Everyday life and routines in Cal

Hi
I´m thinking about taking a part in my schools exchange-studentprogram and CMA looks really interesting but when I read the school web-sites a few questions came into my mind. Mostly about everyday life and routine, rules looks really strict you have uniforms, ranks and all. So is it like going to Military once again with discipline, physicalchallenges, right way of speaking and other things or is it like normal school-life with uniforms?
I would really appreciate if someone could tell little about normal day and also little about good and bad sides of the school overall.

-MikeTm-

There’s formation a couple times a week, with a basic uniform and grooming inspection. No room inspections or “physical challenges”. Uniform is required when on campus during normal working hours. There conduct regulations and extra duty is givin out for failed inspections and what not, but its nothing drastic. As an exchange student, you may not be required to wear the uniform, but not too sure about that.

Of all the maritime academies, none is more slack than Cal Maritime. We pride ourselves on being “casual maritime” yet still fiurnishing the industry with top notch mariners in touch with today’s changing maritime work environment.

In the past exchange students don’t have to wear uniforms and don’t have to attend formation, although they’re encouraged to do so. There’s been a change in regime since our last exchange students were around two years ago so that may have changed. The school itself is pretty mellow. As Durnan said we’re pretty casual but at the same time we’re here for business. There’s not much to do in the immediate area but if you make some friends with cars there’s Cal Berkley twenty minutes to the south or you can take the ferry into San Francisco, both are a lot of fun.

[QUOTE=3eng;26040]There’s formation a couple times a week, with a basic uniform and grooming inspection. No room inspections or “physical challenges”. Uniform is required when on campus during normal working hours. There conduct regulations and extra duty is givin out for failed inspections and what not, but its nothing drastic. As an exchange student, you may not be required to wear the uniform, but not too sure about that.[/QUOTE]

Formation a couple of times a week? No room inspections? Sounds like things have gone downhill since my day (or uphill, depending on your point of view :wink: )

Good ol Casual Maritime. They are way more laxed than the other academies, except for maybe great lakes, idk. I remember when formation was first thing in the morning, then they moved it to 1145 am so more people could attend…lol. We used to carry shavers in our backpacks on Monday incase they did an inspection, which was usually on Wednesday. Yep good times CMA

Casual Maritime, You can come out, just as immature as you went in.

I know this thread is old, but ill update everyone… Some stuff has changed. Getting off campus for people has become increasingly difficult. I am 29 and had little difficulty, but have friends who experienced issues, even when they qualified by age. Debbie Fisher is still there, even though many resent her. 3 formations a week, Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Random inspections. Transferring from an academy to CMA can be difficult, with the pre-reqs and all. Staying on track is of upmost importance. Do not expect to obtain wavers from Capt pecota(deck side admin). He just doesn’t sign them. Exchange students do have to wear the uniform, but you may wear your academy’s uniform. Room inspections are sparse, and not very intense. Dry campus of course. Freshmen are required to live in the ship for one semester. I actually enjoyed it. They built a new dorm at the very top of the campus next to bodner field. We call it Super Rez. The stairs suck, but the dorms are nice. Mess deck has improved since the early 2000s I guess, bigots nothing to write home about. There is a new dean of students. Josie unfortunately has moved on. There are mixed feelings about the ships captain… What else…drug testing of course, and the bookstore is a complete rip off. Any questions?

What do you think about this review is it accurate? Is it in a really dangerous/ghetto area? Is it a ‘good school’ or does it have a bad reputation? What are some of the best and worst things about CMA and do you think going was worth it? How is the social life, is it hard to get laid or find a party thats not a sausage fest or find people down to party and go to the city?

It’s in a ghetto, but Benicia is 10min away that’s where I lived when I went it’s a great city. I had a good time you are 30min from SF, Sonoma, Oakland, 45min to Sacramento so there is plenty to do.

During the summer how much time did you get to spend off the ship at the ports the golden bear went to?

Your priorities are fucked. Either you want to ship out or you want to go to a normal college where you can party and get laid. You can have both by wasting 4 years and a shit load of money at a normal college first, but if you did that someone should smack you.

Oh, and the degree is basically worthless. You go to an academy for the license, not the degree. It might help when you eventually decide you want to work on land but until then it is meaningless.

Ah every port stay is different you usually get 1 1/2 days free time off in port. 1 liberty day off at 0730 back by midnight for freshman I think. Than you have a watch day and a day work day which is usually only till noon than you are set loose. Cruise is 60 days than you have the rest of summer off so 70+/- off

Southbay,

Understand that the entire maritime industry is a sausage-fest. School and the sea beyond is almost entirely dudes.

Kings Point … Where the men are men and the women are too.

Sounds like your not fit for the industry. Go to Chico. CMA is not for you if your looking to go to school to find pussy and parties. CMA will eat you alive.

So true. Never understood why people would go to CMA then bitch about uniforms and sausage parties.