OICNW NVIC 11-07 Endorsement and Exam question

Thanks Azimuth, I knew it eas possible theoretically, but I have never heard of anyone actually being approved like that…

[QUOTE=jdcavo;63358]There’s something better and more authoritative than the MSM - 46 CFR 11.406©:

I An individual holding an endorsement or license as master of Great Lakes and inland steam or motor vessels of any gross tons or master of inland steam or motor vessels of any gross tons, may obtain an endorsement as second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons by completing the prescribed examination in subpart I of this part.[/I][/QUOTE]

I was referring to this section of the MSM:

“3. Master 1600 GT Upon Oceans or Near Coastal Waters To Master Any GT Upon Inland Waters.
Mariners holding a license as Master 1600 GT Oceans or Near Coastal may apply for a Master Any GT Inland license utilizing 46 CFR 10.435. A tonnage limitation will be placed on the Inland license as per 46 CFR 10.402(b) and ©. Mariners may remove the tonnage limitation on the Inland license by serving one year on vessels over 1600 GT.”

The MSM has not caught up to the CFR. That refers to a section of the CFR in 11 not 10. They will fight you tooth and nail since the MSM has not been updated. Apply before they close that loophole and continue by appealling if need be.

Good luck and appeal because it drives them up a wall and if you get your Congressman involved, REALLY drives them crazy.

Does anyone know what modules they are refering to when crossing over from Master AGT inland to 2nd mate AGT?

Go to the NMC website. Download the manual with all the tests in it. In that manual are all the modules for every test. If they do not have the situation you are asking about, compare the Inland AGT to the license/test you took after 2002 or are going to (2nd UL) and voila!

Learn the manuals!

Capt Leigh, I was. I went from 1600 Master to 2M because I had documented proof of service in an equivalent capacity (ie commissioned service)

The CFR in question is identical, it just starts with 11 now instead of 10.

[QUOTE=Azimuth;63376]You can also bypass 3M if you have equivalent experience (OOD) on vessels over 3000GT. This equivalent experience is typically obtained from the Navy, Coast Guard, or NOAA.[/QUOTE]
What about Large OSV Masters?

You would need to do some research on manning and use policy letter 11-12, getting a seatime letter stating the vessel was manned at all times according to the ITC… 1600=3000… 6000 is greater than 3000…

Flyer, I’m pretty sure a large OSV will satisfy the seatime requirement but you still have to meet all the other requirements and test.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;63413]The CFR in question is identical, it just starts with 11 now instead of 10.[/QUOTE]

I know that. I would just be very surprised if they had updated the MSM yet.

Thank you in advance to all those who reply!

You can find the exam modules you need to take for Inland Master and Second Mate here: http://www.hawsepipe.net/guide_all.pdf#page100

Open the PDF then scroll down to DECK GUIDE and open the link. It will take you to all the available licenses. Choose the appropriate ones you want: Inland Master and Second Mate. It gives you the modules you need to take.

I did the cross over from Great Lakes and Inland Master to Second Mate oceans and 1600T Master oceans.
For just Inland Master, look at the Master AGT “Great Lakes and Inland Master” exam subjects. You have to take all but the Great Lakes Topics. They don’t just list Inland Master.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;63258]You can’t get II/1 and II/2 both on a license. I had II/1, when I upgraded they replaced it with II/2 since /2 is superior to /1. The assessments may never expire though, I would check on that. You could probably do the assessments and just hold onto them until you are ready for 3M.[/QUOTE]

First of all, II/1 and II/2 don’t have anything to do with your license they are STCW endorsements, and you sure as shit can have both II/1 and II/2 endorsed on your STCW.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. As a 1600 ton master with II/2 you cannot get II/1 also on your license without some corresponding US license as well (like 3m).

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;63759]Sorry, I should have been more specific. As a 1600 ton master with II/2 you cannot get II/1 also on your license without done corresponding US license as well (like 3m).[/QUOTE]

Exactly right!

[QUOTE=Azimuth;63376]You can also bypass 3M if you have equivalent experience (OOD) on vessels over 3000GT. This equivalent experience is typically obtained from the Navy, Coast Guard, or NOAA.[/QUOTE]

Please direct us to where would one find the information…CFR references etc. on this.

I remember when the requirements were listed in 46 ch 10, there was wording to the effect “…as a 3rd mate or equivalent service…”. Qualified deck officers in the Navy, Coast Guard, NOAA, and even the Army Corps of Engineers I think, do not have MMCs as they are Commissioned. Their qualifications somewhat parallel those required in the CFRs and therefore counted as “equivalent service”. Now this is just for sea service, all other requirements, including testing, had to be met. You can also find reference to this in the Marine Safety Manual (ch 2 if memory serves me correct).

Yes, you are missing something. Look up the requirements for 2m and you will see why we are discussing master agt inland. And read the quote I posted from the msm.

Man you must be having a slow night if you want to bring that comment up now. I made it back in February …