STCW Final Rule

I just downloaded the long awaited USCG Final Rule for implementing STCW, published on Christmas Eve. 200+ pages will make good reading on my next trans-Pacific flight. Anyone find any surprises yet?

I did notice there’s no provision for a dynamic positioning B-V/f endorsement (yet.)

It looks like the OICNW and Management level STCW classes are coming back.

(4) Provide evidence of having satisfactorily completed approved training in the following subject areas:
(i) Medical first-aid provider.
(ii) Radar observer.
[B]U Search and rescue.[/U][/B]
(iv) Basic and advanced firefighting in
accordance with § 11.303 of this subpart.
(v) Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats.
(vi) Visual signaling.
(vii) Bridge resource management (BRM).
([B][U]viii) Terrestrial and celestial navigation, and electronic navigation systems.[/U][/B]
(ix) Watchkeeping, including International Regulations for Preventing
Collisions at Sea (COLREGS) and IMO standard marine communication phrases (SMCP).
([U][B]x) Cargo handling and stowage.
(xi) Ship handling.
(xii) Stability and ship construction. (xiii) Meteorology.[/B][/U]
(xiv) ARPA, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(xv) GMDSS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(xvi) ECDIS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.

“Approved training” could mean successfully completed assessments by an approved assessor…not necessarily classes.

[QUOTE=dgillum214;127104]It looks like the OICNW and Management level STCW classes are coming back.

Not a lot new training for engineers, I thought there would be more. And you can get a management level III-2 endorsement as a 2a/e without upgrading to 1a/e. So does that mean a US 2a/e can sail as what we call a 1st on a foreign flag ship?

1. Provide evidence of having satisfactorily completed approved training in the following areas: (i) Engineroom resource management (ERM) if not completed at the operational level. (ii) Leadership and managerial skills. (iii) Management of electrical and electronic control equipment

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013...2013-28032.pdf

interesting read, and I look forward to seeing how this will play out. Also, with these new classes, who is going to provide the training? hopefully they get on the ball quick, I can imagine south Louisiana tech, maybe seaschool in Bayou lebatre, hopefully Clatsop in oregon, providing these courses.

[QUOTE=rjbpilot;127152]“Approved training” could mean successfully completed assessments by an approved assessor…not necessarily classes.[/QUOTE]

As far as I can tell, the Coast Guard does not consider onboard assessments to be training, whether “approved” or not.

[QUOTE=rjbpilot;127152]“Approved training” could mean successfully completed assessments by an approved assessor…not necessarily classes.[/QUOTE]

This is wrong. It means Coast Guard approved training. Mostly courses, but it could be some form of shipboard training. It’s is NOT just doing an assessment.

Aka keep forking over that money! This is how the government wants to crack the Jones Act…

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;127296]Aka keep forking over that money! This is how the government wants to crack the Jones Act…[/QUOTE]

In most of the rest of the World the STCW courses cost more than they do in the US. I hear that most foreign flag companies do not pay for STCW courses.

All of the classes listed were part of the PMI Workboat Program, so I know they have taught them in the past.

So does this mean the full smash of classes are back for 500/1600/3M?

Attention aspiring hawsepipers: the current stcw loophole known as policy 11-07 is under attack. Soon barriers to career ascension by working mariners will be so difficult only an elite few (those without families and mortgages) will be able to afford the training and sacrifices required to meet the neverceasing onslought of shifting regulatory ambiguity that has become the Merchant Mariner Credential. Unless maritime employers assume the burden of these costs including wages paid during training and licensing advocation, the hawsepipe method will come to its tradgic untimely death, ironically amidst one of the single largest expansions in Jones Act trade during this lifetime. Good luck.

So as I am on a netbook and page 1 of those 218 made my eyes hurt (!) can anyone tell me if my UK issued STCW certificates will now be recognized - eg firefighting/survival/medical/personal safety.

I know I still can’t get a USCG license until I sort my Citizenship sorted but…

W.

[QUOTE=PilotWolf;127602]So as I am on a netbook and page 1 of those 218 made my eyes hurt (!) can anyone tell me if my UK issued STCW certificates will now be recognized - eg firefighting/survival/medical/personal safety.

