New Changes to Licenses Rules

Some of the new proposed changes from the NMC

Master/Mate 500 GRT NC will no longer be issued

Applicants for 100 GRT MASTER will have to complete 9 MANAGEMENT LEVEL COURSES

OSV license structure MAY be drastically changes but is unclear at this point

Tonnage increments will change for the 200 mate/Master license medical care provider will be extended to licenses under 200 GRT also first aid and cpr

200 ton Mate/Master will add in approved training in 12 subject areas with the length of courses to be determined

On December 9 a session to the public comments will be held at the Renaissance Arts Hotel, 700 Tchoupitoulas Street in New Orleans from 9:00 AM till Noon

Other hearings Miami December 1
New York December 2
Seattle December 11
Washington D.C. Jan. 20

Just got this information in writing from an Louisiana marine school

What type of management courses are they talking about for the 100 ton? Are they the same type as required for the unlimited license?

I know nothing more than what I posted

[quote=Mr 100-ton;22151]Some of the new proposed changes from the NMC

Master/Mate 500 GRT NC will no longer be issued

Applicants for 100 GRT MASTER will have to complete 9 MANAGEMENT LEVEL COURSES

OSV license structure MAY be drastically changes but is unclear at this point

Tonnage increments will change for the 200 mate/Master license medical care provider will be extended to licenses under 200 GRT also first aid and cpr

200 ton Mate/Master will add in approved training in 12 subject areas with the length of courses to be determined

On December 9 a session to the public comments will be held at the Renaissance Arts Hotel, 700 Tchoupitoulas Street in New Orleans from 9:00 AM till Noon

New York December 2
Seattle December 11
Washington D.C. Jan. 20

Just got this information in writing from an Louisiana marine school[/quote]

[I][B]Everything you might want to know about this is contained in the 46 CFR Part 10, 11, 12, and 15 Implementation of the 1995 Amendments to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and
Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978; Proposed Rule[/B][/I]

It’s a big read, but will minimize the rumors. Also, click here for a good discussion on gCaptain forum about this very topic.

[quote=Mr 100-ton;22151]

New York December 2
Seattle December 11
Washington D.C. Jan. 20[/quote]

**don’t know about anyone else…plan to attend…but damn a 3 hour meeting to comment on a 90 page document…seems to me they need a 3 day seminar!!

**anyone out there have a “cliffnotes” version of this “can of worms”??

**also is it just me or is the “time line” a tad rushed on this…USCG must be in a big hurry to squeeze this one out??

Should that be a surprise to anyone? They only drag their heels when the industry lobbyists put the squeeze on them, such as the now further delayed towing vessel inspection program.

[QUOTE=seadawg;22189]**don’t know about anyone else…plan to attend…but damn a 3 hour meeting to comment on a 90 page document…seems to me they need a 3 day seminar!!

**anyone out there have a “cliffnotes” version of this “can of worms”??

**also is it just me or is the “time line” a tad rushed on this…USCG must be in a big hurry to squeeze this one out??[/QUOTE]

Well, I’ll take the bullet this time. I’m going to go to the Seattle meeting.

No worries, I’ll take copious notes and post them in a new thread.

If anyone else is planning on going, come up and introduce yourself to me. I’m the astonishingly good looking tall blonde. (Wait, scratch that. I’m the average short brunette.)

• Jill

Count me in (anonymously, of course). But which city I attend in is anyone’s guess…

Am I mistaken, or is the Coast Guard making it increasingly more difficult and more complicated to get a license?

If they keep adding requirements it will be easier to become a doctor than a merchant mariner. And doctors just have to work with sick people. Wait…so do mariners:D.

Nemo

Rushing indeed. It’s just the 1995 amendments…

The public meetings are being broadcast at: http://www.stcwregs.us/

There are also video of the Miami and New York meetings, and I assume the New Orleans and Seattle after they are held. Thus far the meetings have been brief, and sparsely attended. Miami lasted 28 minutes and had 5 people attending, New York lasted about 40 and had about the same attendance.

Jim,
Do you think they will let me bring one of these? I’ll make sure I have my TWIC.

Reading the new proposal nothing changes for the 100 ton license. Its the 200 ton license that everything changes, it basically the new 500 ton since they are getting rid of it.

[I][quote=anchorman;22242]Jim, Do you think they will let me bring one of these?[/quote][/I]

Sure. Use it to tell my boss to put down the blackberry and pretend to pay attention.

Be careful Jimmy or they’ll send you to charm school again.

pretty pathetic…makes me not want to waste time going…no wonder management and the USCG always has the mariner “on the run”!!

have been dissecting the document and copious taking notes…maybe I can dazzle them brilliance and mostly baffle them with bullshit for at least 15 minutes of fame!!

I think that as well intentioned as most of us are that we either are working and can’t get there, or like myself, found out to late to make the trip. I would have liked to be there in Miami had I known earlier. Even with not much to add, the presence of mariners at least shows interest. Now it appears as if most of us don’t care.

Those of you who do get to a meeting please emphasize the needs of those who cannot be there. I really only want to protect what I have at this stage.

From first notice of the proposed rule to comment meetings seems timed to ensure we cannot reasonably attend.

this one very tangible to making and renewing the licenses

we had to always lived in world carefully

Time to wear your fashionable watches,collect here