1600 Master to 3/M

<span style="font-family: “Times New Roman”; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 7pt; line-height: normal; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;] </span><!–[endif]–>I was evaluated by REC Kearneysville in June
2007 for a 1600 ton Master and 2<sup>nd</sup> Mate Unlimited. It was
determined that my service (all on Navy Combatants) meets the requirements for both. The
difference being that I only needed 4 STCW courses in order to test for my 1600
ton Master and/or 17 STCW courses to test for 2<sup>nd</sup> unlimited. I
opted to forgo the 2<sup>nd</sup> Unlimited for now and I tested for and have
received my 1600 ton Master Oceans. If I understand the CFR’s correctly,
after serving 360 days in the capacity of, and while holding a 1600 ton Master,
I’m eligible for an upgrade to 3<sup>rd</sup> Unlimited. My question is –
since my “service meets the requirements for a 2<sup>nd</sup><!–[if !supportLists]–> Mate
Unlimited” as delineated in my approval letter dated Jun 04, 2007, can I
apply for my Unlimited license prior to serving the 360 days as a 1600 ton
Master?<span style="font-family: “Times New Roman”; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 7pt; line-height: normal; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;]</span><p class="MsoNormal]

You’re never going to get around doing the STCW
classes, regardless of how much time you put on the 1600 license.<br><br>As I understand it your approval for 2mate is good for a year, so if you do the STCW stuff within that time frame you can test and get the 2mate without reapplying… I THINK… <br><br>Our friend Mr. Cavo can clear this up for you, if he chooses to.<br><br>CA<br>

CA, why am I never going to get around to STCW classes? You must hang around with some pretty unmotivated people.<br><br>Is my interpretation of the CFR wrong? Are you not eligible for 3rd Unlimited after fulfilling the requirements of para 3.© below? <span class="updatebodytest]<h5>§ 10.407 Service requirements for third mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons.</h5>
(a) The minimum service or training required to qualify an applicant
for license as third mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor
vessels of any gross tons is:</span><span class="updatebodytest]<br><br>3.© While holding a license as master of
ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 1,600
gross tons, one year of service as master on vessels of over 200 gross
tons operating on ocean or near coastal waters will qualify the
applicant for a license as third mate of ocean or near coastal steam or
motor vessels of any gross tons.<br><br>In addition, NMC Policy Letter 01-02, enclosure 1para d (on page 6) says that “no further testing or assessments are required”. Does this Also mean that no further STCW courses are required? <br><br><br></span>

It depends on when you tested for the 1,600ton Master. If you took the new OICNW test (which you should have), then you can go to 3rd Mate. No further testing or assessment is required.

Anchorman,<br>I took the new test.

I didn’t say you weren’t motivated and so wouldn’t get around <strong>TO</strong> taking them, I meant you can’t avoid taking them, especially if you want to get beyond 3m.

My bad. DO you know of anyplace other than thru AMO or MMP where the upper level courses are offered?

No, I always go to MITAGS or PMI. PMI used to do Chief Mate to Master but no longer for some reason. I think Capt Lee and anchorman did theirs somewhere in Florida???

I’m guessing that would be AMO in Dania beach.

Yeah, that’s the place. I heard they only do union anymore.

I’ve been talking to them. If they have empty seats in a class they will let you attend but you have to pay. Expensive but at least I can stretch it out.

mid atlantic maritime in virginia beach has most if not all upper level management classes

MPT offers the OICNW for 3rd Mate which is what you need first. I don’t think the CG will issue your license without completing all STCW for 3rd/2nd Mate with out all operational classes. Once you complete the training they should issue your license without further testing.

I was told, while in the process of getting my commercial license, that the proof of training from several Naval courses I submitted satisfied the STCW course requirements for 3/M - 2/M. We will see once I make the application.

This thread has confused me from the beginning. If he tested and has been issued a 1,600ton Master Oceans license, then there is no STCW classes to take. He is qualified by STCW "OPerational Level" by virtue of having the license and STCW issued. Operational level includes 500ton to 3000 ton (ITC) Master and up to 2nd Mate unlimited. STCW should not come into play again until "Management Level", Chief Mate. And he doesn't even have to test for 3rd Mate. &lt;br&gt;       Since you have to turn in a new application, I doubt they'll let you go to 2nd without holding a 3rd, but produce the letter and see what happens. It makes sense if they let you go to 2nd based on the letter, but there is no regulation that allows this to happen.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Since you did take the OICNW exam, you fall under this, it says MATE, but OICNW is the same for all grades:&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;(1) Applicants for this license are required to have qualified as Able Seaman per 46 CFR 10.401. See Exam Structure Sheets&lt;br&gt;5-1 and 5-3.&lt;br&gt;(&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);]2) Applicants holding a 1600 GRT license who obtained their Mate 1600 license after 02/01/02 by completing the above&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);]Mate – OICNW exam may apply for a third mate’s license after acquiring the sea service required by 46 CFR 10.402 and&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);]10.407. No further testing or assessments are required&lt;/span&gt;.&lt;br&gt;&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);](3) Applicants holding a 1600 GRT license who obtained their Mate 1600 license before 02/01/02 and wish to apply for a&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]third mate’s license after completing the required sea service must take the Third mate – OICNW exam.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);](4) Applicants holding a Mate, Oceans license and an STCW Certificate authorizing service on vessels of not more than 500&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]gross registered tons may increase the tonnage of their license to Mate, Oceans NMT 1600 GRT without further testing.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);](5) Applicants who do not provide documentation of having completed an approved program of training for Officer in Charge&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]of a Navigational Watch, or required training and assessment and 3 years of approved sea service may have the scope of&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]their license increased to authorize service on vessels of not more than 1600 gross registered tons restricted to service on&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]the Great Lakes, inland waters and rivers without further examination.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);](6) Applicants raising the grade of their license from NMT 200 GRT for service on ocean routes must meet the requirements&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]in note (1) and pass the above modules.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);](7) Applicants for an ocean or near coastal license greater than 200 GRT must also pass a practical signaling (flashing light)&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]exam if they have not done so at least once previously in accordance with STCW.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);](8) Applicants may miss two (2) of the fifteen (15) questions in module 194XX (Chart Plotting) and pass.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);](9) Courses approved for Celestial Navigation for 500/1600 Tons can NOT be used to satisfy this module for Third Mate -&lt;/span&gt;&lt;strongr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]&lt;span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);]OICNW or Second Mate.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/strongr&gt;&lt;/strongr&gt;

Anchorman,<br><br>I agree. I am going to apply for 2/M and provide a copy of the letter AND all of my original sea service documentation just in case. I figure the worst they can do is say no to the 2/M and tell me I only qualify for 3/M.

I was wondering if anyone knows which tests i will have to take to go from 3M AGT to 1600 Master.<br>I am under the new system so i got my 2m with 3m seatime but decided to go for the 1600 Master for the extra opportunitues.<br><br>Tim

70 question cross-over exam (I think). Check the deck guide on uscg.mil/stcw website.

<P>I believe it’s a 70 question exam like anchorman says, but I believe you have to already have your 2M. I don’t think it works if you still hold a 3M.</P>

I just spoke with a gentleman who did his 2/M and 1600 Master on the same application. Once he passed his test he received both his 2/M and 1600 Master at the same time.