I know I still can’t get a USCG license until I sort my Citizenship sorted but…

W.[/QUOTE]
Its pretty doubtful. They will want to see uscg approved courses. But try a search on the new rules.

WOW!!! And it starts January 23rd, talk about not giving anybody any time to prepare for them.

I knew about having to start doing a medical exam every 2 years and refresher for BST, Fire Fighting, and PSC, but did STCW 2010 screw up the licensing scheme. No more giving away 3000 ITC or OSV license.

Lets start. This is what I’m taking away from it so Im sure Im not fully understanding all of this quite yet.

§ 11.311 Requirements to qualify for an
STCW endorsement as master of vessels of
500 GT or more and less than 3,000 GT
(management level).

Provide evidence of 36 months of
service as OICNW on vessels operating
in oceans, near-coastal waters, and/or
Great Lakes.

So no more getting your 3000ITC at the same time you get your 1600GRT if you’re like me and going from 500 to 1600 after only 2 years of sea time, looks like you have to wait another year.

(i) Advanced shiphandling.
(ii) Advanced stability.
(iii) Advanced meteorology.
(v) Search and rescue.

Well looks like more classes for anybody looking to upgrade. At least another $10 grand easy.

(vi) Management of medical care.

Is this medical care provider or is it the more involved medical person in charge which can only be taken with in a year of MCP?

(iv) Leadership and managerial skills.

What is this BRM?

For a renewal of an STCW
endorsement as master of vessels of 500
GT or more and less than 3,000 GT to
be valid on or after January 1, 2017,
each candidate must provide evidence
of successful completion of approved
training in the following:
(1) Leadership and managerial skills.
(2) ECDIS, if serving on a vessel with
this equipment.

For those that will be grandfathered will have to have the leadership and managerial skills class at least, what ever that is.

Now the fun really starts.

§ 11.493 Master (OSV).
For those officers who previously
received a 500 GRT limitation on their
national officer endorsement due to the
definition of OSV existing before
October 15, 2010, the limitation will be
raised to 1,600 GRT to be consistent
with other national officer
endorsements.
(a) The minimum service required to
qualify an applicant for an endorsement
as master (OSV) of offshore supply
vessels less than 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT is
24 months of total service as mate, chief
mate, or master of ocean or near-coastal
and/or Great Lakes on self-propelled
vessels of more than 100 GRT. Service
on inland waters may substitute for up
to 50 percent of the required service.

Well there is no longer a 500grt 3000itc OSV license . Those that do have a 500 grt 3000 itc OSV will be automatically upgraded.
Also it looks like a 3000 itc OSV will not be giving out to 500 grt non trade restricted if you ask for it anymore.

Prepare for you minds to be blown!

At
least one-half of the required experience
must be served as chief mate.

WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!
I get more into this in the following about 3000+ itc licenses.

The minimum service required to
qualify an applicant for an endorsement
as master (OSV) of 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT
or more is 24 months of total service as
mate, chief mate, or master of ocean or
near-coastal and/or Great Lakes on selfpropelled
vessels of more than 100 GRT.
At least one-half of the required
experience must be served as chief mate
and be obtained on vessels of 1,600
GRT/3,000 GT or more. In no case will the
limitation exceed 10,000 GRT/GT for
OSVs…

Did you just hear that loud explosion?
That was the head of every Personnel, OPS, and Crewing Manager exploding at the same time at every company that has any OSV’s with just a GT tonnage and more so for those with Large OSV’s. Also that equally loud explosion heard on a drill ship in the GOM was C. Captain’s as now there is a 10,000 ton OSV license.

Now Anchorman and Capt. Lee have been saying for a while that there was a 10,000 ton license coming. They said it would be more involved then it is now and would involve classes. I’m assuming that the above classes to get your regular 3000 itc is what is expected. I also noticed that Harvey’s new IMR boats are going to be over 7000 GT so I suspected something like this was on the way soon, but did anybody see that part about the chief mate? My question is how in the hell is anybody supposed to get this license on an OSV if you have to serve as a Chief Mate since no boat I know of requires one, even the current large OSV’s?

To get your Chief Mates just replace the above with Mate and you get the idea. Now I didn’t see any tonnage limitations when it comes to just plain Mate OSV, so does that raise the question that any Mate OSV can run any size OSV or does one pretty much have to go back to deck for 6 months as a AB on a Large OSV to get the Chief OSV above 3000 ITC?

