Large OSV Seatime question

I am hoping to tap into the large knowledge base on here to see if I can get some clarification on the Large OSV license program.

Background is, I joined an OSV company with my1600/3000 Master Oceans in hand as well as my 3rd Mate Unlimited in hand. Because I had the unlimited 3rd the company placed me on one of their vessels that were over 3000 GT. I sailed as OICNW on this vessel leading a watch. During one hitch I had an approved assesor on board who was a Master 6000 and he went through the book with me and signed me off.

I recently submitted my application to obtain my 6000 Master OSV on the same application as my 2nd Mate unlimited upgrade. Now Coast Guard is saying those 56 days dont count towards my 2nd Mate unlimted, because I was training. I am argueing that I was the OICNW on that vessel, I was licensed for it and I have the log copies to prove it. My 56 days that I was supposedly training have to count towards my 2nd unlimited don’t they?

Any help or regs that pertain to this would help. It is my understanding that the 56 days as Training Captain is only for those 1600/3000 Master licenses who therefore are not licensed to sail above 3000 in any capacity, hence they have to be “Observers”.

Very confusing any help would be appreciated.

just march into the Coast Guard in Mandeville and DEMAND your Unlimited Tonnage Master’s License…afterall you EARNED IT!

Those 56 days you were supposed to be in training as an extra not holding a position on the bridge team. The NMCis right.

Just went through a similar scenario regarding the 56 days as “Training Captain”…

I believe that because the assessments you had signed off are part of an “approved training program” with your company (I am assuming they are), the Coast Guard requires that the said 56 day training period be shown as “Training Captain” on your sea service letter, therefor, they won’t count that time towards you unlimited upgrade, even if you technically had a 3M license and ran a watch. Touchy interpretation on the Coast Guards part, but that’s how it was explained to me. Best of luck…

Don’t worry about c.asshole. This guy has EARNED what he is asking for. He’s not asking for something special. He passed the third/seconds exam and put in time over 3000GRT thereby earning his upgrade to second.

As for your other question, it has been my experience that the 56 day training for 6000OSV master can not be used in any other way as time. The way they call it, you were serving as a mate(and you were). The 56 days must be as training captain only. You can’t accrue both at the same time.

Yeah I guess I just interpret the 56 days as an observer as applying to guys with 3000 master licenses ONLY, who can’t work on that bridge to begin with. Which makes sense because the seatime wouldn’t count for anything because they can’t be on that vessel in any legal capacity.

If you’re licensed for that bridge, you should just have to do the assesment booklet and submit or at the very least the 56 days should also count towards your upgrade to 2nd unlimited. Problem I had was my company wouldn’t give me the OSV training certificate unless I had the sea service letter say “Training Captain”.

[QUOTE=c.captain;147531]just march into the Coast Guard in Mandeville and DEMAND your Unlimited Tonnage Master’s License…afterall you EARNED IT![/QUOTE]

Who the fuck are you to judge?

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;147540]Who the fuck are you to judge?[/QUOTE]

and are you really the missing link between Neanderthals and modern man like your avatar indicates?

[QUOTE=c.captain;147543]and are you really the missing link between Neanderthals and modern man like your avatar indicates?[/QUOTE]

Still judging?

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;147544]Still judging?[/QUOTE]

pretty much and would you like one or two lumps with your tea?

C.captain for some reason thinks he owns the forum. So he as EARNED the title c.asshole

[QUOTE=Bamatug;147552]C.captain for some reason thinks he owns the forum. So he as EARNED the title c.asshole[/QUOTE]

coming from from where you do, that statement has the strength of styrofoam…

[QUOTE=c.captain;147545]pretty much and would you like one or two lumps with your tea?[/QUOTE]

Two lumps, thank you… You have any crumpets to go with?

