Lagos Nigeria

Leaving soon, Has anybody been there lately? Do’s and Don’ts would be helpful.

I haven’t been there in years, but I recall most of the locals always being on the hustle, “What do have for me” being the common conversation starter. Any time I work overseas, especially in a dodgey area, I register the trip with the US State Department, and get the address and phone numbers for the nearest embassy or consulate.

Please let us know how things are these days, and good luck over there.

I was over there a couple of years ago. I would be very careful venturing out on your own. If you have company drivers and company quarters, I would certainly pay attention to what they say and recommend. Make sure that your shot card, including yellow fever is up to date. There may be a bit of unrest with the result of the recent presidential election. Like anything or anywhere else, common sense prevails. If you end up in Port Harcourt, be doubly careful. I know of some captains that have “gone native” and I am not sure that is a good thing these days. . . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;48810]I was over there a couple of years ago. I would be very careful venturing out on your own. If you have company drivers and company quarters, I would certainly pay attention to what they say and recommend. Make sure that your shot card, including yellow fever is up to date. There may be a bit of unrest with the result of the recent presidential election. Like anything or anywhere else, common sense prevails. If you end up in Port Harcourt, be doubly careful. I know of some captains that have “gone native” and I am not sure that is a good thing these days. . . .[/QUOTE]

It’s been many years since I’ve worked there but I’m sure things havn’t changed for the better. 30 years ago, when being “stamped out” at the airport, if a $20 bill was not folded in your passport, your papers would “not be in order” and risk missing your flight. My last trip out cost $30 worth of CFAs. The wad of bills was so large, the offical couldn’t fit it in his shirt pocket.

All good points to consider. I know what you mean about all the unrest since the Election. I think Obama will be a one term President.

Good Luck…fair Wind’s & following Sea’s.

:cool:captblighe:cool:

Thanks, it’s a small crew but I have you in mind if an opening becomes available.

Roger that…out

Just got back and heading back mid May. I’m not stationed there just doing transit jobs. The 5 days there sounds just like what is posted above. I work the deck and didn’t have to deal with all the wheelhouse stuff but just listening it didn’t sound great.

Heed what was posted from listening to the crew that flew in. STAY with your guards and don’t venture out of the compond to much. EVERYBODY wants paid off. Best I can tell you is just roll with the flow, find out how things work and roll with it. It is not like working in the GOM.

Go with an open mind and things will be fine.