Where's all the work people are talking about?

I know I’m green as they come but I’m trying bust into the gulf as a deckhand on a crew or supply boat. I’ve spent all day using the search function and found alot of information about how to put rubber to concrete in the bayou. I am a waste water plant mechanic on the gulf coast now with only some commercial fishing experience. I’m hitting the old catch 22 of "no offshore experience. I do have family that work for a smaller crew/supply boat co. So I’ve been over there twice this week. I have blanketed the smaller companies with applications and hope to go knock on doors next week in the bayou. My question to all of you is how did you get started? Is it worth using an “headhunter” ? I am determined to do what ever it takes to get in the gulf. I hear about all the steel coming in and all the new permits. How do ya’ll impress the HR guys? All I have to offer is determination and Mechanical common sense. I want to work up to an Engineer’s credential. Thanks in advance fellas.

Chris

Flinching at the soon to come unavoidable barrage to come.

First…NO FUCKING HEADHUNTERS!

Second…have you applied for your entry level (OS, wiper, food handler) MMCyet? If you haven’t then don’t come back here until you have!

Yes on Entry level OS MMD and have my TWIC in hand . I figured I would catch hell posting but, nothing ventured nothing gained. Barage cant be much worse than a bunch of sewer plant guys I’ve worked around my whole life.

Well I guess if you are already in the shit house you pretty much got no where to go but up.

[QUOTE=VABOY;84145]Yes on Entry level OS MMD and have my TWIC in hand . I figured I would catch hell posting but, nothing ventured nothing gained. Barage cant be much worse than a bunch of sewer plant guys I’ve worked around my whole life.[/QUOTE]

ok…glad we’ve got that cleared up. Now you need to get in a car and drive to Morgan City, Houma, Galliano, Lockport, LaRose, Galliano and Golden Meadow. Take all the gear you need to go right offshore immediately. Do not turn down any offer to work if this is what you want to do. If you can’t leave your present job first, then you are in a world of hurt because entry level jobs don’t get held to be filled. You are needed today!

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;84146]Well I guess if you are already in the shit house you pretty much got no where to go but up.[/QUOTE]

That might help on a resume “experienced Shit Tank Diver”, “Turd Master”, “MSD Impresario”…I could go on all night with this one!

Vaboy - Sounds like you are doing all the right things so far. Getting your paperwork in order, and using the search function on this site.

C.captain is absolutely right about having your bags packed and being in the right place at the right time when HR is looking for a warm body. It may take some persistence, and may take a few weeks. Once you get to know where the companies are, you will likely be repeating your route every few days. The HR people will get to know who you are, and your cell phone may well go off while you are filling out an app at a different company. Been there, done that.

Good luck with your search. Sounds like you could work your way into an unlicensed engineer position on a crewboat.

Yes, is sounds like things may have tightened up a bit over the past few months in the oil patch, but there is still the normal turnover that you may be able to take advantage of.

C capt , careful " I know my shit" . :wink:

[QUOTE=VABOY;84151]C capt , careful " I know my shit" . ;)[/QUOTE]

One thing with what you do that you don’t want is to have to take your job home with you at night!

[QUOTE=c.captain;84157]One thing with what you do that you don’t want is to have to take your job home with you at night![/QUOTE]

Your definitely right about that,but a kernel of corn has been known to make it’s way home trapped on the bottom of my boot

I call bullshit on that one

These guys are telling you the truth. Even if you don’t get hired on the day you submit your application don’t be discouraged. Most entry level OS guys get hired when someone just doesn’t show up, or flunks a pee pee exam. So keep that bag packed and your phone with you. When they call be ready to go because if you aren’t the next application gets called.

I keep seeing new hire entry level OS and Wipers at our office, no TWIC, no STCW, nothing. There is work out there. Worst case goto NOAA for 6 months and get your first endorsement, then come back. NOAA is always hiring.

I got started on commercial fishing boats and party boats, that time counts too. If you have some of that kind of work where you’re located, it might be easier to get a first job that way. How much time do you already have commercial fishing?

[QUOTE=water;84150]

C.captain is absolutely right about having your bags packed [/QUOTE]

What’s a good packing list for first time OS/Deckhands (specifically on a tug)?

do have family that work for a smaller crew/supply boat co

This!
Have your family hammer the personnel manager about hiring you.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;84176]This!
Have your family hammer the personnel manager about hiring you.[/QUOTE]

They are, But I’m not putting all my eggs in one basket. One uncle is a senior capt with the company, he walked in as I was walking out. I think a box of fresh bakery sweets for the HR people next when I check in with them is in order.

You’re doing all that you can do.

There’s no secret to finding a job offshore. Just countless days spent repeatedly knocking on the same doors.

Summer is over so things are going to slow down, but people are constantly quieting, being fired, moving on to the next company. So all you can do is get lucky and be the guy standing in front of the personal manager when he needs someone. That’s all, sorry no crystal ball.

Just curious…How come some turds are albino and neutrally buoyant?