1600 Master Oceans to 3/M Oceans

This is a question about the OICNW assessments per USCG Policy Letter 01-02:

I’ve got 1600 Master Oceans, and I want to apply for a raise of grade to 3/M Unlimited Oceans. I’ve got all the sea time I need as AB on >1600 tons. The last Coast Guard examination I took was in 1990, so I know I will have to test. But will I have to do the OICNW assessments as well? Or does the II/2 on my STCW cert cover it?

Thanks for any help!

Dougpine,
I am pretty sure that on the first or second page of the 01-02 packet it says " and any License issued after Feb 2003" But I would try to get the All Knowing Cavo to give you the right advice.

According to 46 CFR 10.407, If your license is based on service befor 8/1/98 you will only need to meet the tonnage prerequisites of 46 CFR 10.402, take the test, and complete the assessments. You will not need to attend the OICNW courses.

I’m going to ask for a waiver since I teach the OICNW courses! NMC gave a waiver to a fellow instructor under the same circumstances.

I could not get anyone to consider a waiver for me until I had actually applied and been turned down. Since the Coast Guard would not accept my application until I had completed my STCW courses, which courses I was trying to get the waiver for… I was out of luck! After 3 years of fighting and trying and writing letters to everyone from congressmen to the president, I finally gave up. The whole waiver process is a catch 22, at least in my experience!
I figured since I had already taken the classes at an approved school and the ones I took were more in depth by far, the Coast Guard would exempt me. They wouldn;t even consider it. My outlook was that since I had started sailing professionally in 1978 and since they did not notify anyone of the STCW 95 rules until the very last minute, then since they did not follow thier own rules then the least they could do would be to give waivers to those of us screwed by that rule change! Again, no luck at all!

[QUOTE=dougpine;13232]I’m going to ask for a waiver since I [I]teach[/I] the OICNW courses! NMC gave a waiver to a fellow instructor under the same circumstances.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I’m pretty sure, based on your current license and STCW cert that you won’t need to take any of the OICNW courses at all, no waiver req’d.

However, the assessments are another matter. Mr. Cavo?

From 1998 to 2002 the Coast Guard urged mariners to apply for licenses before the cut-off date. Articles I wrote on this appeared in several maritime publications, I posted to list servs, answered hundreds of e-mails with this advice. Had gCaptain existed then I’d have posted there also. IN any event, the “last minute” would have been in late 2001, or early 2002.

There’s more than what is in 46 CFR 11.407 (formerly 46 CFR 10.407). See [FONT=Verdana]46 CFR 11.903(c)[/FONT]. It incorporates STCW by reference and adds all of the training and assessment requirements.

So tell me please, I’ve always wondered about this paragraph:

I Any candidate for an endorsement listed in paragraph (c) of this section, who meets the requirements of the appropriate regulations and standards of competence in STCW and part A of the STCW code (incorporated by reference, see §11.102) as indicated in table 11.903(c) of this section, need not comply with §§11.910 or 11.950, of this part.[/I]

Can you enlighten us as to what, precisely, it means?

[QUOTE=Capt_Anonymous;13494]So tell me please, I’ve always wondered about this paragraph:

I Any candidate for an endorsement listed in paragraph © of this section, who meets the requirements of the appropriate regulations and standards of competence in STCW and part A of the STCW code (incorporated by reference, see §11.102) as indicated in table 11.903© of this section, need not comply with §§11.910 or 11.950, of this part.[/I]?[/QUOTE]

Great question CA. If you look at this part, then at 11.910 and 11.950, the implication is that no testing, assessments, etc. are required!

Yep. I know someone who added this to their application, but NMC shot 'em down. I just want to know why.

C_A,

refresh my memory…a long time ago in a land far away…didn’t master/1600 “crossover” to 3m/unl with a "limited exam.

I don’t know.

The thing that’s always bugged me is that a 3/M can upgrade to 2/M AND 1600 Master, but a 1600 Master can’t crossover to 2/M. More unlimited tonnage bias bullshit IMHO.

the last time I was evaluated…was advised that I didn’t have the “tonage” for unlimited…despite having logged many days on ATB’s 500-600’ as master or mate…go figure.

I have submitted my app for 3rd Mate from 1600 Master on June 1st. Currently, my status is Waiting for PQEB since June 12th. Hopefully, all goes well. I will post my results with the NMC on the upgrade.

[QUOTE=dougpine;13159]This is a question about the OICNW assessments per USCG Policy Letter 01-02:

I’ve got 1600 Master Oceans, and I want to apply for a raise of grade to 3/M Unlimited Oceans. I’ve got all the sea time I need as AB on >1600 tons. The last Coast Guard examination I took was in 1990, so I know I will have to test. But will I have to do the OICNW assessments as well? Or does the II/2 on my STCW cert cover it?

Thanks for any help![/QUOTE]

Any updates on your 3rd Mate quest?

I checked this morning, and still: Read to be evaluated PQEB as of June 17th

[QUOTE=dougpine;15392]I checked this morning, and still: Read to be evaluated PQEB as of June 17th[/QUOTE]

Any word from NMC??? I hold a 1600 Master Oceans as well and just today put in an application for 3rd Mate.