I want to join MSC

I’ve been to the website and my name is in their system. I am waiting for my application package. I will start as an OS. All I have is a MMC and a TWIC card.

I heard jobs will be opening in October. Any one have any advice?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=Gerald Perry;48866]I’ve been to the website and my name is in their system. I am waiting for my application package. I will start as an OS. All I have is a MMC and a TWIC card.

I heard jobs will be opening in October. Any one have any advice?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Stay motivated, they will get to ur name eventually. Do every job they ask with a smile, because in most cases, they have done the same job themselves. Don’t detach and withdraw when gone for long periods. I still have problems with that one. Stay involved while u r underway.

It can be a career but it is more than likely a stepping stone to something else like most government jobs.

Thanks for the response! I will stay motivated and I’m looking foreward to getting on a ship. I have a couple of friends who are in and they are very happy. One is an OS and the other is working on third mate. They are very happy! With technology these days its easier to stay in touch with family.

Thanks BMCSRetired

Hey there,

I applied last October for the OS advancement program. I was working jackups in the Gulf for like the worst offshore company in existance (anybody know who I’m talking about?). I got so fed up that I had to apply and I made sure in my application that the KSAs were so good that no one could pass it up. I got the offer of employment in February, it took three months to go through the security clearances, medical, and all the other pre-employ stuff. On Easter Sunday I’m flying out to Norfolk to do orientation. It can be a bit of a process, don’t get discouraged. If at all possible, keep your present job until you’re ready to go. When you apply, gloss up your KSAs and make em look bitchin. Apply for OSAP, it’s really your best option to break into deep-sea sailing. You can make AB Limited in a couple years and get RFPNW, Lifeboat, watches and everything you need. Like stated above, it’s a stepping stone.

Highball!

[QUOTE=Highball;48876]Hey there,

I applied last October for the OS advancement program. I was working jackups in the Gulf for like the worst offshore company in existance (anybody know who I’m talking about?). I got so fed up that I had to apply and I made sure in my application that the KSAs were so good that no one could pass it up. I got the offer of employment in February, it took three months to go through the security clearances, medical, and all the other pre-employ stuff. On Easter Sunday I’m flying out to Norfolk to do orientation. It can be a bit of a process, don’t get discouraged. If at all possible, keep your present job until you’re ready to go. When you apply, gloss up your KSAs and make em look bitchin. Apply for OSAP, it’s really your best option to break into deep-sea sailing. You can make AB Limited in a couple years and get RFPNW, Lifeboat, watches and everything you need. Like stated above, it’s a stepping stone.

Highball![/QUOTE]

Highball,

I have some friends who got in with no experience on the water at all. I am a small boat captain (100 ton master license) and I have been doing this for 16 years. I have a ton of questions-that’s why I’m happy to have found this website. I will continue to try in spite of hell and high water but I want to join.

Thanks!

MSC is what you make of it. Like every other company, it has its good and bad - its not for everybody, but, if you can put up with the bad - the good is very good! Its been a rewarding career (I’ve been with them for over 30 years) with fast upward mobility for those who apply themselves!
the best of the good is that the job starts at last line - you’re not a bus driver sailing from point (a) to (b) with pilots taking you in and out of port, longshoremen loading and unloading you - you can work underway replenishment, towing and salvage, cable layers, research ships, etc. The worst of the bad is the inability to relieve people on time and I can say that MSC is working hard to fix this, but for alot of reasons, the fix remains out of their grasp. Several times in my career, I’ve questioned the wisdom of my decision to remain with MSC and every time, after seeing what its like on the other side of the fence, I conclude the grass is no greener over there. It’s just a different pasture.

Thanks for all the input! I am looking foreward to the experience. I hope I can get in.

Gerald Perry