Coast Guard Rescinds Mate-OICNW Training Requiremen​ts

http://www.houstonmarine.com/mainframe.asp?mainSelection=newsLetter/newsLetter.asp

Sounds good for hawespipers, this changes the training requirements alot but will the exams remain unchanged?

Already posted in “Training and Licensing”

Sent in my 3rd Mate application… game on.

Thanks for posting this. It is great for guys that were stuck with the OSV restriction or stuck because of the huge expenses involved. You will be tested the 3rd/2nd Mate exam BUT its so well worth it.

[QUOTE=Gretchen-HM Training;52118]Thanks for posting this. It is great for guys that were stuck with the OSV restriction or stuck because of the huge expenses involved. You will be tested the 3rd/2nd Mate exam BUT its so well worth it.[/QUOTE]

No offense Ms. Gretchen, but you could always test out of the OSV restriction for 1600 Master, once you had the appropriate sea-time. The really great news is that if you tested Mate OSV you don’t have to retest for 3M.

You will be tested the 3rd/2nd Mate exam BUT its so well worth it

What I meant to say is you can go to Mate 500/1600 and not have to deal with the OSV restriction…say if you are going from an AB to Mate…

[QUOTE=Gretchen-HM Training;52176]What I meant to say is you can go to Mate 500/1600 and not have to deal with the OSV restriction…say if you are going from an AB to Mate…[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right in that. I did not look at it that way, and had this policy letter been in effect when I came up that is the route I would have gone. I guess I was just trying to dispel the misconception that Mate/OSV was a dead end.

this will be very good news for a lot of people, now they need to take back the one requiring shoreside classes for the rest of the licenses!

[QUOTE=Diesel;52195]You are absolutely right in that. I did not look at it that way, and had this policy letter been in effect when I came up that is the route I would have gone. I guess I was just trying to dispel the misconception that Mate/OSV was a dead end.[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget, the Mate OSV will be a better route by many. You can get the 6,000 ton endorsement on a Mate OSV, but not the 500 ton Mate. There are caveats that need to be considered before telling people that not having a trade restriction is better by virtue of not having a restriction. As you can see, unrestricted can close at least one door, it’s not automatically the other way around like most assume. I don’t think this has changed.

True, I am a prime example, but I always wanted to be a 1600 ton mate like my sea daddy.

[QUOTE=Diesel;52243]True, I am a prime example, but I always wanted to be a 1600 ton mate like my sea daddy.[/QUOTE]

Prove the experts wrong with them telling us that our generation will be the first to not surpass our parents. Get your 1600 Masters!

Can a master 500 GRT with the 3000 ITC OSV endorsement get the 6000 OSV endorsement? I assume there is a path for this through the Large OSV program?

Thanks for the motivation, but I got that a few months back! Woo hoo

No. The only licenses that can get a large OSV are Master 1600, Mate OSV, and Master OSV. It sounds retarded but if you do the Master OSV assessments and get a true Master OSV then you can then do large OSV program… All of them are company sponsored and you must be assessed by an OMSA assessor.

Thats fucked.

What are the training and testing difference between regular Master and Master OSV besides being able to get 6000 and the fact that you cant run anything but an OSV?

That’s great news…But what about the guys that put in the time -and money- and are one signoff from completing their OICNW?

[QUOTE=tradsailor;52270]That’s great news…But what about the guys that put in the time -and money- and are one signoff from completing their OICNW?[/QUOTE]You’re screwed, of course. Well trained, but screwed nonetheless.

No testing differences you just have to add the Master OSV assessments. You would still have your regular 500 ton license.