New OICNW Policy Letter

The Coast Guard has issued a new policy letter for qualifying for STCW endorsements as officer in charge of a navigational watch (OICNW). The policy letter cancels NMC policy letter 01-02.

The policy is (or will be) available at:
http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;dct=FR+PR+N+O+SR;rpp=10;po=0;D=USCG-2011-0525

letter can be found here

http://www.brymar-consulting.com/wp-content/uploads/Misc/POL_11-07.pdf

As a 1,600 Master Oceans who tested after 2 February 2002, per page 6, I do not have to test any further for my 3rd Unlimited

or

Because I was never a mate 1,600 I have to test.

From what I read, if I had a mate’s license, I would not have to test. Since I did not, I have to test. I am confused… it seems to come down to the assessments which I have completed. It is still a little gray to me. How would holding a mates license qualify me 3rd and a Master’s license not?

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;51873]As a 1,600 Master Oceans who tested after 2 February 2002, per page 6, I do not have to test any further for my 3rd Unlimited

or

Because I was never a mate 1,600 I have to test.

From what I read, if I had a mate’s license, I would not have to test. Since I did not, I have to test. I am confused… it seems to come down to the assessments which I have completed. It is still a little gray to me. How would holding a mates license qualify me 3rd and a Master’s license not?[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with “superior” licenses. It’s pretty simple. On 2/1/02 the test for mate 500, mate 1600, and mate (osv) became the same. So if you took that test once, you don’t take it again. That’s it. If your path to master 500/16700 did not include mate 500 or mate 1600, you haven’t taken that test, and there are still required subjects for 3rd mate you haven’t been tested on.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;51875]It has nothing to do with “superior” licenses. It’s pretty simple. On 2/1/02 the test for mate 500, mate 1600, and mate (osv) became the same. So if you took that test once, you don’t take it again. That’s it. If your path to master 500/16700 did not include mate 500 or mate 1600, you haven’t taken that test, and there are still required subjects for 3rd mate you haven’t been tested on.[/QUOTE]

My path to Master 1600 was through Mate OSV and was at one point endorsed II/1 would this now give me a clear shot through to Third Mate Unlimited? I am also a Master 6000/OSV so I have plenty of Unlimited tonnage time. Thank You for all your help Mr. Cavo.

Nevermind I read the policy letter and it states the control sheets stays the same.

I read the policy letter,it seems to say that a mate NO longer has to do ALL the courses that were required,is this correct or did I read something wrong???

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;51886]I read the policy letter,it seems to say that a mate NO longer has to do ALL the courses that were required,is this correct or did I read something wrong???[/QUOTE]

That’s the way I read it. Though I have been wrong before.

this is big news for AB’s, they are all talking about it right now here on the HP1. I have been cautioning them though: what the USCG gives so freely they may well take away just as rapidly!!
Having just completed all my CMM Management Level classes last week, if the 'coasties do the same thing for the Management level courses I will be VERY bummed.

why did the USCG make this change? it all seems very random…

I really wish it were easier to interpret the Policy Letters. It looks like I will have to quit this oilfield shit, get a degree in Law then come back so i can figure out what I rate and what I don’t. lol

[QUOTE=jdcavo;51860]The Coast Guard has issued a new policy letter for qualifying for STCW endorsements as officer in charge of a navigational watch (OICNW). The policy letter cancels NMC policy letter 01-02.
http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;dct=FR+PR+N+O+SR;rpp=10;po=0;D=USCG-2011-0525[/QUOTE]

Hey, great news, James. I just have one question…

[B][I]CAN I GET MY %?@*# 15,000 DOLLARS BACK!?!?![/I][/B]

Would someone please translate that letter into American English?

It clears out a lot of the gray areas from NMC Policy Letter No. 01-02. It looks like I won’t be getting out of testing, but at least now I know.

I haven’t had any luck with the “regulations.gov” site at all for the last 8 hours. The other links contain the letter only without the enclosures. But I found the whole thing at the below link.
http://homeport.uscg.mil/cgi-bin/st/portal/uscg_docs/MyCG/Editorial/20110701/CG-543%20Policy%20Letter%2011-07.pdf?id=c8f9493590c20d6d8ffae49e592e68587a6359e5

Does anyone know how long the assessments stay valid? How old can they be before they would have to be redone?

