USCG Proposed Rule - STCW 2010

The Coast Guard has published a supplemental notice of proposed rulemaking. The proposed rule will, among other changes, implement the 2010 amendments to STCW. The SNPRM is at:

Wow reading that gave me a headache… I remember the unions getting all upset at the idea that a junior officer (3rd or 2nd) could upgrade to Master AGT with the CM/M courses and a few years of sea time but not as C/M. Has the requirements to upgrade to CM/M been changed in regards to STCW 2010?

One commenter suggests that
mariners with a master 1,600 GRT/3,000
GT near-coastal or ocean endorsement
have the opportunity to progress
directly to the unlimited tonnage master
endorsement after completion of
courses, assessments, and testing with 3
years of service, with at least half of the
time on vessels of 1,500 GRT or 2,500
GT ITC.
This rulemaking has provided a path
from master limited to master unlimited
through evidence of completing 6
months of sea service under the
authority of the limited endorsement,
and any assessments, training, and/or
examinations not previously completed

[B]Anybody care to comment on this?[/B]

looks like the 500 ton master will be sticking around for the time being as i see it?

[QUOTE=orangejulius;53435]looks like the 500 ton master will be sticking around for the time being as i see it?[/QUOTE]
Yes, but if you read 11.307 you can apply for the endorsement for STCW endorsement as chief mate on vessels of 1600 GRT/3000 GT or more with one year sea service, competencies, and training.

11.311 says you can apply for STCW endorsement as master of vessels 200GRT/500GT or more and less than 1600GRT/3000GT with one year sea service, competencies, and training.

11.313 says you can apply for STCW endorsement as chief mate of vessels 200GRT/500GT or more and less than 1600GRT/3000GT with competencies, and training.

[QUOTE=chemcarrier;53430]One commenter suggests that
mariners with a master 1,600 GRT/3,000
GT near-coastal or ocean endorsement
have the opportunity to progress
directly to the unlimited tonnage master
endorsement after completion of
courses, assessments, and testing with 3
years of service, with at least half of the
time on vessels of 1,500 GRT or 2,500
GT ITC.
This rulemaking has provided a path
from master limited to master unlimited
through evidence of completing 6
months of sea service under the
authority of the limited endorsement,
and any assessments, training, and/or
examinations not previously completed

[B]Anybody care to comment on this?[/B][/QUOTE]

You will be able to go from 1600 ton Master to Unlimited Master as it says. ref. 11.305 (d)

I knew this was in the works already

You can also go to C/M by completing the following:

12 Months as OICNW
Take the Test
& sit through S&R, ARPA, GMDSS, & Medical Care Provider

According to 11.307

Every time I see anchorman he’s got bad news for me.

[QUOTE=Sukker;53442]You can also go to C/M by completing the following:

12 Months as OICNW
Take the Test
& sit through S&R, ARPA, GMDSS, & Medical Care Provider

According to 11.307

Every time I see anchorman he’s got bad news for me.[/QUOTE]

And have someone to sign off your assessments.

[QUOTE=Sukker;53443]And have someone to sign off your assessments.[/QUOTE]

And drop a “k” and add a “c” … Sucker

[QUOTE=anchorman;53444]And drop a “k” and add a “c” … Sucker[/QUOTE]

How about dropping it all and just saying I got …ed

These are the biggest changes to our industry since 2002 and there has been very little response from everyone. I guess most don’t realize that we are basically returning to the rules and regulations for licensing prior to the implementation of STCW.

Public meetings are scheduled for Miami (8/22). New Orleans (8/24), Seattle (8/26), and Washington, DC (9/7). See http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2011/pdf/2011-19459.pdf

[QUOTE=jdcavo;53468]Public meetings are scheduled for Miami (8/22). New Orleans (8/24), Seattle (8/26), and Washington, DC (9/7). See http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2011/pdf/2011-19459.pdf[/QUOTE]
Mr. Cavo what is your feeling on timing of impementations of these proposed rules?
Is there a set timeline for meetings, comments, revision, then implementation?

