OICNW NVIC 11-07 Endorsement and Exam question

1. If I have a 1600/3000 master ocean, ARPA, GMDSS, ECDIS, VSO, med care provider, flashing light, and STCW A-II/2 rating, can I complete the assessments in NVIC 11-07 to have OICNW added to my STCW/MMC certificate on my next renewal, without testing or applying for an upgrade to 3rd Mate at the same time? I just want the OICNW endorsement for now, and then work on 3rd Mate after that. I have about 6 years as master/mate time on my current license.

2. In the examination section 4 d (2), it seems that I will need to test again since I did not take a mates exam after Feb 2002. However, it also says, “…must complete the examinations described above [U][I][B]OR[/B][/I][/U] complete an approved alternative to demonstrate that they have achieved the required standard of competence for knowledge based KUPs.” So, what is an “approved alternative”, I cannot figure out to what they are referring?

3. What are the current routes to go directly to 2M or CM, from either a 3000 master or 6000 OSV master, if any?

Anchorman, jdcavo, capt.lee, and c.captain; you guys are quite knowledgeable and helpful; perhaps you can shed some light on these question for me. I am asking only because I want to know what my options are and what the smartest plan of attack is, so I do not duplicate efforts or miss something crucial.

Thank you in advance to all those who reply!

Got to go through 3/m first, I don’t see how you can skip it (it looks like you’re aware of that) and then with sea time you can upgrade to 2/m with only having to take flashing light

1. No.

2. One of the approved academies including the Navy and Coast Guard Academies, check the CFR’s for the complete list.

3. OSV does nothing for you really except for having tonnage. OSV licenses are there just the oil industry so they don’t have to hire Unlimited guys but that may be changing where that license may be going away. You should be able to keep it to have it (grandfathered) but I have heard talk of removing that license from the menu so to speak.

You can’t get II/1 and II/2 both on a license. I had II/1, when I upgraded they replaced it with II/2 since /2 is superior to /1. The assessments may never expire though, I would check on that. You could probably do the assessments and just hold onto them until you are ready for 3M.

I know you can get 2nd U/L and 1600grt master at the same time… That would be II/1 & II/2.
There is also a way to get a OSV ChM/M Unlimited… If you got on the correct vessels, you can indeed take the restriction off, skipping 3rd & 2nd

You can’t skip 3rd and 2nd, you just don’t need to work in those positions.

Yes you can, when you get enough unlimited time on your 3/m you can upgrade to your 2/m and test for your 1600 masters. You can not however, go from 1600 mate to 1600 captain and get your 2/m unlimited. It only works one way, not both.

1. You can complete the assessments, and apply for the STCW rating OICNW and get it on your MMC without 3rd Mate, I just did it last year.There is not even a fee to add an STCW endorsement. I did this to facilitate working as a Mate overseas, but never did.

2. You can apply for Inland AGT, (as Master 1600 you qualify as per the Marine Safety Manual) pass the test and skip 3rd Mate entirely and test as 2nd Mate. I was just approved to do this by NMC.

3. The SNPRM is still pending, and may or may not be implemented as written, so as of now no published direct route to Master AGT oceans, or CM oceans without going to 2nd Mate.

Can you please quote the MSM? I am interested in that.

I think I found the proper section. You upgraded via that? Interesting…

They are not referring to one of the academies, even academies have to test. Academies satisfy seatime, training and assessment requirements, not testing. This statement is referring to something else, but I have looked for hours and cannot tell what.

[QUOTE=captmarcus;63254]1) If I have a 1600/3000 master ocean, ARPA, GMDSS, ECDIS, VSO, med care provider, flashing light, and STCW A-II/2 rating, can I complete the assessments in NVIC 11-07 to have OICNW added to my STCW/MMC certificate on my next renewal, without testing or applying for an upgrade to 3rd Mate at the same time? I just want the OICNW endorsement for now, and then work on 3rd Mate after that. I have about 6 years as master/mate time on my current license.

1. In the examination section 4 d (2), it seems that I will need to test again since I did not take a mates exam after Feb 2002. However, it also says, “…must complete the examinations described above [U][I][B]OR[/B][/I][/U] complete an approved alternative to demonstrate that they have achieved the required standard of competence for knowledge based KUPs.” So, what is an “approved alternative”, I cannot figure out to what they are referring?

2. What are the current routes to go directly to 2M or CM, from either a 3000 master or 6000 OSV master, if any?

Anchorman, jdcavo, capt.lee, and c.captain; you guys are quite knowledgeable and helpful; perhaps you can shed some light on these question for me. I am asking only because I want to know what my options are and what the smartest plan of attack is, so I do not duplicate efforts or miss something crucial.

Thank you in advance to all those who reply![/QUOTE]

You would need to meet all of the requirements in CG-543 policy letter 11-07. If you did the assessment previously, you can use them again, you don’t have to repeat them.

IIf you took the mate 500/1600 exam before 2/1/02, or if you never took that excam, you will need to take the test. An “approcved alternative” would be some type of training approved by the Coast Guard to satisfy the knowledge requirements of STCW. There are no such approved alternatives at present, so your only option is the exam.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;63286]Can you please quote the MSM? I am interested in that.[/QUOTE]

There’s something better and more authoritative than the MSM - 46 CFR 11.406©:

I An individual holding an endorsement or license as master of Great Lakes and inland steam or motor vessels of any gross tons or master of inland steam or motor vessels of any gross tons, may obtain an endorsement as second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons by completing the prescribed examination in subpart I of this part.[/I]

Unless I’m missing something, that is dealing with unlimited tonnage licenses, its not saying go from 1600 master to unlimited 2nd mate.

I am familiar with that. The MSM quote is dealing worth going from 1600 ton master to master agt inland.

So the question still stands, can one go from 1600 Master Oceans to 2nd Mate Oceans UL (after passing the exam and meeting all OICNW assessments of course), without stopping at 3rd Mate Oceans UL first. I understand that the UL license will actually have a tonnage restriction until specific tonnage requirements are met, but that is a separate issue.

I think you need to review the posts, your question was answered.
Simple answer no.
Complex answer yes, you can skip 3rd Mate by going to Master Inland AGT, then skipping 3rd and getting approval to test for 2nd, saves one year of Sea time.

Good Luck !

Ok, thanks. I didn’t quite get that at first, but I got it now!

You can also bypass 3M if you have equivalent experience (OOD) on vessels over 3000GT. This equivalent experience is typically obtained from the Navy, Coast Guard, or NOAA.

Sorry, 1600 GT