Where do you get DPO training?

:confused:I have a Master 1600 ton Lic. oceans w/ Master towing GL,WR,O w/GMDSS, hazwoper, PIC, and the rest. I’ve been looking for work for a year and it seems the employers are looking for DPO on your list of credits. Where does one get the training and what does it cost. I don’t think anyone in the Pacific Northwest has it.:confused:

[QUOTE=Boatahaulic;37078]:confused:I have a Master 1600 ton Lic. oceans w/ Master towing GL,WR,O w/GMDSS, hazwoper, PIC, and the rest. I’ve been looking for work for a year and it seems the employers are looking for DPO on your list of credits. Where does one get the training and what does it cost. I don’t think anyone in the Pacific Northwest has it.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Been looking for the cheapest class. Kongsberg, Houston was the second cheapest so far.
It was a little more than 2k/4~5days induction course last year when I asked…

If anybody has more info, please let us know.

The Course Coordinator
Kongsberg Maritime Inc.
7225 Langtry Street
Houston, TX 77040-6625 - USA
Tel.: +1 713 934 8885
Fax.: +1 713 934 8886
e-mail: km.training.houston@kongsberg.com

http://www.km.kongsberg.com/

if your pockets are deep the facility in Houston may be glad to take your money…becoming a DPO may be more involved than putting money down and going to school as some OTJT maybe required??

http://www.nautinst.org/DP/pdf/DP_OperatorCertificateJan2010.pdf

http://www.nautinst.org/

Seadawg, my pockets are not deep after being out of work for a year. I’m sure OTJT is a must, in a perfect world I could get a job and the company would put me thru the school and the paces. I will check out nautinst. B.

Your best bet right now is to head to the GOM and see about getting on with a company running smaller boats I.E. under 100 tons. After a few months talk to them about DP training and a spot on a DP boat.

Unfortunately I don’t know of anybody hiring, your just going to have to go down with your bags packed and hope they need somebody right that moment.

A few companies with small boats under a 100 tons with DP.
Abdon Callies
Bordelon
Gulf Offshore Logistics
Graham Gulf
Berry Graham Offshore
Seacor
Chouest
Gulf Fleet

A few of those companies have both large and small boats, and with the moratorium the chances of them stacking the big boats and putting those captains on the smaller boats is a real possibility.

Good luck.

If it was me, and I had no job at all, even though I had a license, but needed DP - I would go to Chouest and try to get on as an AB. I don’t think that would be a problem at all. They will snap someone like that up. Hopefully management does not have a hiring freeze right now, HR hands would be tied. But, the day you get hired, you can sign-up for Basic DP, free of charge, and start working toward that goal while making a little money.

For DPO Training try Beier Radio in Belle Chase, La. You can contact Maurice at 504-341-0123. Tell him Capn Krunch recommended you. They are certified by the Nautical Instiute.