Motv to 500 master + pilotage

Yup, there is a test for master of towing. At least some people have to take it, Yes, TOAR is necessary, and a whopping 30 days of observer time on a tug too.

I don’t understand why the USCG is now issuing 500 grt / 3000 gt itc licenses, and also issuing 1600 grt / 3000 gt itc licenses. There is very little difference in size between a 500 and 1600 grt vessels. It’s a distinction with no practical difference. Also, either 500 or 1600 authorizes service on 3000 gt itc (which is the equivalent of 1600). They should stop issuing both 500 and 1600 ton licenses, and for that matter all grt licenses, and instead just issue the licenses for 3000 gt. itc.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;148434]A few years back every license required a full exam every time. Now it depends on what license, what you already have, and what the evaluator feels like doing. There appears to be a lot of variation between evaluators.

I know a third mate that recently upgraded to master 1600 and master of towing. He did not have any unlimited tonnage seatime to upgrade to second mate first and qualify for the cross over exam to master 1600. They made him take every module for both exams, except rules of the road, even though the master of towing modules were just much simplified and shorter versions of the master 1600 modules. He took 11 modules in three days. Silly, but no problem.

When upgrading above 200 tons, the only big differences in the exams are much higher levels of T-Nav and C-Nav. Going from 200 tons up to 500 tons or more is not a lateral move. Mate 500, mate 1600, mate OSV, third mate, and second mate, are as I understand it all the same exam.

The differences in the exams between third mate, master 500, and master 1600 are trivial. They could just add the little bit of management level material to the third mate exam, and make all of it the same exam. Its the government, so they have to make it lot more complicated and confusing than it needs to be.[/QUOTE]

that’s one thing they are outstanding at ~ more complicated and confusing than need be