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;147556]Two lumps, thank you… You have any crumpets to go with?[/QUOTE]

no crumpets I’m afraid but you can have a cigar to go

//youtu.be/UKyhTX9LQEA

[QUOTE=c.captain;147558]

//youtu.be/UKyhTX9LQEA
[/QUOTE]

Nothing on topic to say really.
Got lost among the old Warner Brothers cartoons. Mel Blanc on Lettermen from 1981 is worth the 10 minutes to watch.

I think Rigdvr got it correct. You can’t use the time for two different things at the same time. Training mate or capt. counts towards your 2nd mate but only if you use it for that purpose, you are using it for your 6000ITC endorsement though.

Here is a link from the past. The master of all this responded and his word is pretty much gold. (Mr. Cavo)

[QUOTE=c.captain;147558]no crumpets I’m afraid but you can have a cigar to go

//youtu.be/UKyhTX9LQEA
[/QUOTE]

You reference cartoons as if you might have a sense of humor… Say it ain’t so!

[QUOTE=cayohueso;147526]I am hoping to tap into the large knowledge base on here to see if I can get some clarification on the Large OSV license program.

Background is, I joined an OSV company with my1600/3000 Master Oceans in hand as well as my 3rd Mate Unlimited in hand. Because I had the unlimited 3rd the company placed me on one of their vessels that were over 3000 GT. I sailed as OICNW on this vessel leading a watch. During one hitch I had an approved assesor on board who was a Master 6000 and he went through the book with me and signed me off.

I recently submitted my application to obtain my 6000 Master OSV on the same application as my 2nd Mate unlimited upgrade. Now Coast Guard is saying those 56 days dont count towards my 2nd Mate unlimted, because I was training. I am argueing that I was the OICNW on that vessel, I was licensed for it and I have the log copies to prove it. My 56 days that I was supposedly training have to count towards my 2nd unlimited don’t they?

Any help or regs that pertain to this would help. It is my understanding that the 56 days as Training Captain is only for those 1600/3000 Master licenses who therefore are not licensed to sail above 3000 in any capacity, hence they have to be “Observers”.

Very confusing any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

If you were a mate (OICNW) and not a trainee in addition to the required crews of the boat, you did not meet the terms of the training program. The program approval also requires prior experience as Master on an OSV of less than 3,000 GT.

The time can be used for 2nd Mate, but it can’;t be used as part of the large OSV training program.

By the way, the Large OSV training program way to qualify for Master OSV for over 3,000 GT is going away. The new regulations include a path to this endorsement, and the current training programs won’t net it. The current programs are only available to mariners eligible for grandfathering, and will end for all on January 1, 2017 for the STCW endorsement, and March 24, 2019 for the license.

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;147572]You reference cartoons as if you might have a sense of humor… Say it ain’t so![/QUOTE]

always keep your opponents guessing is my strategy…if they’re off balance, they are easier to knock down into the gutter

[QUOTE=jdcavo;147576]If you were a mate (OICNW) and not a trainee in addition to the required crews of the boat, you did not meet the terms of the training program. The program approval also requires prior experience as Master on an OSV of less than 3,000 GT.The time can be used for 2nd Mate, but it can’;t be used as part of the large OSV training program.By the way, the Large OSV training program way to qualify for Master OSV for over 3,000 GT is going away. The new regulations include a path to this endorsement, and the current training programs won’t net it. The current programs are only available to mariners eligible for grandfathering, and will end for all on January 1, 2017 for the STCW endorsement, and March 24, 2019 for the license.[/QUOTE]So I guess Im in limbo! I did have the year as Master on an OSV less than 3000GT so that part was covered. Since my sea service letter was written by the company as Training then it will stand that way and I’ll lose those days for the 2nd unlimited I guess. Now you mention that the Large OSV program is going away, will previous holders of the OSV 6000 endorsement be grandfathered into the new system, or will there be additional training required for that? Mr. Cavo do you have a link to the new regs that spell out these changes to the OSV program so we can all take a look. Thanks again for weighing in.