Picked up a new toy. Stoger coach gun in 12

with IC and Mod barrels. (fixed chokes) 3 inch mag-20 inch barrels- Gonna take it turkey hunting in a few weeks. Still have to pattern it. Bought some #5 flight control ammo and Hornandy heavy magnum turkey nickle plated rounds designed for IC and Mod chokes. Wanted something short and light for run-n-gun, plus it’s cool…:wink:

Earlie Cuyler would be proud.

External hammers?

I always wanted a Stoeger Uplander! Good choice, there’s no substitute for excellent taste. Stoeger is the only current-producting side-by-side that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Does anyone know of any others?

You can catch wild turkeys with a slingshot now. They have become like their brethren pain in the ass species, Non-migratory Canadian geese.

The suburban homeowners in Staten Island shoo them away with brooms.

[QUOTE=seriously;153391]External hammers?[/QUOTE]

Nope, internal. Dual trigger.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;153393]I always wanted a Stoeger Uplander! Good choice, there’s no substitute for excellent taste. Stoeger is the only current-producting side-by-side that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Does anyone know of any others?[/QUOTE]

Savage/Russia makes a long 12. #411? maybe, looked well built $400 or so. 28 inch w/ screw in chokes. Looked at it but it was 3 inches shorter than my Beretta Silver mallard so it was passed on. Took a look at the China made ones, just looked clunky and poorly built . giant hammers on em’and had also looked at the lever action 12 Century is peddling Cyl bore (no choke) passed. Stoger is owned by Beretta btw.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=catherder;153397]You can catch wild turkeys with a slingshot now. They have become like their brethren pain in the ass species, Non-migratory Canadian geese.

The suburban homeowners in Staten Island shoo them away with brooms.[/QUOTE]

Not so here, turkeys are highly sought after. hate those F’ing “sky carp” Canook geese.

I picked up a S&W 1006 pistol the other day. Thats what happens when you watch to many episodes of Miami Vice on Netflix! :smiley:

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;153446]I picked up a S&W 1006 pistol the other day. Thats what happens when you watch to many episodes of Miami Vice on Netflix! :D[/QUOTE]

Nice, pix did not work. I got my father the 4506 (.45 ACP) a couple of years ago. Bought my wife one a 5906 (9mm) trinium sights and I have the 6906 (9mm ) hammer less handgun for concealed carry. All well built and good shooters.

The S&W Governor is my home defense standard now. Wife loves it. Using Hornandy Critical def .410. - A .41 cal hollow point and 2 .30 balls per shot. At house ranges it almost stacks em. Our big joke is that’s she’s sleeping with the Governor while I’m away…:slight_smile:

• Updated - - -

Off to the range with the Stoger Coach Gun. Gonna try about 4 different “turkey loads” and #7.5, buckshot and slug and see what’s what.

I have a S&W Governor as well. I gave it to my dad for him to have at his house. I have a 3913 coming soon too but I might sell that one.

3 inch mags out of a coach gun are no joke! Sore as hell. I’ll review all the targets tomm. Also, I believe all this media hype about “super turkey ammo” is a load of crap.

*Shot my scoped mosin-nagant rifle as well 5 out of 5 on steel @ 300 yards with boring repeatablity. Scoped with posp 4x, 1938 model 7.62X54r. Surplus spam can ammo. Damm I love that rifle.

Strange but after going thru my targets it looks like the plain jane 2 3/4 stuff worked better… #6 fed game loads and #2 nitro steel. Crazy.(Have to look at the #'s and figure out why? Too fast or the load weight?) In the past I’ve shot rifles that were crap until I found the right load/weight/speed.

I got more superdooper turkey ammo this am. Winchester Long beard XR #5.($21.75 10 shots) Bored and might as well try a few other loads I have laying around,(several diff boxs of random shells) forgot my slugs and will try them too. Nasty beast with the buckshot under 25 yards.

Noticed the forestock kicking back and opening a bit with some of the mag loads. Tried pulling on the stock but i could not get it to move. After 30 shots of Mag rounds It was like getting kicked by a mule that knows karate! Trigger guard also bit me when firing the forward trigger. (also when dumping both barrels with buck 00. Oops!)

