phone the last one and any domestic superseded any others, I was also told I could add a CE OSV 6000 endorsement if I wanted but I don’t believe that is correct as it should require a approved course?[/QUOTE]

Damn, Rich! you need to calm down.

[QUOTE=Chief’ster;130273]You are about to lose your 1600 GRT Domestic Endorsements onyour Limited OSV Licenses and be issued a 500 GRT Endorsement at your nextrenewal.
According to theUSCG, “ALL OSV OFFICERS WE ISSUE HAVE THAT LIMITATION NOW”.
I just renewed (CE Limited OSV Any HP - Issue 8) and when I got the MMC Booklet back, they hadreduced my License from 1600GRT to 500GRT. When I ask about it, USCG MerchantMarine Center in West Virginia said that it is “Drafting Changes” and that itis correct. All OSV’s will be 500GRT Domestic.
The 6000T ITC willremain on your License, just the Domestic will change back to 500GRT.

Here’s exactly whatthey said: (Quote)
“We received a call to review your MMC endorsements. I havereviewed your MMC. The C/E OSV STCW endorsement is correctly limited to 500GRT. All OSV officers we issue have that limitation now. This is correct.
The C/E limited youhold that previously showed 1,600 GRT on the STCW will no longer reflect thislimitation. This is a drafting change and is correct.
I see no errors onthe STCW endorsements we have issued you, but I do realize it may lookdifferent from your last issuance. This is due to drafting changes, but iscorrect.” (End quote)

If anyone knows what “Drafting Changes” means, and where itwas authorized in NVIC’s, Code of Registry, or CFR’s, please post so we all cansee why this rule changed and why we lose something we’ve earned and have beenissued.
So what does thismean? Will all of us working on the larger AHTS and “Super Supply” Vessels loseour jobs? Will the USCG now require “Blue Water” Licenses for these Vessels?Will the pay scale for OSV’s under 500GT be lowered as the market will beflooded with 500T Licenses?
Remember, this is ALL OSV OFFICERS, Deckincluded.[/QUOTE]

Damn, Rich! You need to get a grip.

Pretty sure the new STCW rules state they are doing away with the 500grt mate/master license. So this obviously does not translate to deck endorsements. I don’t ever pay attention to the engine endorsements so I can’t help you there.

It will state 500GRT for domestic on any trade restricted OSV endorsement. For example, when I got my 6000 OSV, it does say 500 GRT domestic. Doesn’t really matter since most OSVs fall under ITC. This does not affect my 1600/3000 masters license. It seems only to apply to trade restricted OSV additions (think 500 ton guys with 3000 or any of us with 6000). Deck.

My OSV license is 500 ton domestic with 6000 ITC, To me, it really doesn’t matter what domestic tonnage is labeled on my license as long as the large OSV is still there, it does not affect my chief engineer limited oceans license.

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;130311]Pretty sure the new STCW rules state they are doing away with the 500grt mate/master license. [/QUOTE]

No, we’re not.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;130324]No, we’re not.[/QUOTE]

Mr. Cavo

First, Thank you for your Service to our Nation, protecting we who plow the seas and our shores.

It would seem that you would be in a position to explain all this. Please do.

JD, is my understanding of the 500 domestic restriction correct in that it’s only applicable to the OSV endorsement and does not reduce my 1600/3000 master?

As I read over the comments, trying to get a ‘grip’, it occurs to me that non of us know what’s going on. That’s my point in the first place.

Unless I’m mistaken, ITC is not recognized by the USA on domestic vessels serving in domestic waters, as we didn’t sign off on the Treaty. That does make it relevant in US Waters as we still use GRT Domestically. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

It seems that everyone who has commented with a fresh renewal has different wording on their document. Confusion again.

So I say to JDC:

First:
Sir, Thank you for your Service to our Nation, protecting we who plow the Seas and for keeping our Shores Protected.

Second:
It would seem that you are in a position to explain all this. Please do.

Will this affect my “with sea time” upgrade to 1600??

Ill find out in a couple of days. I just took the 1600T crossover test.

My document reads as is.
Master of steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross registered tons ( domestic tonnage) 3000 gross tons (ITC tonnage) upon oceans
Master of offshore supply vessels of not more than 500gross registered tons ( domestic tonnage) 6000 gross tons ( ITC tonnage) upon oceans.

Basically any osv endorsement is going to 500 GRT OSV with 3000/6000 ITC

Thanks, talked to the chief mate today and he said he got his renewed 18 months ago.
His had 3rd mate
1600T master
500T master osv 6000 ITC

Guess you can look at it as a free lic.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;130333]JD, is my understanding of the 500 domestic restriction correct in that it’s only applicable to the OSV endorsement and does not reduce my 1600/3000 master?[/QUOTE]

It was based on the previous stautory restriction that an OSV cannot be over 500 GRT. That restriction was removed and is no longer applicable. Even if it was still valid, it would not apply to a 1600 GRT/3,000 GT endorsement that is not restricted to OSVs.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;130351]Will this affect my “with sea time” upgrade to 1600??[/QUOTE]

If it was from an endorsement as mate or Master 500 that isn’t restricted to OSVs, no, it won;t effect the upgrade.