Your New Third Mate Showed Up Today

Wearing this T-shirt. . .

Could be worse. They could have shown up in dress uniform

there’s nothing worse…who at these schools tells kids to do that anyways?

[QUOTE=z-drive;184936]…who at these schools tells kids to do that anyways?[/QUOTE]

The folks who hand out the Kool-Aid.

[QUOTE=z-drive;184936]there’s nothing worse…who at these schools tells kids to do that anyways?[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, in my day it was Policy to show up in uniform as a cadet. I did on my first ship, and NEVER AGAIN. That said, we were all required to wear our khakis (with appropriate attachments) in the dining salon at meal time. And that was the only ship I was on where it was required. Not sure how it is now, but there were three Academy “dispatchers” that coordinated ship assignments. From what I understand, the ones back then on the east and Gulf coasts were sticklers for procedure, even going so far as to make sure that each cadet was appropriately attired, Sea Project up to date, etc. I know that the guy on the West Coast was not. Never even met him. Just called him when I got discharged and asked about my next ship.

I’ve been having a run of good luck with Kings Point cadets as of late. The last deck cadet I had was really impressive with his level of maturity for his age. Seemed like a 20% success rate for the longest time (as in; 1 in 5 interested in shipping). None of which excuses this shirt. You definitely won’t be bucking the stereotype sporting this gem.

I would have asked the guy if I could have his shirt, I am always in need of a rag to wash my truck with.

[QUOTE=cmakin;184930]Wearing this T-shirt. . .

[/QUOTE]

because I hate to assume anything, but am often surprised by the stupidity of reality…

Somebody please tell me this a great joke, or CONFIRM they have actually seen this shirt being worn by cadets or know that it is in fact being sold on campus at KP.

It is an auto-generated picture of a shirt which is filled with graphics based on whatever school you attended, which is gleaned by facebook/google bots and presented to you via social media in an attempt to get you to buy. The same shirt with different school name (my high school) pops up on my facebook feed.

While I have never seen a shirt like this one, I would swear that I have seen that some statement on something that was worn by a KP’r that came on one of my vessels. Needless to say after he was taken aside and “Talked to” by the Captain, he did not wear it onboard anymore.

Marriage to a needle gun…

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;185095]It is an auto-generated picture of a shirt which is filled with graphics based on whatever school you attended, which is gleaned by facebook/google bots and presented to you via social media in an attempt to get you to buy. The same shirt with different school name (my high school) pops up on my facebook feed.[/QUOTE]

I see these shirts all the time on my FB feed, with different themes, and some of them are quite wordy. I wonder who buys them?

[QUOTE=catherder;185139]I see these shirts all the time on my FB feed, with different themes, and some of them are quite wordy. I wonder who buys them?[/QUOTE]

My favorite one that popped up on my feed:
Through my blood sweat and tears I have earned the title: TIRE TECHNICIAN!

For some reason, I think my father would absolutely bust out laughing if I got him this shirt… I think I’m gonna do it…