Sea Shepherd Peter Brown Is A Moron - Official Thread

Nope - he lives on Cape Cod. Ran into him at the local post office one day.

Did you put your car in reverse and run him over again? :rolleyes:

Hello,

I posted this last week on www.seashepherd.com.au/forum that sparked some good responses. Unfortunately the forum is currently under review. I’m curious if my post will remain. Some of the members responded with the usual don’t post your criticism here while others were much more open minded. I know that my comments were harsh and It’s not a good practice to form a complete opinion of a person based on a TV produced snap shot but what I viewed really bothered me. While I agree with their cause, I think that their operations need some serious review before allot of people end up dying for this cause. They’ve been lucky so far but if they continue to rub paint with these whaling ships, their luck will eventually run out.

Here is the post:

If they are trying to save the Whales, Who’s trying to save them from themselves?

A few observations after viewing Whale Wars:

To put it plainly, the mission planning seems to be nonexistent. They have an objective to stop commercial Japanese whaling ships from hunting and harvesting. Yet their actions at every encounter with the whaling fleet seem to be made up on the fly. After conducting these operations for years, one would think that they would have developed a protocol or standard plan of action other than try to get in the way or throwing stink bombs and glass bottles of butyric acid. Along with throwing or launching glass bottles that could injure a person, attempts to foul propellers and a collision with one of the whaling ships is just giving their opponents more fuel to label them as “Terrorists”. After the collision every time they approach a ship the Captain would be justified in using extreme measures to protect their ship. The Sea Shepherds actions are working against them, especially in the court of international law which they’re loosely using as justification for their actions.

Taking 30+ inexperienced international volunteers and putting them on a ship to conduct anti-whaling operations is a recipe for disaster as documented on the show. Most of them have never been at sea before. Then having them conduct zodiac launches and ship boardings is negligent behavior. They are unnecessarily putting many people in harms way as demonstrated in the failed manned launching of a zodiac that capsized and all aboard were thrown into the icy cold water, amazingly no one was killed. And another time when a zodiac was launched to chase a whaling ship that they had no chance of catching up with and were almost lost at sea. Their ship boarding was just another example of putting people at unnecessary risk based on a flawed idea. If you illegally board a ship you are considered a Pirate. To illegally board a ship and then accuse that ship of kidnapping and holding hostages is silly. Paul Watson stated on camera “The possibility is there, you could die. If you are not accepting those possibilities, then you don’t belong there.” This is 6 min into season 1 episode 2. Another quote “I don’t have much patience with people who are what I refer to as cowards. What are they afraid of anyway?”. Well Paul, if they follow through with one of your so called strategies of let’s try this and see what happens, their afraid of dying. I don’t think being afraid of death can be classified as being a coward.

http://www.fancast.com/tv/Whale-Wars/101673/1469048193/Whale-Wars%3A-Nothing-s-Ideal/videos

As a Veteran of the U.S. Military, I’ve worked with Commanders of all branches of service and the one thing that they all have in common is that the safety of their people is paramount. There is considerable risk involved in conducting military operations and a process called Operational Risk Management (ORM) is used to evaluate and minimize the risk to people while achieving the mission objectives. Paul Watson seems to view his volunteers as an expendable resource in his Whale War. His cavalier attitude towards the safety of his volunteers is appalling.

The results of their actions are at best are a temporary annoyance to the whaling ships. The only thing that seems to be effective is to get behind the factory ships and prevent them from transferring the whales. To accomplish this task doesn’t require putting people at extreme risk and is an achievable goal. They need to get a ship that has an ice rating and is fast enough to trail the factory ships. This would force the whaling fleet to start harassing the Sea Shepherds to get them out of the way. This would cast a better light on the Sea Shepherds in the arena of public opinion. It would be a significant victory if they managed to prevent a factory ship from processing any whales for the entire time they’re at sea.

