New OICNW Policy Letter

Shipmates can help you, books are cheap and the internet is free!

Many people will find out the classes are worth taking, but at least there is now a choice.

Iā€™m on a ship and the satellite internet is kinda slow so I canā€™t research myself so someone please give me a summary of the policy letter change.

Specifically, how it will effect an AB Unlimited trying to get a 3/M Oceans. Of the 20 odd clasess I was previously required to take, which ones DONā€™T I have to take now?

Thanks

[QUOTE=Widgeonus;51927]New letter sounds great but if you donā€™t have the training in such subjects as terrestrial and celestial navigation, how in the world are you going to pass the test?[/QUOTE]

Simpleā€¦study and learn the material.

Iā€™ll make an OCR of 07-11 and put it into another thread for those without good Internet access.

Its much easier to list what you MUST take. About six weeks and ten grand. Less without ARPA and GMDSS.

ā€¢ Basic Safety Training

ā€¢ Radar Observer

ā€¢ Advanced Fire Fighting

ā€¢ Bridge Resource Management

ā€¢ Automatic Radar Plotting Aids (If this course is not completed, the STCW endorsement will limit service to vessels that are not equipped with ARPA)

ā€¢ Global Maritime Distress and Safety System. (If this course is completed, the STCW endorsement will note that it is valid for service in the GMDSS)

[QUOTE=anchorman;51923]Very good news. I read the policy letter and I think they got this one right. When Stew was at NMC, this new policy letter was the same interpretation of what Policy letter 01-02 was back then. Particularly for the 1600 ton Master to 3rd Mate upgrade. Very many mariners, including myself, did upgrade to 3rd Mate with the assessments and the OICNW test under 01-02, with the blessing of Stew - AND NO CLASSES REQUIRED. Then, all of a sudden, mariners where required to take all the courses doing the same upgrade!? - that never made any sense. You had to pay up to $15,000 to a private party to prove yourself to the Coast Guard at a level lower than your current competence to take a test and prove it all over againā€¦Que Pasa? For a 1st issue, I can understand, but I mean really - what was going through their heads? Too bad that it took a long time and another policy letter to get where we started. Somewhere along the line, someone lost sight of the fact that the reason policy letter 01-02 applied specifically to 500, 1600, and 3rd Mates was those were the possible 1st issue licenses in which OICNW requirements can apply. Now experience is being treated as it should be. Thanks for that USCG.

Now, itā€™s very basic. If you took the test, you do not a have to take it again. If you never took the test, then you have to take it, but without having to take remedial classes to get to the point of approval for those that have experience.

FOR ALL OF YOU 1600 TON MASTERS OUT THERE THAT NEVER TOOK AN OICNW TEST, START STUDYING NOW FOR 3RD. FOR ALL OF YOU RELATIVELY NEW LICENSED MARINERS THAT TOOK THE OICNW TEST - MERRY FREAKING CHRISTMAS.[/QUOTE]

Hey Anchorman: Called T-bone over to the boat today, got his shit squared awayā€¦you will be getting a phone call.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;51933]Iā€™ll make an OCR of 07-11 and put it into another thread for those without good Internet access.

Its much easier to list what you MUST take. About six weeks and ten grand. Less without ARPA and GMDSS.

ā€¢ Basic Safety Training

ā€¢ Radar Observer

ā€¢ Advanced Fire Fighting

ā€¢ Bridge Resource Management

ā€¢ Automatic Radar Plotting Aids (If this course is not completed, the STCW endorsement will limit service to vessels that are not equipped with ARPA)

ā€¢ Global Maritime Distress and Safety System. (If this course is completed, the STCW endorsement will note that it is valid for service in the GMDSS)[/QUOTE]

Do some research it is possible to get it all for freeā€¦I never paid for any of my classes and also got reimbursed for housingā€¦ .with no obligationā€¦ most schools will not give you the straight scoop they are trying to sell you classes.

Previously I needed about 20 classes and now I only need about 5??? Wow that sounds like good news, canā€™t wait to learn more.

I hope someplace comes out with an ā€œA-Zā€ study guide that would enable me to learn all the stuff that I would have learned in those classes I no longer need to take so that I can pass the testā€¦
I know that Murphyā€™s is a great test prep but is there an online course that I can take to actually teach me all Iā€™ll need to know to pass the test (and be an effective Mateā€¦)

If not then I certainly hope somebody comes out with a compreshensive online course, Iā€™ll sign up for sure.

lapware.org

If you were a Navy Surface Warfare Officer you are overqualified. You just have to learn to do without the JOOD, the QM, the nav evaluator, four lookouts, the helmsman, the lee helmsman etc. LOL

I have only had my 1600 Master for a year. Am I correct in thinking that I will still have to test for my 3rd mate? If so [I]guess I will just continue studying.[/I]

[QUOTE=chemcarrier;51951]I have only had my 1600 Master for a year. Am I correct in thinking that I will still have to test for my 3rd mate? If so [I]guess I will just continue studying.[/I][/QUOTE]

If you have [B][I]not[/I][/B] taken the exams for any of the below after Feb. 1 2002, then you will have to test.
(1) Second mate ocean/near coastal any gross tons;
(2) Third mate ocean/near coastal any gross tons;
(3) Mate ocean/near coastal 500 to 1600 gross register tons (GRT); and
(4) Mate (OSV).

[QUOTE=chemcarrier;51951]I have only had my 1600 Master for a year. Am I correct in thinking that I will still have to test for my 3rd mate? If so [I]guess I will just continue studying.[/I][/QUOTE]

That is not enough information to determine the answer you need. The question is if you took an OICNW test to get to 1600ton Master, and when did you take it? For the people that went Master, Master, Master - bypassed the OICNW tests all together - chances are, you will have to take a test for 3rd.

