STCW Final Rule

The rule is scheduled to be published in the Federal Register on 12/24/2013.

[I]Update[/I]: The rule is now available at: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-12-24/pdf/2013-28032.pdf

This should give us something to talk about.

§ 11.491 § 11.491 Raises the tonnage limitations on national Offshore
Supply Vessel (OSV) endorsements.
Raises the tonnage limitation for officers with a 500 GRT
limitation to 1,600 GRT.

Can someone enlighten me as to what this means?

From what I gather the 500 ton is no more. All 500 ton officers are now 1600 ton officers? What does this mean for the requirements of others wanting to upgrade to the 500 ton?

Looks like two years for medicals now:

“All persons employed or engaged onboard vessels
to which STCW applies will be issued a medical certificate
valid for 2 years unless the mariner is under the age of
18, in which case the maximum period of validity will be 1
year.”

Currently My 500 upgrades to a 1600 with just time. No more tests. Does this have any effect on my current 500 ton license? Will this affect me getting a job on an OSV with my 500 license?

That will make it interesting if you are working long term in a foreign country… I do see that there is a 90 day grace period however…

[QUOTE=water;126787]Looks like two years for medicals now:

“All persons employed or engaged onboard vessels
to which STCW applies will be issued a medical certificate
valid for 2 years unless the mariner is under the age of
18, in which case the maximum period of validity will be 1
year.”[/QUOTE]

Well, HERE IT IS:
5. Safety refresher training requirements
[B][U][I][U][I]This final rule will require safety refresher training
every 5 years for all STCW-endorsed mariners holding a
credential in basic training (BT), advanced firefighting,
proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than
fast rescue boats[/I][/U][/I][/U][/B], or proficiency in fast rescue boats, in
accordance with the 2010 amendments to the STCW Convention
and Code.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;126788]Currently My 500 upgrades to a 1600 with just time. No more tests. Does this have any effect on my current 500 ton license? Will this affect me getting a job on an OSV with my 500 license?[/QUOTE]

I’m looking at it quick, but it looks like you should be fine. Consider that you’re in that 500-3000 GT category with a current 500-ton license. Hoping for a slow hitch to pick through it…

I hope so. I already have my OSV 3000 so I guess ill be good there. Taking refresher classes will be a drag though especially if the company doesn’t pay for them.

That’s gonna knock out a lot of people on the borderline.

Good. As far as I’m concerned there are a whole lot of people sailing that shouldn’t be cleared. When you can’t climb up a pilot ladder, I’d like to meet the doctor that says you’re “fit for duty.”

Or fit through a scuttle, or pop so many pills that they blackout while operating the FRB…and take the rescue swimmer on a tour of the river

Yea all of the above. If there’s one thing we definitely need, it’s better medical standards. Or just get the SIU to stop sending out a shitty product.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;126788]Currently My 500 upgrades to a 1600 with just time. No more tests. Does this have any effect on my current 500 ton license? Will this affect me getting a job on an OSV with my 500 license?[/QUOTE]

The rule becomes effective in 90 days (March 24, 2014). There are grandfathering provisions for up to 5 years.

For national endorsements, there is grandfathering for five years. Generally, if you began the service or training for the national endorsement before the effective date of the rule (March 24, 2014) you may qualify under the previous regulations until March 24, 2019.

For STCW, if you began the service or training before the effective date of the rule, you can generally qualify under the former regulations until December 31, 2016.

More information will be provided in a NVIC on grandfathering to be published int he near future.

Other major elements of the rule include:

Medical certificates
Required training for most STCW endorsements;
Refresher training for Basic Training (new name for BST), Advanced Firefighting, Proficiency in Survival Craft, and Fast Rescu Boat;
Requirement for all current OICNW and OICEW STCW endorsements to meet competence in Leadership and Teamwork Skills by January 1, 2017;
Requirement for all current STCW endorsements for Chief Mate, master, Second Engineer Officer (1st AE) and Chief Engineer endorsements to have training in Leadership and Managerial Skills by January 1, 2017;
Separate STCW tank vessel endorsements for Advanced Oil Tanker Operations and Advanced Chemical Tanker Operations;
Allows mariners on ATBs to obtain STCW endorsements for tank vessels;
Lowers sea service minuimum tonnage for “unlimited” deck licenses from 200 GRT to 100 GRT;
Allows service on Great Lakes to count without limits towards near coastal and STCW endorsements.

There will be a series of public meetings to explain the rule and answer questions in the near future, including held on-line. There will also be NVICs for specific endorsements, close to 30 of them in the coming months.

Or if sitting in the captain’s chair is impossible due to morbid obesity.

[QUOTE=z-drive;126797]Well, HERE IT IS:
5. Safety refresher training requirements
[B][U][I][U][I]This final rule will require safety refresher training
every 5 years for all STCW-endorsed mariners holding a
credential in basic training (BT), advanced firefighting,
proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than
fast rescue boats[/I][/U][/I][/U][/B], or proficiency in fast rescue boats, in
accordance with the 2010 amendments to the STCW Convention
and Code.[/QUOTE]

This is no change from what STCW already requires. It is already enforced in other countries.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;126838]This is no change from what STCW already requires. It is already enforced in other countries.[/QUOTE]

That’s because the 2010 STCW went into effect internationally on January 1, 2012. These provisions are specific amendments to the STCW. They were added because there was a lack of consensus and clarity on whether they were or were not required. Some countries required it, others did not.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;126832]The rule becomes effective in 90 days (March 24,

Lowers sea service minuimum tonnage for “unlimited” deck licenses from 200 GRT to 100 GRT;

Thank Christ. It’s about time American mariners get some fairness on this issue, especially since the Brits, the Canadians (and undoubtedly others) accept seatime down to 25 Gross tons GT toward unlimited licenses.

[QUOTE=“jdcavo;126832”]

Lowers sea service minuimum tonnage for “unlimited” deck licenses from 200 GRT to 100 GRT;.[/QUOTE]

So does this mean we can finally lose the fake 6000 OSV crap? I’m sure I know the answer…

[QUOTE=New3M;126817]Good. As far as I’m concerned there are a whole lot of people sailing that shouldn’t be cleared. When you can’t climb up a pilot ladder, I’d like to meet the doctor that says you’re “fit for duty.”[/QUOTE]

The new medical certificate isn’t going to be any big deal. It’s going to be about the same thing as the current DOT “Medical Examiner’s Certificate” for truck driver’s.

In much of the world, a seaman cannot be hired without the proper government Medical Certificate. But as long as he has the Medical Certificate, the company has to hire him. They are not allowed to give him a company physical or refuse employment based upon any extra company physical requirements. The government requirements are presumed to be all that is required in order to do the job.

I have absolutely no problem passing any government physical, US DOT, FAA or USCG, or UK MCA, or the physicals at smaller US companies.

However, I cannot pass the physicals at the bigger companies, such as Chouest. These company physicals are blatant age discrimination. they have nothing to do with safety, and are only concerned with perceived potential for insurance cost increases.

I hope to hell, that like the Canadians, the Brits, and others, that these new USCG Medical Certificates will bring about a complete ban on any additional Company physicals in the US.