This is a covert idea but they could put a radio or satellite transponder on the whaling ships, basically lo-jacking them. The Sea Shepherds Steve Irwin burns up 1000’s of gallons of fuel just trying to locate the whaling ships. They have to know where these ships dock. The website www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ shows where most commercial ships are currently. They will have to figure out how to attach the transponders to the ship. The easiest way would be to attach it while the ship is docked and hope they don’t find it. With the amount of funds the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society raises annually they could buy the whaling fleets radio and marine transponder frequencies so they would know exactly where the ships were. They could also find a like minded Japanese environmentalist that could get a job as a dock worker and plant it aboard. The savings in fuel alone would make it cost effective rather than putting around the Southern Ocean hoping to find the fleet. Money doesn’t seem to be a problem for the Sea Shepherds though. Take a look at their latest James Bond looking addition to the fleet, the Ady Gil http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ady_Gil. I wonder if it came with a Q support team? That may have saved it from being cut in half by a Japanese ship.

They could also attach it at sea with one of the zodiacs upon their first encounter of the season. The device could be attached to the hull magnetically and have a hydrodynamic shape like a low profile dome and painted the same color of the ship. It could also have a small port to direct water though to power a tiny turbine as a power or recharging system so the transponders power would have significant signal range.

Concerning operations, Peter Brown should stick to producing TV shows and stay off of the bridge. His ship operations decisions are poor at best. From the footage shown, his decisions are the reason that the ship was almost crushed by an ice pack and the capsizing of a manned zodiac. After reading their bios, the volunteer Jane Taylor is better qualified to pilot the ship in the Captains absence than he is.

I really don’t see how Paul Watson has achieved this Charles Manson like power over people.
Here’s what one crew member, Peter Hammarstedt stated about Paul Watson “He’s sort of the master tactician of this campaign. He’s too busy saving whales to deal with sort of human problems” Seriously Peter, what is wrong with you? The only thing Paul Watson is a master at, is risking other peoples lives to achieve his own goals.

Hopefully basic economics will eventually stop commercial whaling. According to this Greenpeace report, commercial whaling is a failing business due to the cost and lack of demand for whale meat.

With any luck Paul Watson will also go out of business and not be commanding a ship anymore. He could do something that he’s good at, manipulating the press. He did manage to get the boarding incident in the news for a few days but was that really worth risking two peoples lives? The two that boarded could have easily slipped and fell into the water where they would have been sucked into the props and turned into human chum. If he continues to tempt fate just like his ships name sake Steve Irwin found out, fate will take it’s toll. Paul needs take a position with my own cause:

Stopping the Needless Endangerment of Humans.

Personally I can’t decide who is the bigger moron…such a toss up between Watson and Brown.

Its a tie. BOTH are MORONS

[QUOTE=rigmedic;31570]Personally I can’t decide who is the bigger moron…such a toss up between Watson and Brown.[/QUOTE]

I came across Whale Wars a few days ago and got hooked.

I agree Peter Brown is a bit of an idiot - the episode where they are navigating through the ice and he doesn’t understand bearings is hilarious and terrifying at the same time.

The whole crew is pretty stupid.
For example, in the penultimate episode of the second season (entitled ‘The Stuff of Nightmares’) they follow the factory ship while THREE separate harpoon ships drop off THREE whales.

They obviously [U]want[/U] to stop them, but they are too dumb to work out how to.
They miss the third one because they are refuelling the helicopter when the helicopter wasn’t even needed. It seems they launched it just to confirm that one of the harpoon ships did in fact have a whale, but the guys with binoculars had already seen the whale! Plus, why do they never drop the stink bombs from the helicopter?

At one stage in the series they try to throw the stink bombs on to the forecastle of the factory ship from the zodiac!!! Even if they could reach it, the whale meat doesn’t go anywhere near the forecastle, it’s a completely useless effort.

After I’d seen a few episodes I was wondering why they don’t use some sort of sling or elastic to launch the bottles at far greater ranges.

Also the incompetence of the crew when launching the small boats is crazy. They appear to have no common sense about when and where to pull the ropes and let the boats swing all over the place.