Had some problems as I’m a life long rifle shooter, like looking thru one eye, aiming on the bead like a rifle etc… just need more shooting to learn the “point”, Also there is no notch on the rear of the reciever to “line up” messes with my head.

Fun though! It might just become my “truck-boat-truck gun” just in case the computers and the intranet becomes self awares and takes over the world. Damm Computers!

Got any pics of the new toy?

Can’t figure out the damm pix thing It’s just like this one.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5lxs51VY6eVoNHt3r7coOpiwGxtK1L6hENuT8XTXqwpt3y0BdQw

Just use tinypic.com, it’s so easy! No sign up, no fee, no BS.

Yeah! Used my profile photo album.

I may have figured it out. All the shells that patterned good were 2 3/4’s we shall see.

Got it all taken apart. Hitting all the rough metal spots(contact points) with the dremel to smooth it up.Extractor showed some abnormal wear. Also using 0000 steel wool on the bore to clean it up as well. Wooden dowel and a cordless drill. Should improve the pattern/POI. We shall see. This is an “old school” trick for shotguns.

Learning all kinds of stuff about shotguns that I did not know.

Burnishing it’s called. It also cleans up the forcing cone and transition area of the fixed chokes. Hence smoother bore and less drag on the wad keeping the wad/shot tight so that when it reaches the choke it’s not strung out and exits the barrel together. You can see this effect in slow mo vids of shot hitting a target. Ideally all the shot should arrive on or at the same time not in a stream. After this the flight control wads shouldl actually work like they are supposd to.

Shot and shot and shot the Mule. Tried alot of the turkey loads. Shot about 100 rounds of various 3inch 2 oz magnum loads.2 3/4 1 oz- Tried hornandy,winchester,kent,federal.suprema,estate in #2,#4,#5,#6,#7.5,#8 Buckshot, and slugs! Steel shot,lead,shot,diamond shot, etc… Magic wads, resin encapsluated shot etc… Some of these shells were + 18.00 for 10.

And the best preforming loads… the cheap stuff… go figure?

Federal #2 steel Nitro mag (high brass) @ 25 yards Phesant load. 2 3/4 shell
Federal #6 Steel (low brass) @ 25 yards Phesant load. 2 3/4 shell

Federal 1 oz rifled slug @ 50 yards in 10 inch circle 2 3/4 shell
Estate OO buckshot. @ 50 yards at least 4 pellets in 10 inch circle 2 3/4 shell

2 3/4 worked better than the 3 inch… hmmmmmmm

Now remember I’m shooting mod and IC fixed chokes. Not super full or Extra full. and a 3 inch chamber but the 2 3/4’s patterned better?

Punsihment, Brusied my birdy finger, my cheek, and shoulder. Trying to manhandle the mule! The Slugs kicked less than the “Turkey loads”

Burnishing the bores of the gun DID help. I did see tighter patterns and the POI (point of impact) was better.

I will be using this beast to turkey hunt here next month. Prob use #6 steel in the Mod and #2 steel in the IC barrels. As long as I can get them in to about 25-30 yards I’ll bag one!

Playing kick the can with # 7.5 was alot of fun!! Quick follow up while the can was moving. This would be a great rabbit gun.

Just for fun I’ll have to keep my eyes out for one of the Old Rossi double hammer overlanders.

Ouch!!! 3 inch mags are no joke…

After all this screwing around the winner is Winchester # 3 Steel 2 3/4. the $15 per 25 shells.I could use the #6 steel @ 7.99 per 25 but like the larger harder hitting #3.
#3 steel will knock the $hit out of anyting under 50 yards so I feel safe. I prob won’t take any shots over 25-30 yards.
And under 25 yards the IC barrel will come in handy.
Learned alot about shotguns,chokes,lead,steel,2 3/4,3 inch shells.
Using steel my BOOMSTICK! shoots like a full choke (mod barrel) and a Mod (Imp barrel) so more range less spread.

Now where’s the damm TURKEYS!!!

Spring season in Texas I use duplex 2x6 loads with good results. Fall season I use 22mag pistol.