Thinking about becoming a mariner

I did 5 years in the navy and really miss being underway. I recently lost a job that was barely making ends meetand now have one that pays even less. Initially when I got out the navy I looked into the merchant marines but went another direction. Now im thinking about it again but would really love to talk to anybody who has experience in it. Im going to talk to the va and coast guard soon about it as well but the info they give me wont be what a person who has been in can. Id really like to know about the life style.

Admittedly I dont know enough yet to even ask proper questions but I will be reading over posts in the forum to gather info. Any direct links would also be nice.

Would yall recommend this type of job to support a family or are there stretches of time where your without a boat to work? Also is getting licenced worth it and whats the difference? Any information or direction to look or references to read are greatly appreciated.

Yes it is worth it! There are plenty of options out there, but if it is supporting family the quickest way to move up is go with MSC. They are hiring and love the prior service plus your navy time can be applied for retirement benefits. Simple web search for MSC and all the info is right there. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

Son, yer going to need a Z-card.

[QUOTE=RichM;141517]Son, yer going to need a Z-card.[/QUOTE]

Z cards have no existed for a rather long time now. He needs a TWIC to start. You have to apply for a TWIC before you can apply for an MMC.

Son, you gotta get a TWIC card, then a Z-card.

Son, first I suggest you first stop giving bogus advice.

[QUOTE=sleek;141319]I did 5 years in the navy and really miss being underway. I recently lost a job that was barely making ends meetand now have one that pays even less. Initially when I got out the navy I looked into the merchant marines but went another direction. Now im thinking about it again but would really love to talk to anybody who has experience in it. Im going to talk to the va and coast guard soon about it as well but the info they give me wont be what a person who has been in can. Id really like to know about the life style.

Admittedly I dont know enough yet to even ask proper questions but I will be reading over posts in the forum to gather info. Any direct links would also be nice.

Would yall recommend this type of job to support a family or are there stretches of time where your without a boat to work? Also is getting licenced worth it and whats the difference? Any information or direction to look or references to read are greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
I’ve done what you are trying to do by going from Navy to Merchant Marine. First bit is try to get a license. Unlicensed guys have a really hard time moving up let alone starting out and hawsiepiping is getting harder and harder. The easiest way to get a license is to go through an academy and while that is a major financial strain, you pretty much guaranteed employment on graduation. Can your wife make enough to support you through the academy? That’s how I got through along with GI benefits. Licensed guys in the right place at the right time can move up to captain in 5 years, sometimes less. The pay as a captain is much better than unlicensed mariners and if you want to support a family, I highly recommend that route.

The lifestyle on the boat is a bit different than the Navy because there is far less people and there are far less drills. Some guys are going to give you are hard time, but then if you understand the way things are, you’ll figure out how to handle yourself. One thing is you’ll sleep a lot more. I lost count of the number of times I was up for more than 50 hours in the Navy and I can’t remember ever having to stay awake that long on the commercial side of things. I work around 12-14 hours a day between watch standing and paperwork so I’m not getting 8 hours rest a day, more like 3-4 hour catnaps here and there. I like it. It’s fairly low stress and I like being off work for half the year.

Good luck.

[QUOTE=z-drive;141527]Son, first I suggest you first stop giving bogus advice.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs&index=2&list=RDC6cxNR9ML8k

Guys I appreciate the replies and insight. If this job im applying for does not work out then I will pursue this carrer field with enthusiasm. What academy would be a good one for engineering? I think thats the direction id like to steer. In the meantime I dont see a reason to hold off on getting my twic card. I guess the coast guard would be my first stop?

Ahoy there, Sleek. I did it too. but I did it a bit differently. I did 20 years and 19 days in the Uncle Sam’s Nasty Association of Vagrant Youths before growing up and working on Tugs.

I don’t know what your rate was, it could help, but won’t hinder you. Even if you were a Tidget, skivey waiver, stew burner, pecker checker or any of the ratings that don’t normally stand a watch in the wheelhouse or engine room. We hire, period. Of course, if you were a Bos’n Mate, Quarterguesser, or any type of snipe: you would have a leg up on the competition. Officers tell a different tale.

Concerning the Academies… If you got out with that fancy new G.I. Bill came out under G.W. Bush’s tour in the White House, it’s a safe bet, but you can get going farther and faster by going to the trade schools like Mid Atlantic Maritime Academy in Norfolk, VA and several other ports.

If you liked being underway for long periods of time, the MSC may be a good choice. I prefer to go out for shorter periods and rotate on a fairly regular basis, stay closer to home and transportation to get anywhere fast, should an emergency arise.

First start for you would be to request a Sea Service Transcript from the Navy. You need to do that last year, because the people you will be dealing with have no incentive to use time efficiently or help a sailor out. So do it now.

Find your DD-214 page four long form. That is what will qualify you for all the benefits you have earned serving Uncle Sam, for us. Without it, you are NOTHING!

If you haven’t already done it, go to Military.com, become a member and do some research there about your benefits. Most all of the people there are Vets and the guy that started it a former Navy Pilot. They routinely sponsor Job Fairs across the country, are a treasure trove for networking and practical advice.

Back to the Licensing. Licensing requires Sea Time, the only way to get it is working on the water. The Academies will get you some of it, but you won’t be able to walk out of an academy and immediately work with a license as they did in the past.

Anyhow, good luck with it. And thanks for your service.

BMC(SW) (ret.)

By the way, a bad day underway beats the hell out of a good day in a factory.