1600t Master to 3rd mate limited or unlimited

Just wondering, has anyone recently made this crossover, according to policy letter 01-02, (11) c, assessments + seatime = 3rd mate

Check the new checklist for 3rd Mate Unlimited. The new section of the CFR is Part 11 not Part 10 and makes some changes that r not covered in the Policy Letter.

Now u need the STCW rating for 500/1600 ton mate or u must test. I went from AB/100 ton Master straight to 1600 Master and they kept coming back at me with I did not have the STCW for Mate. Ifuigured since I had Master that would cover it bit NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…

U will still need flashing light in the last year and pass celestial (I am pretty sure, its late and I do not have my notes with me) AGAIN if going for OCEANS.

Thanks for your reply, I don’t mind testing, its the courses, at first NMC said I needed to complete the assessments which I did and turned in, along with seatime, now their saying I need training courses also, I recieved my mates license 1996(1600), and masters in 2005, My STCW shows A-II/2, which is same for chief mates and unlimited masters, just trying to confirm that I really have to do all training courses in pol letter 01-02

[QUOTE=grayarea;48889]Thanks for your reply, I don’t mind testing, its the courses, at first NMC said I needed to complete the assessments which I did and turned in, along with seatime, now their saying I need training courses also, I recieved my mates license 1996(1600), and masters in 2005, My STCW shows A-II/2, which is same for chief mates and unlimited masters, just trying to confirm that I really have to do all training courses in pol letter 01-02[/QUOTE]

U gotta remember, the contract for the evaluators’ company stipulates that the contracting company gets paid (a fee) EVERY time an application goes across an evaluators desk. With that caveat in place, the company makes MORE money by stopping an application review and sending it back for “further input” by the applicant than by going through the entire application and giving you a shopping list of ALL the hoops u have to jump through so u can complete it at one time.

This is also the reason when renewing, u start 1 year ahead of time because if they find ANYTHING in your application that is not up to par, they send it back to you, you fix it and then they continue until they find something to stop at again and the whole process stops and starts AGAIN. Welcome to centralization of the bureaucracy. They stopped mariners shopping around for REC’s and lengthened the renewal process thereby increasing the amount of time YOU have to deal with the bureaucracy and creating more jobs for the bureaucracy thereby increasing and sustaining the bureaucracy. Unfortunately, compared to other systems it is the best out there that I know of but it is still annoying after being part of it (afloat, not in licensing) for so long.