DP induction course

I have a 2/m unlimited, I want to get my foot into DP jobs. Is it worth it to bite the bullet and pay for the induction class on my own?

Its probably not really worth paying for it yourself. You’re going to need a company to put you on their ships to get the sea time in to get the DP ticket, so what ever company will put you on their ships will most likely pay for your training.

But whether having the DP introduction when applying for jobs makes a difference I really don’t know. I got a job working as second officer on a DP-2 PSV’s without having the introduction course.

I just went to the Kongsberg basic course on my own. there were three other guys who were doing the same thing. I’m hoping it makes me look more marketable to a drillship company. No garauntees. Just rollin the dice.

How much does the DP Basic Operator Course cost in the USA?

At my nearest training centre it costs £1250 = $1,978.94 (at current exchange rate)

http://www.km.kongsberg.com/ks/web/nokbg0397.nsf/AllWeb/CC1662C97DA10539C1257810004E1A16/$file/Price-List-2012.pdf?OpenElement

$2500 kongsberg Houston
$1950 L3 Houston

[QUOTE=follow40;63436]How much does the DP Basic Operator Course cost in the USA?

At my nearest training centre it costs £1250 = $1,978.94 (at current exchange rate)

http://www.km.kongsberg.com/ks/web/nokbg0397.nsf/AllWeb/CC1662C97DA10539C1257810004E1A16/$file/Price-List-2012.pdf?OpenElement[/QUOTE]

That’s what I thought but its $ 2,500. I took it last May and was a little shocked when I went to pay upon arrival at Kongsberg, at least they buy you lunch everyday. Looking back at how basic that class is, I would do it at the cheapest place possibly then whoever you go to work for do the advanced on same type of equipment they use.

Check out Beier Radio.

[QUOTE=crazyelbowbob;63438]$2500 kongsberg Houston
$1950 L3 Houston[/QUOTE]

Please advise contact info of L3 if possible.

L3 has an email address on their website however they aren’t currently running classes

It is!!! And if you call Beier Radio in bell chase they will work with you in the price.

Isn’t Houston Marine in Kenner running DP training courses now? They might be a lower cost alternative.

Last I heard they wanted 3k per class! Beier charges about 2,500 unless you are paying out of pocket. Then they charge about $1,200.

L3 not operative for the moment.

L3 ran courses starting on the 27th of Feb

Taking the class at Beier Radio next month. I was quoted at $1,800 for out of pocket.

Anything you can do to get your resume noticed just a little more than the next guy will help your chances. These recruiters and marine managers are getting overwhelmed with resumes, and pretty much passing most of them to the bin that dont have any experience or some sort of qualifications (DP or Offshore). I have a good friend in the Transocean office, who goes through marine applications, and he says he has gotten 100’s of resumes from mariners with only shipping experience, and sad to say he just places them in the decline bin. They are still looking for people with the experience in offshore, it will be harder and harder to find, but, if you have something more than the next guy, it can only help.

[QUOTE=nwitherly77;65959]Taking the class at Beier Radio next month. I was quoted at $1,800 for out of pocket.[/QUOTE]

I took the training at Bier Radio… what a joke. Cheap for a reason. The instructor spent more time talking about places to eat in the area that actually teaching a class.

Your best bet is to get a job on a vessel that has DP but doesn’t “require” DPO’s, like Chouest or maybe HOS. They will pay for your classes, while you earn your DP seatime. Otherwise it is just a waste of your own money. I have a 2/M license and am just a few months short of a DP Unlimited. But most companies, who will go unnamed, claim I can’t be re-hired as a JDPO, unless I have an Unlimited DP Certificate. That’s just total Shite. We’re do they think the DP’s are going to come from, or get their qualifiing time? It’s really just a cover-up for them to say there are no “qualified”(actually there currently are no requirements–at least USCG–for DP licensing) U.S. people to fill the GOM jobs, ergo they start hiring foreigners for US jobs. If you don’t believe me, consider the following ad, which pretty much typifies those openings in the GOM. Also, notice the last line, in the “requirements” section; a Passport. Now why would a US mariner need a Passport to work in the GOM. This is the way it is in all these ads–sometimes it even blatantly states the need to have a Work Visa. Again, I’m not sure were they think the next generation of DP Operators are going to come from, unless some of these companies, doing business in the GOM, put up and start training DPO’s, rather than “requiring” sailors to have a non-required Certificate, to go to work.

***** ******* is currently recruiting for 1600T Captains. Applicants that do not hold a full DPO certifcation will not be considered.
Minimum Requirements:
USCG 1600T Captain
DPO Unlimited
S.T.C.W 95
T.W.I.C
GMDSS
ARPA
HUET
SafeGulf
US Passport

Lol great, I’m goin to Biar April 9th. Can’t wait…

[QUOTE=rollingstone;66006]Your best bet is to get a job on a vessel that has DP but doesn’t “require” DPO’s, like Chouest or maybe HOS. They will pay for your classes, while you earn your DP seatime. Otherwise it is just a waste of your own money. I have a 2/M license and am just a few months short of a DP Unlimited. But most companies, who will go unnamed, claim I can’t be re-hired as a JDPO, unless I have an Unlimited DP Certificate. That’s just total Shite. We’re do they think the DP’s are going to come from, or get their qualifiing time? It’s really just a cover-up for them to say there are no “qualified”(actually there currently are no requirements–at least USCG–for DP licensing) U.S. people to fill the GOM jobs, ergo they start hiring foreigners for US jobs. If you don’t believe me, consider the following ad, which pretty much typifies those openings in the GOM. Also, notice the last line, in the “requirements” section; a Passport. Now why would a US mariner need a Passport to work in the GOM. This is the way it is in all these ads–sometimes it even blatantly states the need to have a Work Visa. Again, I’m not sure were they think the next generation of DP Operators are going to come from, unless some of these companies, doing business in the GOM, put up and start training DPO’s, rather than “requiring” sailors to have a non-required Certificate, to go to work.

***** ******* is currently recruiting for 1600T Captains. Applicants that do not hold a full DPO certifcation will not be considered.
Minimum Requirements:
USCG 1600T Captain
DPO Unlimited
S.T.C.W 95
T.W.I.C
GMDSS
ARPA
HUET
SafeGulf
US Passport[/QUOTE]
The add specifically requires a 1600 ton USCG licence, so we can assume its for a US flagged OSV. What’s the issue?
Please post the name of the company.
Thank you.