USCG Proposed Rule - STCW 2010

Check out the checklist for C/M

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/MCP-FM-NMC5-31%20Chief%20Mate%20AGT.pdf?list1=checklists%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-31+Chief+Mate+AGT.pdf&B1=GO!

No longer does it require classes!

[QUOTE=TJ;53533]I just read through all 175 pages, and I also have a headache… It seems clear that I can go from my 1600T Master to STCW endorsement as Unlimited Master with sea time, some limited classes, and assessments, but what about “provide evidence of meeting the standard of competence specified in STCW A-II/2” it appears that all but ARPA can be from on board experience. Now that I have this STCW endorsement as Unlimited Master, can I use it on a U.S. vessel? The requirements for a “domestic deck officer endorsement” (11.402) still require half of the required experience be from vessels over 1600T/3000ITC, furthermore, it looks like you still need the normal progression of seatime while holding 3/m to go to 2/m, 2/m to c/m…

Does anyone else make any sense of this???[/QUOTE]
Doesn’t your STCW already have A-II/2 on it?

[ATTACH]1326[/ATTACH]

I’ve combined the previous checklist and the current one off the NMC website. Look under the STCW Management Level Requirements Section

Definitely confused. Are you saying there will still be a OSV license? By reading that, it look just what I stated. Chief limited are considered management at the present time and would require sea service to obtain that license. So how does the Chief OSV not?

Come on now, did ya’ll really think for a moment that this would not be confusing?

[QUOTE=power230;53542]Definitely confused. Are you saying there will still be a OSV license? By reading that, it look just what I stated. Chief limited are considered management at the present time and would require sea service to obtain that license. So how does the Chief OSV not?[/QUOTE]

Because the OSV mariner has to be management level as well (some OSV’s are 30,000hp and 6,000 GT), on the STCW side (same requirements). That’s how I read it. That doesn’t take away the fact that to become unrestricted he still has to follow the path he does now.

[QUOTE=anchorman;53544]Because the OSV mariner has to be management level as well (some OSV’s are 30,000hp and 6,000 GT), on the STCW side (same requirements). That’s how I read it. That doesn’t take away the fact that to become unrestricted he still has to follow the path he does now.[/QUOTE]

The OSV Mariner still has to fulfill the C/M Seatime (i.e. 6 months) and tonnage to become Master Unlimited.

[QUOTE=Sukker;53560]The OSV Mariner still has to fulfill the C/M Seatime (i.e. 6 months) and tonnage to become Master Unlimited.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are no new loop holes or anything like that, and I’m sure for the most part, the Coast Guard’s biggest challenge was to make sure they don’t create major loop holes in such a big regulation change. STCW endorsements seem to be easier now, for the mariner, not in quantity or substance, but in flexibility with shipboard assessments, and I am trying to discern some of the double speak that I have read so far. Some assessments will be impractical on a ship, unless the owner gives you the ship for a day just to go play around - I don’t see that happening, but the opportunities are there more often then not when comparing getting into a class that isn’t taught on your scheduled time off. It’s easy to get confused with license requirements (service) and STCW officer endorsements, which are two different animals.

[QUOTE=anchorman;53569]Yes, there are no new loop holes or anything like that, and I’m sure for the most part, the Coast Guard’s biggest challenge was to make sure they don’t create major loop holes in such a big regulation change. STCW endorsements seem to be easier now, for the mariner, not in quantity or substance, but in flexibility with shipboard assessments, and I am trying to discern some of the double speak that I have read so far. Some assessments will be impractical on a ship, unless the owner gives you the ship for a day just to go play around - I don’t see that happening, but the opportunities are there more often then not when comparing getting into a class that isn’t taught on your scheduled time off. It’s easy to get confused with license requirements (service) and STCW officer endorsements, which are two different animals.[/QUOTE]

Ok, maybe in the end I haven’t gotten as …ked like I originally thought. Especially when the owner handed over the vessel for not 1 day but 4 days to burn fuel and do things that I would normally never have the opportunity to do. Make sure we keep record of me saying something positive because this never happens.

8 years with the same employer in the Northeast.

If you want any Near Coastal license over 200 GRT you have to take the required Operational Level STCW courses. Juggled the work schedule, lost some wages in the process, and sacrificed time at home in order to get my 1600 Ton Mate.

One year and five months after I get my license they change the policy and I could now do assessments for the majority of the courses and test.

Now put the word “Advanced” in front of every class I took at the operational level and that’s what I have to do if I should ever choose to upgrade to Master in order to comply with the management level requirements.

Can’t upgrade my 3rd Mate to 2nd Mate and take a crossover test because I’m working as a Mate on an Inland tug. It simply isn’t possible for me to have sufficient inland sea time (or anywhere close to it) in order to upgrade the 1600 Ton Mate to 1600 Ton Master prior to 1/1/2012.

I try to be a positive person, but I’m having a hard time swallowing this one at the moment.

[QUOTE=Cal;53580]8 years with the same employer in the Northeast.

If you want any Near Coastal license over 200 GRT you have to take the required Operational Level STCW courses. Juggled the work schedule, lost some wages in the process, and sacrificed time at home in order to get my 1600 Ton Mate.