On the flip side you guys that already have a 6000 itc OSV, you’re day rates are about to explode.

Now there is this in both the Master and Chief Mate section about gaining tonnage if you never served over 3000 itc.

a tonnage
limitation will be placed on the officer
endorsement based on the applicant’s
qualifying experience. The endorsement
will be limited to the maximum tonnage
on which at least 25 percent of the
required experience was obtained, or
150 percent of the maximum tonnage on
which at least 50 percent of the service
was obtained, whichever is higher.

So im guess that for most of us with a 3000 itc we could get a 4500 itc?

Im just going to stop right here and digest a little more and try and under stand what this means for me. Hopfully they will let me at least keep my 3000 itc OSV when I get my 1600 GRT Master later this year.

So now we can get unlimited master licenses on an OSV since there will be a “chief mate”??

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;127776]And it starts January 23rd, talk about not giving anybody any time to prepare for them.[/QUOTE]

Only the medical certificate parts go into effect January 24, 2014. The rest is March 24, 2014. (the normal lead time on any regulation is 30 days). There is grandfathering. If you began the service or training for an endorsement, you can qualify under the old rules until December 31, 2016 (for STCW) or March 24, 2019 for national endorsements.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;127776]Is this [Management of Medical Care] medical care provider or is it the more involved medical person in charge which can only be taken with in a year of MCP? [/QUOTE]

Neither. It’s a separate course of about one day. If you have Medical PIC, it was one module of that course. It was among the courses that were specified in the old NMC Policy Letter 4-02.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;127776]What is this BRM [Leadership and Managerial Skills]? For those that will be grandfathered will have to have the leadership and managerial skills class at least, what ever that is. [/QUOTE]

No, it’s a new requirement to meet a new Competence/KUP in the 2010 STCW. It’s pretty much what is to sounds like, plus a lot of stuff on international conventions like SOLAS, MARPOL, etc. See the corresponding competence and KUPs in the 2010 STCW for more info on the content. Note that the requirement for Leadership and Managerial Skills is to complete approved training, so a course will be required.

In contrast, note that the requirement for “Leadership and Teamworking Skills” for OICNW and OICEW is to “…meet the standard of competence” and not “complete approved training…” That means assessments rather than a course may be acceptable (more info will be provided in future NVICs).

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;127776]My question is how in the hell is anybody supposed to get this license on an OSV if you have to serve as a Chief Mate since no boat I know of requires one, even the current large OSV’s? [/QUOTE]

Every vessel with more than one deck officer has a Chief Mate. See the definition of “Chief Mate” in 46 CFR 10.107 (new or old).

[QUOTE=“jdcavo;127783”]

Every vessel with more than one deck officer has a Chief Mate. See the definition of “Chief Mate” in 46 CFR 10.107 (new or old).[/QUOTE]

If only my company would recognize this!

So those of us with 500grt non trade restricted with a 3000 itc OSV license can still get a a 1600/3000 license by just taking the management class and sea time if we got out license before March 24?

[QUOTE=jdcavo;127783]Every vessel with more than one deck officer has a Chief Mate. See the definition of “Chief Mate” in 46 CFR 10.107 (new or old).[/QUOTE]

Chief mate means the deck officer next in seniority to the master and upon whom the command of the vessel will fall in the event of incapacity of the master.

My understanding comes from when Anchorman was getting his unlimited and he had to leave OSV’s and get on an unlimited vessel with a COI that required a Chief Mate and he had to work that spot for 360 days. So now your saying that even if the COI on the vessel just says one Master and one Mate, that time will be considered Chief Mate time and the office will not get in trouble for writing our sea time letter stating so? If that’s the case whats to keep the companies that do run 4 and 5 man wheel houses for certain oil companies from just saying everybody is the chief mate?

Thanks for helping shed light on this stuff and having quick answers.

They adress the “chief” mate issue in the discussion somewhere. They more or less agreed that if you are the only mate, then your experience is to be counted as “chief” mate. It’s in the thousand or two paged item published a few days before the final rule. Could be wrong but I recall reading something like that.

Just because you may be considered a chief mate it doesn’t mean you are a chief mate with the correct tonnage for an upgrade to unlimited master.