Coast Guard Rescinds Mate-OICNW Training Requiremen​ts

[QUOTE=tradsailor;52270]That’s great news…But what about the guys that put in the time -and money- and are one signoff from completing their OICNW?[/QUOTE]

I have decided against the traditional anchor tattoo on my forearm and get “sucker” tattooed on my forehead. Our tax dollars at work indeed!

[QUOTE=Diesel;52277]No testing differences you just have to add the Master OSV assessments. You would still have your regular 500 ton license.[/QUOTE]

Ok Thanks. Just submitted my app for my 500 master and as I work in the GOM, being able to get a 6000 OSV is kind of important.

Don’t forget to request the Master OSV 3000 ITC endorsement, it’s yours for the asking

No… Negative, if you take the freebie itc 3000 endorsement … You will not be able to get a 6000. You need to do the master osv assessments and then… When you apply you in essence apply for two licenses. Master 500 ton GRT domestic non trade restricted. And then also request
Master OSV 500 ton GRT/3000 ITC. The test is the same. You then have to serve 180 days on a vessel between 1000-3000 itc. You are then eligible for the large OSV program. If you do not or cannot get the master OSV assessments and certificate take the gimme 3000itc endorsement but you will not be eligible for the large osv program until you get your 1600 master. Houston Marine in New Orleans can sell you the book and issue the certificate after they are signed by an OMSA assessor.

Well I had to take the 3000 as I need to get on a bigger boat asap.

So your saying there is no way to even go back and get osv 6000 after you get 500/3000 even if you do the assessment?

No brother… Do the the assessment submit it as if a new application for Master OSV and you’d be good, its a subtle difference but one the CG pays attention to with regards to large osv upgrades. You can do it simultaneous or after the fact. I was speaking as if to someone applying now for a 500 ton upgrade… It will get you your 6000 about six months sooner. If you get a 1600 you’d be good anyway. A lot of people get bad advice and think, " why should I do the assessments when they will give me the endorsement for free." Well, this is why. One of my friends didn’t listen and got stuck, one did and will be able to upgrade to large OSV.

After that… Then you need to complete the Large OSV program, and assessments.

Man that’s just plain bass ackwards!
How comforting to know that the USCG is paying such close attention to a policy that makes absolutely no sense.

I mean it is, but it isn’t. Threre are four licenses that qualify for a Large OSV endorsement. Mate OSV, Master OSV, Mate 1600, and Master 1600. Just like the Mate OSV exam is the same as the 500 Mate exam, the Master OSV exam is the same as the 500 Master exam, so there are no testing differences. A 500 ton Master (gotten through testing but no assessments) can be “endorsed Master of OSV’s 3000 tons.” That’s different from someone who has done the Master OSV assessments (taken the exam) and has a true Master OSV 500/3000 ton license. It would be held or perceived as a separate license (if they also applied for the 500 GRT non trade restricted) instead of one being endorsed. Hope that clarifies.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;52301]Man that’s just plain bass ackwards!
How comforting to know that the USCG is paying such close attention to a policy that makes absolutely no sense.[/QUOTE]

As I sit here thinking about it it’s not that confusing at all. By the regulation a Master 500 endorsed for OSV’s NMT 3000 tons ITC is not qualified to have a Large OSV endorsement. You cannot have an endorsement of an endorsement, just like you cannot have a CEC of a CEC. A Master OSV (someone who has gone through the assessment program) holds a license that states Master of OSV’s NMT 500/3000, so the Large OSV is the first endorsement. To clarify, there is no ITC equivalency for 500 ton domestic. 1600 GRT domestic is equivalent to 3000 GT ITC, that is why Master/Mate 1600 also qualify for the Large OSV endorsement. The 3000 Ton ITC is intrinsic to their license, so the Large OSV is their first endorsement.

Mate 1600 is also eligible for Large OSV. For some reason it wouldn’t let me edit the post so I had to qoute, then correct myself…sorry.

