New checklist 1600 Master to 3rd Mate OICNW, Mr.Cavo

After reading the new NVIC am I reading it right that a master 1600grt / 3000gt Oceans can apply for 3rd mate unlimited with out having to have OICNW ? Will still have to test for mate unlimited but unlike before I will not need to complete all OICNW assessments ?

Thank you you to any response.

[QUOTE=coldcreepin;137425]After reading the new NVIC am I reading it right that a master 1600grt / 3000gt Oceans can apply for 3rd mate unlimited with out having to have OICNW ? Will still have to test for mate unlimited but unlike before I will not need to complete all OICNW assessments ?

Thank you you to any response.[/QUOTE]

You’re inter-mixing STCW and the license, and they should be treated separate.

There is an exam (the full exam) to go from the license of Master 1600 to 3rd Mate.

If you hold STCW for Master 1600 GRT/3000 GT, you do not need OICNW assessments. See the OICNW NVIC at http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/NVIC/NVIC_2014/nvic_12-14_oicnw_encl_1_cg-5p_20140401.pdf , it’s at para. 2.b of Enclosure 1.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;137430]You’re inter-mixing STCW and the license, and they should be treated separate.

There is an exam (the full exam) to go from the license of Master 1600 to 3rd Mate.

If you hold STCW for Master 1600 GRT/3000 GT, you do not need OICNW assessments. See the OICNW NVIC at http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/NVIC/NVIC_2014/nvic_12-14_oicnw_encl_1_cg-5p_20140401.pdf , it’s at para. 2.b of Enclosure 1.[/QUOTE]
This new system makes it hard to understand when you mix in old system nomenclature.

The way I read it, under the new system the STCW endorsement is for “Master and Chief Mate of 500 GT and more and less than 3000 GT”. No mention of GRT. Domestic endorsements are only now specified in GRT. So, with a national endorsement for Master 500 GRT, I should now be able to apply for an STCW endorsement as detailed above, correct?

[QUOTE=Flyer69;137432]This new system makes it hard to understand when you mix in old system nomenclature.

The way I read it, under the new system the STCW endorsement is for “Master and Chief Mate of 500 GT and more and less than 3000 GT”. No mention of GRT. Domestic endorsements are only now specified in GRT. So, with a national endorsement for Master 500 GRT, I should now be able to apply for an STCW endorsement as detailed above, correct?[/QUOTE]

You are correct that the new language only uses GRT for national officer endorsements. But, I was asking if he holds an STCW endorsement now, and if he did, it was most likely issued before March 24, 2014, and thus would have toe old language using GRT and GT. I could have asked:

[I]Do you hold an STCW endorsement as “Master Not More Than 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT” issued before March 24, 2014, OR, and STCW endorsement as “Master 500 GT or More and Less Than 3,000 GT” issued March 24, 2014, or later?[/I]

But I’m assuming if he had the endorsement, he’d know what I was talking about.

To answer your question, it depends on the re-phrased question I just posted. If the answer is yes, then no assessments for OICNW. If the answer is no, they assessments aree needed.

I currently hold STCW II/3 issued before 24 march 2014. I have just received my approval to test for master 1600 grt national and 3000 gt stcw oceans. I would like to receive master 3000 gt and turn around and test for 3rd mate after but wanted to confirm I can do this without OICNW assessments.

Thanks to all replies.

Thanks for bringing this up and thank you to Mr. Cavo for the information. I hold a master 1600/3000 STCW and plan to upgrade to 3rd mate when I have the time. I’m applying under the “1 year of sea time as master of a vessel over 200t” rule, so fingers crossed it doesn’t come with a tonnage restriction.

I don’t care about having to retest, but not having to do all the OICNW assessments makes things much easier for me. I’m at a small company and I don’t know who I would get to sign off on the assessments.

Thanks again.

[QUOTE=coldcreepin;137478]I currently hold STCW II/3 issued before 24 march 2014. I have just received my approval to test for master 1600 grt national and 3000 gt stcw oceans. I would like to receive master 3000 gt and turn around and test for 3rd mate after but wanted to confirm I can do this without OICNW assessments.

Thanks to all replies.[/QUOTE]

You probably need the assessments. STCW Regulation II/3 is for vessels less than 500 GT on near coastal voyages. In order not to have to need OICNW assessments, you need to have an STCW endorsement for vessels 500 GT or more (STCW Regulation II/2). The assessments were also required under the old regulations, so that you had your endorsement before March 243, 2014 does not make a difference.

