Working in Nigeria

I worked there in the 90’s out of Escravos & Warri. I will NEVER go there again! What PDCMATE said & then some. ABSOLUTELY the WORSE place I ever worked.
I was held up at Murtila Muhammad airport for Christmas one year by 3 different government officials. We were robbed half a dozen times, while on the boat. Went through a riot during the elections, we had our van beat on as we were trying to get to the Sheraton. Which the Sheraton was a gated hotel with security. Way better than the Eco-Meridian on Victoria Island. If I were you I WOULD NOT GO!

[QUOTE=The Rover;89287]I worked there in the 90’s out of Escravos & Warri. I will NEVER go there again! What PDCMATE said & then some. ABSOLUTELY the WORSE place I ever worked.
I was held up at Murtila Muhammad airport for Christmas one year by 3 different government officials. We were robbed half a dozen times, while on the boat. Went through a riot during the elections, we had our van beat on as we were trying to get to the Sheraton. Which the Sheraton was a gated hotel with security. Way better than the Eco-Meridian on Victoria Island. If I were you I WOULD NOT GO![/QUOTE]

Exactly! Also, the strikes, governement, client, airports, helicopter strikes, you name it, everyone over there just goes on strike, hopefully it stays non-violent if it is on your vessel. Already in a year and a half we have had two strikes onboard the rig with our nigerian work group, and lucky for us it stayed non-violent, but it can escalate at any time and go real bad for expats onboard. They block the helideck and won’t allow helicopters, they make spears and weapons with what they can find, they put danger tape on and dance around.

[QUOTE=The Rover;89287]I worked there in the 90’s out of Escravos & Warri. I will NEVER go there again! What PDCMATE said & then some. ABSOLUTELY the WORSE place I ever worked.
I was held up at Murtila Muhammad airport for Christmas one year by 3 different government officials. We were robbed half a dozen times, while on the boat. Went through a riot during the elections, we had our van beat on as we were trying to get to the Sheraton. Which the Sheraton was a gated hotel with security. Way better than the Eco-Meridian on Victoria Island. If I were you I WOULD NOT GO![/QUOTE]

I stayed at the Eko when I was there. One of the nastiest rooms that I ever stayed in. Surprisingly, the restaurants weren’t too bad. I had a real problem getting my laundry done, but spent a couple of hours and spread a little cash so I had some clean clothes to wear on my way home. If I could have stayed on Snake Island, I would have.

With that Islamic fundamentalist group Boku Harum, Harum Boku or whatever they call themselves (I could think of better names) increasing their attacks and all the negative I’ve heard. I think I’m gonna pass and wait out my chances for the Gulf, or basically anywhere other than Africa. I’m not keen on the idea of being beheaded on video. Thanks everyone for all the info.

A proof of Nigeria Lagos beauty … plenty of tourists ! :smiley:

A view from my room at the Eko Hotel and Suites. Notice the quaint fishing village on the beach with the raw sewage draining into the lagoon.

P5060005 by cmakin, on Flickr

And Nigerians are lucky … there’s oil all over the place !!! :o

I have spent the last 5 years off the coast of West Africa and the most of it in Nigeria. It is a shit hole. One of the posts above was quite on the mark, mostly. You will be working out of Onne for sure. Each morning and evening you will have to join the convoy of other vessels and security boats to get you into and out of the river past Bonny island. Have to be at the fairway buoy by 0600 otherwise you can’t join and have to go back out to sea and join again next morning. Leaving port is simpler because inside everyone is usually prepared and waiting for the departure convoy at Onne.

We have been hijacked a couple of times in the last 2 years, different boats and barges. Those taken hostage were released un harmed in approx 10 days. Usually they look after you quite good but it does depend on what company you work for and how much repoirt the company has with the hijackers. Believe it or not it is the case. One of our construction barges got hit earlier this year and shot up quite bad. 4 crew taken hostage but unharmed, but 4 Navy security guys killed. They are the ones informing shore side bandits of your movements.

The oil companies have a set of call sign codes changed each week amongst all the vessels which has some effect in reducing hijacking but don’t be blinded because we all know that the HJ’ers have our positions all the time. The 33 was anchored out about 50 nm but was still done in at midnight so if they want to get you they will. Solace is in the fact that we white eys are 95% safe if caught.

If you are hijacked, SUBMIT. I couldn’t express this enough. Give them what they want and don’t be a hero because you will get hurt.
Most problems start because the companies do not have enough good quality security measures on board. No proper 24 hr security watches with good radar and sufficient crew at night up and on watch will bring you doom.

All in all my friend, if you want to work in Nigeria, I say go if you can handle the problems, but you have to negotiate a good salary with the company for so called danger money. Will I go back? Yes soon. Good luck.

Check out the Nigerian website oyibosonline.com for security updates daily for the expat community living and working in Nigeria. A good source of security and general news daily.

Been there, done that, going back. You can have Fourchon I would 10 to 1 rather work Nigeria. I have worked Calabar, Onne, Aker Base, Brass, Warri,and Escravos.

Yea Chris, but you have a death wish. And love the Chicken! LOL.

Good luck over there bro.

Surprised that no one has mentioned the necessity to become a part of selling fuel off the boat and if you don’t your safety is even more at stake.

[QUOTE=CaptKrunch;91598]Surprised that no one has mentioned the necessity to become a part of selling fuel off the boat and if you don’t your safety is even more at stake.[/QUOTE]

Last year we had one of our OSVs taken, from my understanding it had to do with selling of fuel illegally and certain crew members where kidnapped for a couple of weeks.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;91601]Last year we had one of our OSVs taken, from my understanding it had to do with selling of fuel illegally and certain crew members where kidnapped for a couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]

personally, I have heard stories of “shaving” the fuel and guys going home with some nice non taxable jingle in their pockets as a result. Seems like it is common practice and no one makes any noise about it. Must be some VERY wealthy Nigerians! Maybe even as wealthy as the Guidy’s!

Yeah, I’ getting ready to head to a crewboat in Ghana, anybody been to Ghana?

I just missed out on the opportunity by being offshore without cell service and missing the call. The HR guy filled the position 2 days before I could call. :frowning:

Ghana is a nice place to work if you do get ashore. Nothing like Nigeria, but then neither is any other West African country.
People are ok.

[QUOTE=c.captain;91607]personally, I have heard stories of “shaving” the fuel and guys going home with some nice non taxable jingle in their pockets as a result. Seems like it is common practice and no one makes any noise about it. Must be some VERY wealthy Nigerians! Maybe even as wealthy as the Guidy’s![/QUOTE]

Fuel selling is a problem in many countries like India, Vietnam, Thailand and ALL the West African countries. There are a shit load of very wealthy whities as well! Bad business that, and one that gets people hurt if they refuse to take part.
Sounds like a good topic for a thread.

[QUOTE=hydroid;91618]Yeah, I’ getting ready to head to a crewboat in Ghana, anybody been to Ghana?[/QUOTE]

Ghana is a great place. Spent time there, working out of Takoradi and Sekondi.

I’m so sick of the Northeast U.S. that I’d jump at any overseas gig.

[QUOTE=water;91635]Ghana is a great place. Spent time there, working out of Takoradi and Sekondi.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?