STCW Final Rule

[QUOTE=jdcavo;126839]That’s because the 2010 STCW went into effect internationally on January 1, 2012. These provisions are specific amendments to the STCW. They were added because there was a lack of consensus and clarity on whether they were or were not required. Some countries required it, others did not.[/QUOTE]

What I meant to say is that that port state control in other countries are already asking US mariners for proof that they have renewed their STCW courses within the last five years.

What’s the initial thought on all these renewal courses…think your company will pay? Personally mine already does but here’s to hoping they will continue under expanded circumstances.

Once again I haven’t had time to look through it thoroughly, but will the “negative” endorsement stuff be going away long term? Example is a license limited to vessels NOT equipped with ARPA?

Now all we need is the 1,600 GRT Master to Chief Mate Unlimited rule!

That would be nice :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=tugsailor;126840][QUOTE=jdcavo;126832]The rule becomes effective in 90 days (March 24,

Lowers sea service minuimum tonnage for “unlimited” deck licenses from 200 GRT to 100 GRT;

Thank Christ. It’s about time American mariners get some fairness on this issue, especially since the Brits, the Canadians (and undoubtedly others) accept seatime down to 25 Gross tons GT toward unlimited licenses.[/QUOTE]

Lowering the minimum from 200-GRT to 100-GRT is all good and well but 50% of the time still has to be over 1600-GRT, which means that people with licenses less than unlimited are incapable of working on their current licenses while upgrading to unlimited. The 1600-ton minimum is what needed to be lowered, not the 200-ton. You should be able to hold a 1600-ton license, sail as mate or master, and be able to earn your unlimited license. Right now the only way to do that is to get a 3/M unlimited restricted to 150% of the tonnage on which 50% of the sea time is recorded.

At 1600-GRT (if 50% of your seatime was recorded on a vessel of that tonnage) this would make for an unlimited license restricted to 2400-GRT. Good luck finding a vessel between 1600-GRT and 2400-GRT that you can sail on so that you can upgrade to 2/M unlimited, unrestricted. Every other license in the licensing scheme has a minimum tonnage that you can use a lower license to acquire (5-tons for a 50-ton, 33.4-tons for a 100-ton, 50-tons for a 500-ton, and 100-tons for a 1600-ton, you’ll notice I didn’t mention the 200-ton because that license is just as #!(^'ed up as the unlimited licenses are), so why shouldn’t the unlimited licenses have the same thing???

The checklist for the 3/M Unlim. License here.

Can anyone give some possible input on “Amend requirements for sea service credit for cadets serving onboard academy training ships if sea service is part of an approved training program”

I am a current engineering cadet and wondering what kind of changes I may be affected by? Or would current cadets be grandfathered in to any changes?

If you read through the explanation, as I understand it this just codifies the existing policy of giving academy cadets 1 1/2 for 1 day on a training ship. It should not have any effect on you.

I pay for all my own. I think noaa has some sort of exemption because many people are not sailing with the stcw endorsements they are supposed to have. People ask for stcw training and get denied. That’s not a good sign. I can’t get a straight answer. So, I take care of my own credential.

It is tax deductible too.

[QUOTE=catherder;126915]I pay for all my own. I think noaa has some sort of exemption because many people are not sailing with the stcw endorsements they are supposed to have. People ask for stcw training and get denied. That’s not a good sign. I can’t get a straight answer. So, I take care of my own credential.[/QUOTE]

As a government outfit NOAA , ACE and others only say they will comply with USCG, OSHA, IMO etc., regulations. They are under no legal or regulatory requirement to do so.

Yes, I did finally find a document to that effect., that they will make an effort to comply. SOVC. Thanks.

I can’t wait to see the answers these NVICs will provide. Currently hold 500 GRT Master with Master OSV 3000 endorsement. Working now aboard an OSV at 1200 GT(ITC). Trying to figure out the new rule and how to best advance my license.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;126958]I can’t wait to see the answers these NVICs will provide. Currently hold 500 GRT Master with Master OSV 3000 endorsement. Working now aboard an OSV at 1200 GT(ITC). Trying to figure out the new rule and how to best advance my license.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it will be interesting. It almost looks like a Master 500 will bump up to a Master 1600. But then, it can be difficult to correctly read and interpret these government epistles.

Two questions,

One, when can you start applying for things under the new rules, do you have to wait for the 90 days or can you apply now?

Two, does anyone know what is changing about the rules of using ATB sea time towards AGT licenses?

Thanks.

[QUOTE=catherder;126915]I pay for all my own… So, I take care of my own credential.[/QUOTE]

Yer beholden to NO ONE either - just plain smart

[QUOTE=sailormike;126976]…what is changing about the rules of using ATB sea time towards AGT licenses?[/QUOTE]

Nothing.

[QUOTE=“water;126969”]

Yes, it will be interesting. It almost looks like a Master 500 will bump up to a Master 1600. But then, it can be difficult to correctly read and interpret these government epistles.[/QUOTE]

If I am reading this right, under 11.491 - National officer endorsements for service on offshore supply vessels, they have changed the Master 500grt/3000itc (OSV), and it will now read Master 1600grt/3000itc (OSV).

Doesn’t look like it changes anything for the “National” (domestic) Master 500grt to 1600grt upgrade.

Pretty much.
Of more interest, however, will be whether they let someone with the 500 GRT non-trade-restricted Master license into the Large OSV program?

[QUOTE=SaltyBM;127029]If I am reading this right, under 11.491 - National officer endorsements for service on offshore supply vessels, they have changed the Master 500grt/3000itc (OSV), and it will now read Master 1600grt/3000itc (OSV).

Doesn’t look like it changes anything for the “National” (domestic) Master 500grt to 1600grt upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Under the new rule, only GRT is used on national endorsements, and only GT is used on STCW endorsements.

I’m a little slow fellas. Will100 ton masters go straight to 1600 ton master or will they have to do a couple years as1600 ton mate?