[QUOTE=mariner244;137508]Thanks for bringing this up and thank you to Mr. Cavo for the information. I hold a master 1600/3000 STCW and plan to upgrade to 3rd mate when I have the time. I’m applying under the “1 year of sea time as master of a vessel over 200t” rule, so fingers crossed it doesn’t come with a tonnage restriction.

I don’t care about having to retest, but not having to do all the OICNW assessments makes things much easier for me. I’m at a small company and I don’t know who I would get to sign off on the assessments.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]
Maybe you can get your mate to sign it off. If not I know some schools have the simulator. Pretty sure any MATE’s license for stcw purposes for oicnw requires those infernal assessments. If you don’t have it yet get ready for flashing light and other debatable requirements.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;137430]If you hold STCW for Master 1600 GRT/3000 GT, you do not need OICNW assessments. See the OICNW NVIC at http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/NVIC/NVIC_2014/nvic_12-14_oicnw_encl_1_cg-5p_20140401.pdf , it’s at para. 2.b of Enclosure 1.[/QUOTE]

They are also making you do the OICNW assessments now if you upgrade master-master, correct?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;137547]They are also making you do the OICNW assessments now if you upgrade master-master, correct?[/QUOTE]

It depends on what level endorsement you have, and what you are going for. If you hold any STCW endorsement as Master for more than 500 GT under STCW Reguation II/2 except one limited to OSVs, then OICNW assessments are not required when upgrading to an STCW endorsement as Master for a higher tonnage.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;137553]It depends on what level endorsement you have, and what you are going for. If you hold any STCW endorsement as Master for more than 500 GT under STCW Reguation II/2 except one limited to OSVs, then OICNW assessments are not required when upgrading to an STCW endorsement as Master for a higher tonnage.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I should have been more specific. For someone starting now with nothing, if they plan to go the 100 ton --> 200 ton --> 1600 ton (or 100 ton --> 500 ton), they will need to do the OICNW assessments when going to 1600 ton (500 ton).

(Since you had already answered the question for anyone already having II/2 I thought it was plain I meant anyone not currently having it that plans to upgrade from master to master, thereby skipping ever being a mate.)

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;137621]Sorry, I should have been more specific. For someone starting now with nothing, if they plan to go the 100 ton --> 200 ton --> 1600 ton (or 100 ton --> 500 ton), they will need to do the OICNW assessments when going to 1600 ton (500 ton).

(Since you had already answered the question for anyone already having II/2 I thought it was plain I meant anyone not currently having it that plans to upgrade from master to master, thereby skipping ever being a mate.)[/QUOTE]

Coprrect. Anyone who does not currently hold an STCW endorsement for Master 500 GT or more will have to first meet the requirements for OICNW before they can qualify for Master. A Master 200 GRT going to Master 1600 GRT who is also seeking STCW would have to firsy qualify for OICNW 500 GT or More.

Mr. Cavo,
What module(s) will I be tested on for my 1600 Ton Master? I have a 3/M AGT O license. Thanks.

[QUOTE=seacomber;137775]Mr. Cavo,
What module(s) will I be tested on for my 1600 Ton Master? I have a 3/M AGT O license. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Have located the answer, disregard, discard this one Mr. Cavo.

I may be in the wrong thread, but is there an exhaustive list of exactly what is tested for 3rd mate near coastal anywhere on gcaptain? Or can it be answered here please? I have referred to the CFR’s but on some topics such as “latitude by meridian transit” and “fuel consumption” it still seems unclear. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated as I don’t want to either overstudy or understudy. Thanks

Mr. Cavo,
I remember back in 2011 there was discussion of whether or not candidates for the Master 1600 who took the new test would be allowed to cross-over to 3rd Mate (AGT) without further testing. Is this still under consideration or not. I was told there was an NVIC that addressed this but I have not found one. Thank you in advance, as always we are lucky to have your expert opinion on these matters.
Regards,
James

[QUOTE=Capt.Mac;142507]Mr. Cavo,
I remember back in 2011 there was discussion of whether or not candidates for the Master 1600 who took the new test would be allowed to cross-over to 3rd Mate (AGT) without further testing. Is this still under consideration or not. I was told there was an NVIC that addressed this but I have not found one. Thank you in advance, as always we are lucky to have your expert opinion on these matters.
Regards,
James[/QUOTE]

It was never being considered. You have to test.