Inflatable type v pfd

Anyone wearing those mustang inflatable work vest? Are they a lot cooler that a regular workvest or life jacket type vest? Any pros or cons I should know about. They seem like they would be cooler in the summer and more mobility with winter layers on.

Read this.

Ok… looks like they recalled some inflators made during a two month window. Actually it looks like they got some bad co2 cylinders. Thanks

[QUOTE=bell47;84813]Anyone wearing those mustang inflatable work vest? Are they a lot cooler that a regular workvest or life jacket type vest? Any pros or cons I should know about. They seem like they would be cooler in the summer and more mobility with winter layers on.[/QUOTE]

I’ve used them for years on commercial assistance towing vessels (Sea Tow/TowBoat US, etc) as well as on yacht deliveries. They are comfortable enough that you forget they’re there. Can’t count the number of times I’ve accidentally driven home with one on. Couple of issues:

1. The auto-inflate is activated with what is known as a bobbin. The bobbin has a compound in it that quickly dissolves with moisture. Keep your PFD in a damp locker and it’s going to inflate. Recharge kits are about $10-15 each.

2. I’ve used the manual only inflate PFDs so I run the risk of hitting my head going over and not being able to inflate the PFD. In our work it was always a good chance that you’d be in the water at some point anyway so this was a calculated risk. If I were on a tug or crew boat I’d opt for the auto inflate or stick with a traditional Type I.

3. Mustang has what they call LIFT on some of theirs; other mfgs may have similar systems. This provides a larger inflation area that extends under the arms. The theory is that it will lift your head further out of the water so you’re less likely to ingest sea water.

4. No matter which version you buy look for a neoprene collar. The early versions just had the coarse fabric and stitching around the neck area and it chaffed. Newer versions all seem to have the padded collar but there may be some versions that don’t. Not an option IMO.

5. On some of mine I found that the air cylinder worked its way loose so activating would either not work or allow the air to escape and not fully inflate the chamber. We made it a part of the daily’s to check the cylinders before each watch.

Hope this is helpful. I’ve always liked the inflatable, but they do carry some risks with them.