One year and five months after I get my license they change the policy and I could now do assessments for the majority of the courses and test.

Now put the word “Advanced” in front of every class I took at the operational level and that’s what I have to do if I should ever choose to upgrade to Master in order to comply with the management level requirements.

Can’t upgrade my 3rd Mate to 2nd Mate and take a crossover test because I’m working as a Mate on an Inland tug. It simply isn’t possible for me to have sufficient inland sea time (or anywhere close to it) in order to upgrade the 1600 Ton Mate to 1600 Ton Master prior to 1/1/2012.

I try to be a positive person, but I’m having a hard time swallowing this one at the moment.[/QUOTE]

And the thing is, you may not have been required to do those classes either, even before the new policy 07-11 came out. Same thing will go for the Chief Mate/ Master courses, and I mean now, not in many months after the new SNPRM becomes rule. There was a driving force of why policy 01-02 got changed, and it certainly wasn’t because it was right to begin with, or it would not have changed. Sounds logical. I think several appeals by mariners, to USCG headquarters (an area that Cavo cannot speak to most likely), was the driving force behind the change, but I’m glad it did change for the future mariner. There were many requests to change policy letter 01-02 over the years, but I never thought requirements in NMC policy were overstepping authority by not having regulations in place validate those requirements. Think about it, there is nothing anywhere that says you have to be in a 2 week class for ship handling - besides in a NMC policy letter. What weight does a policy letter hold if there is nothing in the regulations, or STCW for that matter? There are requirements obviously, but nothing to the extent of what NMC policy has mandated in one certain way. At least there is a mechanism for a mariner to appeal to USCG headquarter, but too bad we need it, and thank god it works.

You’re right Anchorman. Part of the problem for me though was merely trying to figure this industry out. I never thought of garnering the experience and then appealing a denial. Armed with my experience, the whole of it, not just the courses and the license process I went through, and recent events, you can bet I will be documenting and arguing it the next time. Just frustrated at the moment and not willing to bury my head in CFR’s to make sure I dot all of my i’s and cross all of my t’s.

1. Grandfathering and Transitional
    Provisions
    The Coast Guard proposes transitional
    and grandfathering provisions
    consistent with the 2010 amendments to
    the STCW Convention. The 2010
    amendments to the STCW Convention
    will enter into force on January 1, 2012.
    However, STCW Regulation I/15 on
    transitional provisions, allows
    requirements to come into effect over a
    5-year period in order to avoid
    disruption to the maritime industry.
    STCW Regulation I/15 also provides
    that a Party may continue, until January
    1, 2017, to issue certificates (MMC) in
    accordance with the credentialing rules
    it has in place before the 2010
    amendments come into force (January 1,
  1. only with respect to seafarers who
    begin their sea service or their approved
    maritime training before July 1, 2013.
    Candidates who begin their service or
    their training on or after July 1, 2013,
    will be subject to the full application of
    the revised STCW requirements. The
    Coast Guard has drafted this SNPRM to
    allow for this phase-in process. These
    provisions require any seafarer who
    holds an STCW endorsement prior to
    January 1, 2012, to provide evidence of
    meeting the appropriate standard of
    competence for the applicable STCW
    endorsement by January 1, 2017.
    Domestic requirements provided in
    this proposed rule will be transitioned
    during a 5-year period (after the
    effective date of the final rule) to
    coincide with the renewal of existing
    domestic endorsements. Individuals
    seeking an original credential or raise of
    grade to an existing credential during
    this period, and who begin training or
    service before January 1, 2012, need
    only meet the requirements in place
    before that date. Those individuals who
    start training or service on or after
    January 1, 2012, must meet all
    provisions described in the final rule.

Seems to me we can go about the current way until 2017 with upgrades and so forth.

Anchorman, so are the C/M classes a thing of the past? I saw the checklist that Sukker posted.

[QUOTE=PR-9;53598]Anchorman, so are the C/M classes a thing of the past? I saw the checklist that Sukker posted.[/QUOTE]

I am saying that I would not take any course that wasn’t in the CFR, in regulation, complete assessments, and appeal any requirement past that.

[QUOTE=power230;53591]Seems to me we can go about the current way until 2017 with upgrades and so forth.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Power, I had read that a couple of times but I guess I was glazing over it in a panic. It may make things interesting over the years but it’s not a complete show stopper the way I was interpreting it to be.

Can someone give a page number for the references to changes in unlimited tonnage requirements? I an trying to view the .pdf on my phone and I need a place to start.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;53631]Can someone give a page number for the references to changes in unlimited tonnage requirements? I an trying to view the .pdf on my phone and I need a place to start.[/QUOTE]

Try page 81, as far as Officer Endorsements over 3,000 tons…that is the biggest change I have seen.

Wow. A 1600 ton master can upgrade to unlimited master with 6 months of sea service as master? Nice…

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;53634]Wow. A 1600 ton master can upgrade to unlimited master with 6 months of sea service as master? Nice…[/QUOTE]

That only has to do with the STCW from what I can tell.