New Online DP Basic/Induction course

PR from VideoTel.

Dynamic positioning (DP) is essential to an ever increasing number of maritime sectors. Today there are over 1,000 DP-capable vessels, and whilst the majority of them are operationally related to the exploration or exploitation of oil and gas reserves, DP is a technique used extensively in many other fields, including diving, ROV operations, survey and marine construction all over the world.

In conjunction with C-MAR’s The Dynamic Positioning Centre, Videotel Marine International has developed a new Dynamic Positioning Basic Training Course which it is launching at this year’s European DP Conference in London, 24-25 May. Delegates are invited to visit The DP Centre’s stand to take a close up look at the course during live demonstrations, and obtain useful information on the structure and scope of its content.

The course is aligned with the Nautical Institute DP Basic/Induction course syllabus and covers all areas of DP, including system architecture and basic principles, together with modes of operation, operational procedures and risk considerations. It contains mixed media in the form of text, images, animations, video and audio and offers a stimulating and flexible approach to training. On completion of the course, which reduces the training time required at a C-MAR DP Centre, users intending to become DP Operators will have sufficient understanding of the principles and practice of DP to confidently undertake a programme of simulator exercises as the next step towards gaining a recognised DP qualification from the Nautical Institute. Users who are shore-based will have sufficient understanding of the principles and practice of dynamic positioning to make informed judgements about DP issues and situations they encounter in their day to day work.

[B]It is available as an online course and should take approximately six hours to complete.[/B]

Will this be as an alternative to the DP induction course to that you have to go to college for?

There isn’t a requirement of going to college
For any DP course…

Sent from my iPhone using gCaptain

[QUOTE=Skoidat69;70071]There isn’t a requirement of going to college
For any DP course…

Sent from my iPhone using gCaptain[/QUOTE]

Everyone I know thats done the DP intro has gone to “college” to do it… how else have they done it?? DP needs to be kept difficult and expensive to get into, otherwise were going to get people from other low wage countries overloading the market and causing a wage drop for those that want a decent days pay.

Merely taking a very short — four day — class at a private company that sells DP equipment, falls far short of “going to college.”

In the United States and Ireland, “college” and “university” are loosely interchangeable,[1] whereas in the UK, New Zealand, Australia, Canada and other Commonwealth nations, “college” may refer to a secondary or high school, a college of further education, a training institution that awards trade qualifications, or a constituent school within a university. - From Wikipedia

It appears that that you misunderstood my meaning of the word “college” for the American version. I meant the “Commonwealth” version of the word i.e. “training institution that awards trade qualifications”

I think the press release has errors in it

So are you from the part of Europe who’s ass we saved or who’s ass we kicked

Trust me, most people in the US and Europe would NOT consider spending four whole days in an introductory DP class at MPT, Kongsberg, or Beier Radio — to be “going to college.”

That’s why people were confused by use of the term “college.”

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

isnt college in the US that extra year all Americans do to catch up with the rest of the world before they go to University?
lets just call it classroom time

Hey I am confused here, please kindly explain if I need to go to like, Beier radio to get the DP Induction Course or not, if I take the Online course.

If you go to the nautical institute website its broken down for you.

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;79104]If you go to the nautical institute website its broken down for you.[/QUOTE]

Can’t find the online DP class, Apply DP online. Is that the one to fill up?

[QUOTE=powerabout;70101]isnt college in the US that extra year all Americans do to catch up with the rest of the world before they go to University?
lets just call it classroom time[/QUOTE]

That was kinda funny, as much as I hate to admit it.

When did they start letting euros on to gcaptain?

So after taking this online course what certification/endorsement will you receive? Or is it just an introduction just to gain knowledge?

The normal dp basic course is the first part of training to get your dp certificate. You need to be licensed in order to attend class at all.

I don’t know about the online class. I thought I heard that it’s only part of the normal basic course and that you still have to go to a classroom for a day or two, instead of five.

DYNAMIC POSITIONING BASIC TRAINING COURSE
Deck Junior Officer Deck Senior Officer
DYNAMIC POSITIONING BASIC TRAINING COURSE

Code No: 885

Guided Learning Hours: 8 hours

View Preview
Add to my list

Screenshot

The Dynamic Positioning Basic Training Course is an introductory level course which covers the basics of all areas of DP including:

DP system architecture
Basic Principles of DP
DP Modes of Operation
Operational Procedures
Risk Considerations

The course contains mixed media in the form of text, images, animations, video and audio.

Course outcomes

On completion of the course, users intending to become DP Operators will have sufficient understanding of the principles and practice of dynamic positioning to confidently undertake a programme of simulator exercises at a C-MAR DP Centre as the next step towards gaining a recognised DP qualification.

Users who are shore-based will have sufficient understanding of the principles and practice of dynamic positioning to make informed judgements about DP issues and situations they encounter in their day to day work.

Main modules:

Introduction to DP
DP systems
Thrusters and propellers
Power systems
UTM projection
DP sensors
Position reference systems
Using PRS data
PRS handling
DP modes
DP operating procedures
DP capabilities
DP operations
Risk considerations

Target users:

All those intending to become a DP Operator.
Shore-based management, consultant and technical personnel who need an understanding of DP

Course pre-requisites:

There are no pre-requisites for completing this course. If you intend to become a DP Operator, you will need to look at the Nautical Institute website in order to understand the full certification needed to become a DPO in due course. www.nautinst.org.

[B]Certification/approvals/accreditations:

The course is aligned with the Nautical Institute DP Basic/Induction course syllabus. In the wake of the 2012 Manila amendments to STCW, specifically encouraging remote learning, Videotel and The Dynamic Positioning Centre will be applying to the NI to accept this course as a theoretical alternative to the Basic/Induction course. If approved by The Nautical Institute, students will still have to attend The Dynamic Positioning Centre for the practical and assessment elements, but they should be able to reduce their attendance time considerably.
Produced in Association with:[/B]

CMAR Dynamic Positioning Centre

Can anyone recommend a good basic book about DP?

The Dynamic Positioning Operators Handbook by David Bray, FNI.