Flying with a type V inflatable work vest?

The company i work for provides us with regular type V Work vest. We have the option of using inflatable type V if we want to, but you have to buy it yourself. Working on deck down south in the summer, the inflatable vest made by Mustang seems like a more comfortable option in the extreme heat. I fly to my hitches and wondered do any of you fly with one of these in your luggage? What do the airlines say about the CO2 cylinder? Any opinions on these inflatable type V Vest by Mustang would be appreciated.

Prior to leaving the boats in APR2010 I routinely flew JAX>EWR, EWR>JAX with this PFD with little to no hassle:
http://www.mustangsurvival.com/professional/md3188?division=professional&country=25

I work with a guy flying from FL to NOLA every hitch and he packs his Mustang Type V in his carry on. He says that he routinely has to educate the TSA agents about it being ok to fly with and usually has to call over their boss and sometimes educate him too. Said it adds an extra 5 minutes to getting through security but it is worth it.

[QUOTE=“dredgeboater;103689”]I work with a guy flying from FL to NOLA every hitch and he packs his Mustang Type V in his carry on. He says that he routinely has to educate the TSA agents about it being ok to fly with and usually has to call over their boss and sometimes educate him too. Said it adds an extra 5 minutes to getting through security but it is worth it.[/QUOTE]

I have no problems with TSA when my inflatable with CO2 cartridge is in my checked luggage. When it’s in my carry on, I sometimes get hassled at the security checkpoint.

What does he say? I travel with mine and I’m hassled half the time. I believe the aircraft emergency life jackets are equipped with similar CO2 canisters. Can anyone shed light on this?

From the TSA web site:
The following are permitted in check in and carry on: Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit)

I pack mine in my carry on every time. In Orlando, I have to take it out and explain - every time. In NOLA, I’ve only had to take it out once. Once they look up their rules, I’m allowed to carry it on. There is a CO2 cartridge under every seat. The TSA guys don’t know it though. They have always been nice, takes a few extra minutes, but I never check bags.