For example, stability isn’t listed as a required class. Are stability questions are still on the test? If not wouldn’t most people need a class to figure out stability enough to pass the test?

[QUOTE=DeckApe;51911]For example, stability isn’t listed as a required class. Are stability questions are still on the test? If not wouldn’t most people need a class to figure out stability enough to pass the test?[/QUOTE]

If someone doesn’t already know how to work the stability problems then they have the choice of attending a class. If someone does know how to do it they are no longer forced to. At least that’s how I read it.

[QUOTE=eThib;51904]Hey, great news, James. I just have one question…

[B][I]CAN I GET MY %?@*# 15,000 DOLLARS BACK!?!?![/I][/B][/QUOTE]

No shit…Oh well, I can look at it two ways…Give it PMI or my ex…lol…I think the money was better spent this way…

[QUOTE=jdcavo;51875]It has nothing to do with “superior” licenses. It’s pretty simple. On 2/1/02 the test for mate 500, mate 1600, and mate (osv) became the same. So if you took that test once, you don’t take it again. That’s it. If your path to master 500/16700 did not include mate 500 or mate 1600, you haven’t taken that test, and there are still required subjects for 3rd mate you haven’t been tested on.[/QUOTE]

I did not use “superior” describing my license, I was going with the logic that the test for master would include all the information for the mates licenses AND extra because it is a master’s license. Far be it for me to use logic when trying the understand a Policy Letter that is trying to simplify things and is not even a legally binding after reading the disclaimer (Section 5) My alternate approach would be that being a master and the testing and training involves and I can sign off the assessments for mates, I have fulfilled the spirit of the legal requirements.

I will be contacting Luke Harden @ 202.372.1206 “who is responsible for implenting this guidance” and recommend every 1,600 master do the same thing. Mr. Harden has some 'splaining to do and think the more he does, the better off he will be doing and justifying his job and Captain Christensen.

Perhaps the 1,600 Master test should be revised…

[QUOTE=jdcavo;51860]The Coast Guard has issued a new policy letter for qualifying for STCW endorsements as officer in charge of a navigational watch (OICNW). The policy letter cancels NMC policy letter 01-02.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;dct=FR+PR+N+O+SR;rpp=10;po=0;D=USCG-2011-0525[/QUOTE]

Very good news. I read the policy letter and I think they got this one right. When Stew was at NMC, this new policy letter was the same interpretation of what Policy letter 01-02 was back then. Particularly for the 1600 ton Master to 3rd Mate upgrade. Very many mariners, including myself, did upgrade to 3rd Mate with the assessments and the OICNW test under 01-02, with the blessing of Stew - AND NO CLASSES REQUIRED. Then, all of a sudden, mariners where required to take all the courses doing the same upgrade!? - that never made any sense. You had to pay up to $15,000 to a private party to prove yourself to the Coast Guard at a level lower than your current competence to take a test and prove it all over again…Que Pasa? For a 1st issue, I can understand, but I mean really - what was going through their heads? Too bad it took a long time and another policy letter to get where we started. Somewhere along the line, someone lost sight of the fact that the reason policy letter 01-02 applied specifically to 500, 1600, and 3rd Mates - those were the possible 1st issue licenses in which OICNW requirements can apply. Now experience is being treated as it should be. Thanks for that USCG.

Now, it’s very basic. If you took the test, you do not a have to take it again. If you never took the test, then you have to take it, but without having to take remedial classes to get to the point of approval for those that have experience.

FOR ALL OF YOU 1600 TON MASTERS OUT THERE THAT NEVER TOOK AN OICNW TEST, START STUDYING NOW FOR 3RD. FOR ALL OF YOU RELATIVELY NEW LICENSED MARINERS THAT TOOK THE OICNW TEST - MERRY FREAKING CHRISTMAS.

New letter sounds great but if you don’t have the training in such subjects as terrestrial and celestial navigation, how in the world are you going to pass the test?