[QUOTE=Capt ETC;51958]If you have [B][I]not[/I][/B] taken the exams for any of the below after Feb. 1 2002, then you will have to test.
(1) Second mate ocean/near coastal any gross tons;
(2) Third mate ocean/near coastal any gross tons;
(3) Mate ocean/near coastal 500 to 1600 gross register tons (GRT); and
(4) Mate (OSV).[/QUOTE]

As I thought. I shall continue to hold the ā€œPrescribed Positionā€

[QUOTE=Diesel;51944]Hey Anchorman: Called T-bone over to the boat today, got his shit squared awayā€¦you will be getting a phone call.[/QUOTE]

Who da hell is T-Bone? I have a new Trinidad cell phone.

There are some of us here that have the 500 GRT Master license, who did not take the OICNW test.

What is the best path forward for license and career advancement?
I do not have the time of appropriate tonnage needed to advance to 1600 GRT Master.

I am thinking the best way forward, and quickest, would be to apply for 500 GRT Mate, which would require the assessments as outlined in the new policy letter, and taking the OICNW tests. This would allow me to simply upgrade to 1600 mate and then 3rd Mate Unlimited once the seatime on larger tonnage vessels is accumulated, correct?

Is there any more scuttlebutt on what will happen to the 500 GRT license? All I have read says that it will no longer be issued. Will there be an ITC equivalency assigned to it like they have done with the 1600GRT/3000GT-ITC ticket?

[QUOTE=Flyer69;51965]There are some of us here that have the 500 GRT Master license, who did not take the OICNW test.

What is the best path forward for license and career advancement?
I do not have the time of appropriate tonnage needed to advance to 1600 GRT Master.

I am thinking the best way forward, and quickest, would be to apply for 500 GRT Mate, which would require the assessments as outlined in the new policy letter, and taking the OICNW tests. This would allow me to simply upgrade to 1600 mate and then 3rd Mate Unlimited once the seatime on larger tonnage vessels is accumulated, correct?

Is there any more scuttlebutt on what will happen to the 500 GRT license? All I have read says that it will no longer be issued. Will there be an ITC equivalency assigned to it like they have done with the 1600GRT/3000GT-ITC ticket?[/QUOTE]

Upgrade to 1600 ton Mate.

Would that I could.
1600 ton Mate has a sea service requirement of 360 days service on vessels over 100 GRT.
I donā€™t have that, not even close.
My objective is to get work on something over 100 GRT so I can start accumulating that seatime.
My thought was to use the time I have in the interim to complete the assessments, and apply for 500 ton Mate and take the OICNW tests to get that out of the way.
If the rules stay the same by the time I get the 360 days on vessels over 100 tons, the upgrade should be automatic and immediate ā€¦ no time wasted. ( I am not getting any younger ;D )

Iā€™m a bit confused with all of thisā€¦if I have 3rd Mate ticket and want to go to 1600T master I still have to test?

Itā€™s a partial test with a 2nd Mate to get the 1600 master. This policy letter is just for mate tickets.

rshrew,

POL 11-07 does not apply to you. It is for people applying for:

• 3M/2M or
  • 1600 mate or
  • 500 mate.

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;51918]I did not use ā€œsuperiorā€ describing my license, I was going with the logic that the test for master would include all the information for the mates licenses AND extra because it is a masterā€™s license. Far be it for me to use logic when trying the understand a Policy Letter that is trying to simplify things and is not even a legally binding after reading the disclaimer (Section 5) My alternate approach would be that being a master and the testing and training involves and I can sign off the assessments for mates, I have fulfilled the spirit of the legal requirements.

I will be contacting Luke Harden @ 202.372.1206 ā€œwho is responsible for implenting this guidanceā€ and recommend every 1,600 master do the same thing. Mr. Harden has some 'splaining to do and think the more he does, the better off he will be doing and justifying his job and Captain Christensen.

Perhaps the 1,600 Master test should be revisedā€¦[/QUOTE]

46 CFR 11.910 specifies the subjects applicants for specified licenses have to be tested on. Compare the subjects for 3rd Mate with those for Master 500/1600. There is stuff required for 3rd Mate that is not required for Master 500/1600. Thatā€™s why you have to test. But if you already took the test given for 3rd Mate, then you have already met this requirement.

A more pertinent question is whether we are testing on more than the CFR requires for Mate 500/1600. If you suceed in your argument, it is more likely that the test for Mate 500/1600 would be changed. There is extremely little chance of getting out of testing for 3rd Mate because you hold Master 1600. However, a plausible argument could be made that the increased exam is needed for Mate 500/1600 in order to fully meet the requirement in 46 CFR 11.9803 to demonstrate having acheived all of the competencies in STCW ii/1, remember, most of the policy letter 01-02 courses are no longer required, and thus cannot be used to demonstrate competence. So I am not sure thereā€™s even much chance of a change to the Mate 500/1600 exam.

As far as legally binding, the testing definitely is, as discussed above itā€™s required by 46 CFR 11.910. As are all of the courses listed, they are in 46 CFR Part 11. The disclaimer applies to the assessments. Although 46 CFR 11.903 requires you to demonstrate competence, but it doesnā€™t require the specific assessments in the policy letter. Y\The disclaimer provides that you can propose to use an alternative way to show you have met the competencies in II/1 of STCW.

Feel free to call in the hope of getting some 'splaining. Iā€™ll probably be the one asked to call you back, but if itā€™s me or someone else, the answer is going to be as above, you havenā€™t fully tested for everything required for 3rd Mate.