The “I’ve been shot” thing was also pretty ridiculous. I was in the cadets and have pried bullets from kevlar, but anyone that has seen a bullet in a film or on the TV could clearly see that it was not a bullet.

I think they do them selves a huge disservice. I am definitely anti-whaling but I wouldn’t go near them.
They go out year after year and it takes them weeks to travel down to the whaling area - pleanty of time for some basic training and organisation; two things in very short supply on the Steve Irwin.

This thread is dedicated to the most incompetent mariner I have ever had the pleasure of observing… [I]Whale Wars[/I] star & Sea Shepherd Chief Mate [B][I]Peter Brown[/I][/B].

I’ll see your Peter Brown and raise you a Mick Cutler

[QUOTE=New3M;28133]Nope - he lives on Cape Cod.[/QUOTE]

Mass Maritime?:confused:

Capt J.J. Patten told me years ago, “When you have an idiot in the wheel house, stay real close to the life boats”

Stupid question but on a private boat like that with volunteers are the guys required to have licenses? If they do, did any got to maritime school or just hawspipe it on yuppie boats?

He’s coming back! New season starts June 4.

I caught that show the other day man all the people on there are nuts could not belive the dumb stuff they were doing and they are just like sheep LOL TREE hugin SOBs

I saw it for the first time on Friday. Unreal stupidity. I was sitting in a bar and the sound was off and I was still appalled at the stupidity I was watching!

Finally a professional forum for professionals. Whale War is a shame for all commercial Captains and Crew, I’m a owner of 4 commercial Tuna Long liners, i’ve fish professional over 30 year, world wide, the Crab fishermen in Barents Sea, that’s the real deal fellas. Who is the sponsors behind these Sea Shepherd ? How can they give money to such project, Japan have a very strictly quota how many they catch, with these idiot there or not, they’ll catch the yearly quota anyhow. No one seems to know how much Whales we have in the sea, but i can tell it’s many, the Whales eat Tuna from our hooks, very smart animals, they never eat the head, never touch a hook. some day’s we ( feed ) the Whales with Tuna worth 25 000 Usd, yes 25 000 Usd, so i should be a member of Greenpeace. When the Whales strike, we can not fish the area, we must move hundreds of nm away. These Watson who is maneuvering the boat in the way of commercial fishing boats should be in-prisoned. I have much more to say about these, but i better leave it for now, just making me frustrated. Peter

I was bored and watched the marathon yesterday… Man do I feel smart now! My favorite is how they have a Kevlar line for their prop fouler. They think that because it’s advertised as being “stronger than steel” there’s no way it can be cut! Then when it goes through a prop and gets cut they are legitimately confused. I mean seriously, how stupid do you have to be to understand that there’s a difference between the tensile strength of a line being greater than steel and the ability to be cut. I guess no one took a knife to it to make it?

You’re shittin’ me!!! This dipshit lives on Cape Cod? Im going to try to find him and give him an earfull! What an incompetent, risky, unprofessional, dangerous man to allow at the wheel! I dare not say in command, since he has long since abdicated that responsibility and not in charge because he is letting the TV cameras dictate what/where and how he does things.

All in all: Disgusting. Further proof that you don’t need brains to have a license, it’s not the license that makes the man, but the MAN that makes the license.

Yea he lives in Eastham - I ran into him in the post office last year. Apparently he’s not on this season…even with the “fleet” haha.

nice work on the OFFICIAL THREAD.

I feel bad for the parents of the kids who sign up to go “fight whalers” with this ass clown.

How about that Navy quote "…it takes the Navy twice as long as it takes us to do something"
or his comment how Peter Brown said “I am Anti-Military” He just made a lot of Service Men and Women around the world anger because they are protecting the rights and freedoms of idiots like him.
Peter Brown is a negative light on the Sea Sheppard and should be demoted. If he doesn’t like the Military, I hear that the Canadian boarders are open.

Its backkkkkk