[QUOTE=Diesel;52261]No. The only licenses that can get a large OSV are Master 1600, Mate OSV, and Master OSV. It sounds retarded but if you do the Master OSV assessments and get a true Master OSV then you can then do large OSV program… All of them are company sponsored and you must be assessed by an OMSA assessor.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Diesel;52444]I mean it is, but it isn’t. Threre are four licenses that qualify for a Large OSV endorsement. Mate OSV, Master OSV, Mate 1600, and Master 1600. Just like the Mate OSV exam is the same as the 500 Mate exam, the Master OSV exam is the same as the 500 Master exam, so there are no testing differences. A 500 ton Master (gotten through testing but no assessments) can be “endorsed Master of OSV’s 3000 tons.” That’s different from someone who has done the Master OSV assessments (taken the exam) and has a true Master OSV 500/3000 ton license. It would be held or perceived as a separate license (if they also applied for the 500 GRT non trade restricted) instead of one being endorsed. Hope that clarifies.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the explanations. My perception and frustration comes from the statement that if one has a 500 GRT Master non trade restricted, and then requests the “gimme” 3000 ITC OSV endorsement, that they cannot now do the Master OSV endorsements to obtain the true Master OSV 500/3000 ton license.
Why cant someone do the assessments and get the true Master OSV 500/3000 ton license? It seems kind of silly in one regard, because that mariner would now have a non trade restricted 500 GRT Master, with a 3000 ITC OSV endorsement, and then also have the true Master OSV 500/3000 license. Because the whole point of getting the second separate license, which is for most intents and purposes a COC that permits identical operation, is that the true Master OSV 500/3000 license allows entry into a large OSV program.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;52461]Thanks for the explanations. My perception and frustration comes from the statement that if one has a 500 GRT Master non trade restricted, and then requests the “gimme” 3000 ITC OSV endorsement, that they cannot now do the Master OSV endorsements to obtain the true Master OSV 500/3000 ton license.
Why cant someone do the assessments and get the true Master OSV 500/3000 ton license? It seems kind of silly in one regard, because that mariner would now have a non trade restricted 500 GRT Master, with a 3000 ITC OSV endorsement, and then also have the true Master OSV 500/3000 license. Because the whole point of getting the second separate license, which is for most intents and purposes a COC that permits identical operation, is that the true Master OSV 500/3000 license allows entry into a large OSV program.[/QUOTE]

You can have a 500 ton Master, Master OSV with 6000 ton…you will have a trade restrict and non-trade restricted license at the same time. No problem

[QUOTE=anchorman;52470]You can have a 500 ton Master, Master OSV with 6000 ton…you will have a trade restrict and non-trade restricted license at the same time. No problem[/QUOTE]

Anchorman, thanks for that … based on what Diesel had posted earlier it appeared that someone like myself with a non trade restricted 500 GRT Master, who had requested the “gimme” endorsement for 3000 ITC OSV, could not participate in the Large OSV program, but a Master OSV 500GRT/1600GT could.

So confused … lol
:confused:

[QUOTE=Flyer69;52472]Anchorman, thanks for that … based on what Diesel had posted earlier it appeared that someone like myself with a non trade restricted 500 GRT Master, who had requested the “gimme” endorsement for 3000 ITC OSV, could not participate in the Large OSV program, but a Master OSV 500GRT/1600GT could.

So confused … lol
:confused:[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the confusion, but like I said, I was explaining it as if to someone who was applying for the upgrade, right now, for first time. Why apply just for the gimme if you can do the assessments wrap up both licenses at the same time, and make yourself eligible for the Large OSV. Of course you can do the assessments after fact, then apply and make yourself eligible for Large OSV, but honestly that’s kind of pointless because by the time you do that most people can upgrade to 1600 ton Master and you are eligible anyway. It’s hard to explain the nuances in detail in a post, sorry again.

[QUOTE=anchorman;52470]You can have a 500 ton Master, Master OSV with 6000 ton…you will have a trade restrict and non-trade restricted license at the same time. No problem[/QUOTE]

That’s what I thought I said.

For someone who already has the non trade restricted Master 500 GRT, the “gimme” 3000 ITC OSV endorsement is the only way to operate OSV’s with ITC tonnages… so it is a help.
Diesel, your posts and info are helpful, I for one really appreciate the insight you guys give.

[QUOTE=Diesel;52489]That’s what I thought I said.[/QUOTE]

If I had a parrot, and it was retarded, I think that would be the first sentence to come out.

[QUOTE=anchorman;52498]If I had a parrot, and it was retarded, I think that would be the first sentence to come out.[/QUOTE]

I knew it was just a matter of time, I’m only surprised it took so long…LOL