Master 500 grt to 1600 grt

Am trying to upgrade from 500 to 1600 grt Master. I was SURE all I needed was 360 days as mate which I have. However the NMC has sent me a letter which says I must also have the 720 days on vessels over 100 grt which I do not have. I have looked around and tried a few searches without luck, has anyone any insight ? Been through this ?
Thanks

[QUOTE=Tcaptain;152734]Am trying to upgrade from 500 to 1600 grt Master. I was SURE all I needed was 360 days as mate which I have. However the NMC has sent me a letter which says I must also have the 720 days on vessels over 100 grt which I do not have. I have looked around and tried a few searches without luck, has anyone any insight ? Been through this ?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Sounds right. You need time over 100.

1440 days of service on Ocean, Near Coastal or Great Lakes waters, OF
WHICH

1. Service on inland waters, other than GL, may substitute for up to
    720 days of the total required service., AND
    [B]2. 720 days of service on vessels of more than 100 GRT, AND[/B]
  2. 720 days of service MUST have been as a master, mate; master or
    mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent position while holding an
    endorsement as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels,
    AND
    [B]4. 360 days of the service as master, mate, or equivalent position,
    must have been on vessels of more than 100 GRT; OR
    360 days of service as master/mate or master/mate T/V’s on Ocean or
    Near Coastal waters on vessels of more than 100 GRT while holding a
    license or MMC as mate less than 1600 GRT OC or master/ mate T/V’s.
    11.412[/B]

[QUOTE=Tcaptain;152734]Am trying to upgrade from 500 to 1600 grt Master. I was SURE all I needed was 360 days as mate which I have. However the NMC has sent me a letter which says I must also have the 720 days on vessels over 100 grt which I do not have. I have looked around and tried a few searches without luck, has anyone any insight ? Been through this ?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

If you happen to be on a dual tonnage boat, such as a crewboat working internationally (or in US waters but still set up to work internationally), they will accept the ITC tonnage, if it is over 100 ITC. Example: The crewboat is 99 GRT / 341 ITC, the 341 ITC will qualify you for the required seatime on vessels over 100 tons.

Really?

I thought that the USCG uses the lower domestic GRT when a vessel has dual tonnage?

I too have never heard of that.

[QUOTE=water;152753]If you happen to be on a dual tonnage boat, such as a crewboat working internationally (or in US waters but still set up to work internationally), they will accept the ITC tonnage, if it is over 100 ITC. Example: The crewboat is 99 GRT / 341 ITC, the 341 ITC will qualify you for the required seatime on vessels over 100 tons.[/QUOTE]

I have heard of this before but it’s not quite so cut and dry. You’re basically at the whims of the evaluator and whether or not he happens to be in a cheery mood when he gets to your file. Unless someone can find a specific CFR citation that explicitly says that this is allowed then it’s nothing but a fluke of the system. Sometimes you get an evaluator that will accept it and sometimes you don’t. Without the CFR’s it’s all down to lady luck, nothing more.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;152754]Really?

I thought that the USCG uses the lower domestic GRT when a vessel has dual tonnage?[/QUOTE]

There are several of us that I am aware of that have gone this route. Holly Chetta handled my application.

From USCG Policy Letter 11-12:

“b. When evaluating sea service on vessels measured under both regulatory and convention measurement systems, mariners may be credited with the ITC tonnage regardless of the nature of the voyages the vessel was engaged upon. Service will be credited under the lTC
tonnage if the mariner submits service letters or other documentation that the vessel(s) served on were operated in accordance with the manning requirements applicable to the higher ITC tonnage at all times noted in the service letter or documentation.”

Full policiy letter is here: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/policy/11-12.pdf

Whether or not this policy is still in effect, I do not know. It was when I upgraded.

Documenting that “the vessels were operated in accordance with the manning requirements applicable to the higher ITC tonnage” would be a problem for many of us.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;152790]Documenting that “the vessels were operated in accordance with the manning requirements applicable to the higher ITC tonnage” would be a problem for many of us.[/QUOTE]

It wasn’t an issue for us. And it wasn’t a problem, either. We ran the boat the same overseas as we did when we got back to the gulf. Had they asked for documentation, we could have supplied it.

[QUOTE=water;152753]If you happen to be on a dual tonnage boat, such as a crewboat working internationally (or in US waters but still set up to work internationally), they will accept the ITC tonnage, if it is over 100 ITC. Example: The crewboat is 99 GRT / 341 ITC, the 341 ITC will qualify you for the required seatime on vessels over 100 tons.[/QUOTE]
A friend of mine who has spent his whole career on crewboats, domestically and overseas, was able to get approved to upgrade from 200t to 1600t because of this exactly.

Thats good. 99 GRT seatime is good experience.

However, when all 99 GRT seatime is sufficient for a 1600 / 3000 ton license, it makes the USCG distinctions between 100 / 500 / 1600 rather meaningless.

Meanwhile, there are guys operating “99 GRT” ferries, over 200 feet long carrying 30 cars, a few tractor trailers, tons and tons of palletized freight and more than 1000 passengers with 100 GRT inland licenses.

The rule beater vessels have turned the entire concept of GRT tonnage as a meaningful standard into a complete farce.

I just received approval for a 1600T using this route myself. You may be able to submit things from the start and get it approved without hesitation, but I waited for them to kick it back and then I started a conversation with the evaluator. Once I sent in a copy of the ship’s COI, International Tonnage Cert and a copy of Policy Letter 11-12, the nice lady evaluated it all and sent me a letter yesterday saying that the 1600T Master’s license could be issued. Since the ship maintains its manning requirements regardless of the routes being run, we are able to accrue the larger tonnage sea time for the ship even when traveling domestically. Now I just need to find something worthwhile to do with the new license. Good luck with yours!

Congratulations, lanternfish!

And be safe out there.