OICNW Assessments

So I’ve made up my mind to go for the raise in grade from 1600 ton master 3000 ITC to 3rd mate AGT. I have not submitted my application to the NMC yet. Can I print out & start the proccess of getting signed off on the assessments anyway?

Yes you can

Thank you.

Don’t wait too long to get your application in. The USCG changes to the mariner credential regs will be published by Thanksgiving. And while no one (except Jim C) knows what the changes will say, it will never be cheaper and easier to raise grade than it is today!

Richard

[QUOTE=“Capnklump;114435”]So I’ve made up my mind to go for the raise in grade from 1600 ton master 3000 ITC to 3rd mate AGT. I have not submitted my application to the NMC yet. Can I print out & start the proccess of getting signed off on the assessments anyway?[/QUOTE]

Yes you can start the assessments, make the move, I did and it has opened many new doors. I found it to be not as hard as the 1600 minus the celestial.

Thread jacking:

I’m going for 1600 mate nc. Can a 1600 master nc sign it off or so I need oceans

[QUOTE=“kfj;114481”]Thread jacking:

I’m going for 1600 mate nc. Can a 1600 master nc sign it off or so I need oceans[/QUOTE]

Near Coastal can sign anything except parts pertaining to Oceans.

[QUOTE=“Capnklump;114435”]So I’ve made up my mind to go for the raise in grade from 1600 ton master 3000 ITC to 3rd mate AGT. I have not submitted my application to the NMC yet. Can I print out & start the proccess of getting signed off on the assessments anyway?[/QUOTE]

I thought the assessments had to be done and sent in with the application…

Thats what I thought too but its not the case. NMC will send you a letter back saying you need to do the assessments while they hold your app. I think they give you a year.

I’m startin ASAP as soon as I get back to work… I’m curious about something, I understand that any 500/1600 master can sign off, but what if they dont have OICNW on their license. Can they still sign it off? One more question, once you started the assessments, how long did it take you to finish?? Thanks.

What assessments do you need to go from master 1600 to 3rd? Thought they were more or less on the same playing field other than the sea time. And the mate 500/1600/3rd exams were the same? Unless you got it back before it became that way. Just out of curiosity I ask.

Take it from me and this is the gospel. You have to do the policy letter 11-07 assessment and then you have to test. There is no other way. No you cannot send in the app alone. They will not accept that. Do the assessments. Turn them in with a recent flashing lights, physical etc then you will be approved to test. This is not a freebee because you are a master. This is an unlimited license. According to the ass backward coast guard you cannot get it for free.

Theres lots of them. 79 I think. Celestial, terrestrial, planning voyages, etc.etc.etc.

Did you test for 1600 before or after Feb. 2002?

[QUOTE=Capnklump;114514]Thats what I thought too but its not the case. NMC will send you a letter back saying you need to do the assessments while they hold your app. I think they give you a year.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn’t be applying for something until you’ve met all the requirements, including courses or assessments. But if you haven’t, you will get 90 days to fix the deficiency, not a year. The one year is how long you have to pass the test after you have met all of the other requirements and are approved to take the test.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=z-drive;114561]What assessments do you need to go from master 1600 to 3rd? Thought they were more or less on the same playing field other than the sea time. And the mate 500/1600/3rd exams were the same? Unless you got it back before it became that way. Just out of curiosity I ask.[/QUOTE]

All of the OICNW assessments are currently required if they were not done previously for Mate 500 or Mate 1600.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Capnklump;114577]Did you test for 1600 before or after Feb. 2002?[/QUOTE]

For the assessments, it doesn’t matter when or if you took a test for a license. The test is for the domestic license, not STCW.

Thank you for clearing all that up JD! It can get to be confusing at times.

So if you held/hold a full Stcw endorsed/oceans 1,600 mates license you would not need to complete assessments? I can’t imagine why you would have to do them twice…but like some have said they never cease to amaze.

[QUOTE=“z-drive;114561”]What assessments do you need to go from master 1600 to 3rd? Thought they were more or less on the same playing field other than the sea time. And the mate 500/1600/3rd exams were the same? Unless you got it back before it became that way. Just out of curiosity I ask.[/QUOTE]

It is possible to get master 1600 without ever holding mate 500/1600. In that case you have to do the assessments, or if you got the mate license before the assessments were required.

Not that I am complaining because it worked to my advantage but does anyone else find it ridiculous that the requirements and lesser than mate?

Yes. Especially when a mate comes to me fir a sign off and can’ t do it but expects me to teach him.