Motv to 500 master + pilotage

Hello,
I currently have a 1600t mate NC, 200t master NC, and MOTV. I ultimately want to get my 1600t master, but I understand that I can us my MOTV to get my 500t master, with a limited exam, and then it’s just sea time to get the 1600t master. I’m just looking for feedback on this route.

I also have my trips for Miss R. pilotage, and would like to get this too. It’s my understanding that it would be better to apply for this after the upgrade to 500 master…thoughts?

Thanks

I was just reading the same checklists for my own license issues… I think all you need is 360 days as Master or Mate on a towing vessel over 100 GRT while holding the 1600 Mate license to qualify for 1600 master… Maybe I’m wrong, but read the checklist:

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/pdfs/mcp_fm_nmc5_06_web.pdf?list1=%2Fnmc%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2Fmcp_fm_nmc5_06_web.pdf&B1=GO!

So the 500 GRT thing would be a waste of time for you. Just go for the 1600.

That is my understanding aswell but the more i research the more im getting confused…I am in a similar situation. I hold only a 100 ton master 200 ton mate near coastal with masters of towing and I would like to upgrade to a 1600 ton INLAND…
I was told by a local maritime instructor I could take an abbreviated or limited exam…rules and deck general but the local rec said no must retest. I meet all service requirements and have been capt pushing barges now for near 7 years on the columbia river and tribs. So I am really eager to hear responses…
I didnt mean to dump my situation in your post but through searching yours was the most recent that came up. Good luck and ill sure post if I find out your answer…thanks

[QUOTE=cowboy;148221]I was just reading the same checklists for my own license issues… I think all you need is 360 days as Master or Mate on a towing vessel over 100 GRT while holding the 1600 Mate license to qualify for 1600 master… Maybe I’m wrong, but read the checklist:

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/pdfs/mcp_fm_nmc5_06_web.pdf?list1=%2Fnmc%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2Fmcp_fm_nmc5_06_web.pdf&B1=GO!

So the 500 GRT thing would be a waste of time for you. Just go for the 1600.[/QUOTE]

I know I have enough time, but I want to be sure and only take the limited exam. …I think if I apply for the 1600t I’ll have to take the full exam.

Haven’t looked at checklists recently but that is probably the way to go. I would do 2 seperate apps the way not everything is depending on one another getting completed. Also I would not want to study for pilotage and a regular exam at the same time. Do the 500, then pilotage. You may be able to do the 1600 upgrade on the same app as pilotage.

[QUOTE=z-drive;148325]Haven’t looked at checklists recently but that is probably the way to go. I would do 2 seperate apps the way not everything is depending on one another getting completed. Also I would not want to study for pilotage and a regular exam at the same time. Do the 500, then pilotage. You may be able to do the 1600 upgrade on the same app as pilotage.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks very much.

[QUOTE=cowboy;148221]I was just reading the same checklists for my own license issues… I think all you need is 360 days as Master or Mate on a towing vessel over 100 GRT while holding the 1600 Mate license to qualify for 1600 master… Maybe I’m wrong, but read the checklist:

So the 500 GRT thing would be a waste of time for you. Just go for the 1600.[/QUOTE]

He has it right. Going to 500 GRT is a limited exam, 1,600 would be the full exam.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;148363]He has it right. Going to 500 GRT is a limited exam, 1,600 would be the full exam.[/QUOTE]

Jdcavo,

Can I then get my 1600t master without a test after getting the 500t master?

Thanks

I don’t have the exact paperwork to cite but when I did my upgrade I went to 500 master/1600 mate, and had to test. When I submitted time a few months later I did not have to test again to get my 1,600 master. But I can’t say what circumstances caused that or where it’s written/not written as I DID take a complete exam when I upgraded as I did not have enough near coastal MOT time to qualify for the limited exam.

[QUOTE=waterman74;148372]Can I then get my 1600t master without a test after getting the 500t master?[/QUOTE]

You shouldn’t have to test. See the 4th footnote on page 15 of the NMC Exam Guide.

Okay so I have a 500 GRT master inland license & 200 master GRT NC. Do I have to retake the entire exam again for 500 Mate near coastal or is there a “limited exam” for that?

[QUOTE=cowboy;148391]Okay so I have a 500 GRT master inland license & 200 master GRT NC. Do I have to retake the entire exam again for 500 Mate near coastal or is there a “limited exam” for that?[/QUOTE]

You’re not “retaking the entire exam again” because you never took it. There’s no partial exam, you take the whole thing.

Wow that really sucks.

[QUOTE=cowboy;148419]Wow that really sucks.[/QUOTE]

What’s the problem? You already know most of the required material. At least you are suppose to. You could probably pass most of the 70 percent modules in one day without even studying. You’ll need to study and refresh on the rules of the road, and maybe practice a few chart plots. The only big deal is the 146 or 206 T-Nav module, you will be learning a lot of new material for that which actually requires some brainpower and a lot of effort.

Yeah I know I can pass the test, it just sucks that you have to take another exam to make a lateral move, seems like it would make sense to have your sea time dictate your route, and have the exams dictate the tonnage… A boat is a boat is a boat… Oh well time to get the books out…

A few years back every license required a full exam every time. Now it depends on what license, what you already have, and what the evaluator feels like doing. There appears to be a lot of variation between evaluators.

I know a third mate that recently upgraded to master 1600 and master of towing. He did not have any unlimited tonnage seatime to upgrade to second mate first and qualify for the cross over exam to master 1600. They made him take every module for both exams, except rules of the road, even though the master of towing modules were just much simplified and shorter versions of the master 1600 modules. He took 11 modules in three days. Silly, but no problem.

When upgrading above 200 tons, the only big differences in the exams are much higher levels of T-Nav and C-Nav. Going from 200 tons up to 500 tons or more is not a lateral move. Mate 500, mate 1600, mate OSV, third mate, and second mate, are as I understand it all the same exam.

The differences in the exams between third mate, master 500, and master 1600 are trivial. They could just add the little bit of management level material to the third mate exam, and make all of it the same exam. Its the government, so they have to make it lot more complicated and confusing than it needs to be.

A test for Master of Towing?

What happened to the TOAR?

If you dont have the seatime required to upgrade to 1600 master while holding a thirds mates ticket it is imposible to upgrade to 1600 with the cross over exam. So if he wanted his 1600 master he was going yo have to test for it not based on the module 011X1. And add sea time for the other test.

Thirds mate test is really a 3rd/2nd mate test.

3rds is the same as 2nd, 1600, 500 mate.

You can test for master of towing and technically not have a regular tonnage license.

That makes no sense to do though if you have the days on a towing vessel and a toar (required for mot) why not just get the 1600 master and be done with it without dicking around with a mot exam? If nothing else just apply for MOT the next day.

It is confusing, but you’re right it’s doable. So then if I test for mate 500, then there would be another full test for master 500? I know once you get the master 500 it’s just seatime to get the 1600… That’s my long term goal here.

If you want to avoid exams, then go to 500 master right away. Then it’s just a time upgrade to 1,600. For the time being that will save you some OICNW classes too.