[QUOTE=Flyer69;53472]Mr. Cavo what is your feeling on timing of impementations of these proposed rules?
Is there a set timeline for meetings, comments, revision, then implementation?

i.e. When can I expect the NMC to hand deliver my Unlimited Master License?

[QUOTE=Sukker;53475]i.e. When can I expect the NMC to hand deliver my Unlimited Master License?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, because Christmas is not that far away and baby needs new shoes.

How can you let a Chief OSV go to the new chief unlimited (chief engineer over 4000 hp management level)? The DDE unlimited can do it but will be restricted to 500 tons. But yet a Chief OSV can have unlimited tonnage? 95% of the chief osv are DDE unlimited. There definitely has to be a tonnage restriction put on it. Or just leave the OSV side as it is. Just blows me away that they do not need sea service but yet a chief limited does. Good luck getting their assessments signed off, no chief unlimited would ever sign off a chief OSV.

The proposed rules make it so that no one would to complete the required Management Level Classes for C/M or Master Unlimited. There is also a proposed crossover from Master OSV to Master Unlimited skipping C/M all together.

Still not a single comment about this from anyone. How many years have we been required to complete all of this training? Now bam overnight no more classes, just sea time, assessments, and test.

Where are the training schools on this (PMT, MAMA, MITAGS, etc.)?

Just a little info on myself I’m half way though the Management Level classes for my C/M and in total limbo on what to do. By the time I complete my training the NMC would have changed the rules and removed the training requirements. Its a good feeling to know that I am in the process of burning $30,000 to complete training that is about to become worthless. At least with cocaine and strippers I have a good time while wasting money.

If the NMC only knew how difficult it is to hit this moving target they have created. Every license, every renewal is a shot in the dark.

[QUOTE=power230;53501]How can you let a Chief OSV go to the new chief unlimited (chief engineer over 4000 hp management level)? The DDE unlimited can do it but will be restricted to 500 tons. But yet a Chief OSV can have unlimited tonnage? 95% of the chief osv are DDE unlimited. There definitely has to be a tonnage restriction put on it. Or just leave the OSV side as it is. Just blows me away that they do not need sea service but yet a chief limited does. Good luck getting their assessments signed off, no chief unlimited would ever sign off a chief OSV.[/QUOTE]

Don’t get confused with the STCW endorsement requirements, the service requirements, and professional requirements. The Chief OSV will not need an Unlimited Chief to sign assessments. Another Chief OSV will be able to do that since the endorsement you are talking about will be required to become a Chief OSV to begin with. Hence, no more time needed for the STCW endorsement, but this is separate of the professional requirements.

I just read through all 175 pages, and I also have a headache… It seems clear that I can go from my 1600T Master to STCW endorsement as Unlimited Master with sea time, some limited classes, and assessments, but what about “provide evidence of meeting the standard of competence specified in STCW A-II/2” it appears that all but ARPA can be from on board experience. Now that I have this STCW endorsement as Unlimited Master, can I use it on a U.S. vessel? The requirements for a “domestic deck officer endorsement” (11.402) still require half of the required experience be from vessels over 1600T/3000ITC, furthermore, it looks like you still need the normal progression of seatime while holding 3/m to go to 2/m, 2/m to c/m…

Does anyone else make any sense of this???

[QUOTE=TJ;53533]I just read through all 175 pages, and I also have a headache… It seems clear that I can go from my 1600T Master to STCW endorsement as Unlimited Master with sea time, some limited classes, and assessments, but what about “provide evidence of meeting the standard of competence specified in STCW A-II/2” it appears that all but ARPA can be from on board experience. Now that I have this STCW endorsement as Unlimited Master, can I use it on a U.S. vessel? The requirements for a “domestic deck officer endorsement” (11.402) still require half of the required experience be from vessels over 1600T/3000ITC, furthermore, it looks like you still need the normal progression of seatime while holding 3/m to go to 2/m, 2/m to c/m…

Does anyone else make any sense of this???[/QUOTE]

I didn’t study it too well but that’s what I read as well; progression to a Unl Master STCW has less requirements than to get the Unl Master endorsed on the MMC.