Inflatable Work Vest Requirements? Same Model, Same Inflation Type, etc

I was looking to purchase a Type V work vest, such as the Mustang Survival MD3188, before heading out on my first hitch, so I took to the owner’s manual.

The owner’s manual stated that for commercial vessels, every inflatable must be from the same manufacturer and model, or same method of inflation: ie. pill or hydrostatic.

Is this hogwash, and I should continue as planned, or should I just wait until I found out whatever they have on board?

From the manual:

APPROVAL CONDITIONS AND CARRIAGE REGULATIONS
Commercial Vessels – Model MD3188 is approved by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) as a Work Vest ONLY WHEN WORN under 46 CFR 160.053 for use on all inspected and uninspected commercial vessels of any length. Not approved for “Hot Work”.

Uninspected Commercial Vessels – Model MD3188 is USCG-approved for use in lieu of a Type II PFD under 46 CFR 160.064 on uninspected commercial vessels less than 40 feet in length not carrying passengers for hire as a substitute for a Type II PFD when used and serviced in accordance with this manufacturer’s manual.

Conditions for commercial Type V and/or Work Vest Approval in commercial Applications

1. The MD3188 must be worn before getting underway and whenever above deck and not within an enclosed space to meet the carriage requirement.

2.The operator of a commercial vessel is responsible for servicing and maintaining the MD3188 in good serviceable condition in accordance with this manufacturer’s manual. See Care and Maintenance Instructions (page 13) for servicing information.

1. The operator of a commercial vessel is responsible for providing each person onboard with the safety information required for use of the MD3188. See Note to Commercial Vessel Operators, page 3, for information.

4. All inflatable PFDs in use aboard a commercial vessel must be the same manufacturer and model or have the same method of operation. Hydrostatic inflation and pill or bobbin type inflation do not qualify as the same method of operation.

[QUOTE=PineappleOranges;175239]I was looking to purchase a Type V work vest, such as the Mustang Survival MD3188, before heading out on my first hitch, so I took to the owner’s manual.

The owner’s manual stated that for commercial vessels, every inflatable must be from the same manufacturer and model, or same method of inflation: ie. pill or hydrostatic.

Is this hogwash, and I should continue as planned, or should I just wait until I found out whatever they have on board?[/QUOTE]

Never heard that one before…
I do prefer wearing the ‘horse collar’ style, especially when its warm. My current employer provides the same style on alll their boats. They are kinda expensive though. If money is a concern maybe it wouldn’t hurt waiting to see what they got on your first hitch?

Ctony made a good suggestion, wait and see what the company has/requires. We were working for one client that did not allow our crew to use Type V PFDs.

[QUOTE=PineappleOranges;175239]I was looking to purchase a Type V work vest, such as the Mustang Survival MD3188, before heading out on my first hitch, so I took to the owner’s manual.

Is this hogwash, and I should continue as planned, or should I just wait until I found out whatever they have on board?[/QUOTE]

See 46 CFR 199.70(b).

What the vessel is required by the USCG to carry, what personal gear the vessel may allow you to use, and what the customer may allow you to use, are all different stories.

It depends on where you are going to work. As a practical matter, take whatever personal gear you want and they will either let you use it, or they won’t. I have never seen any objection to float coats or Mustang work suits. I have seen a few objections to inflatables, and “water sports” vests at large companies/clients. I have heard of companies that require you to use only the equipment they provide. Whether that is enforced or not away from the dock is another matter.

i normally chose to work at companies that leave these kind of things up to me.