I am arranging a DP Intro Course - have 4 seats available

Hello forum.

MT Skier and I are in the process of arranging a DP Intro Course at the Kongsberg facility in Houston. I don’t have firm dates yet, but am trying to get a week in August.

“The 5 day DP Basic Operator course is the first phase of the Nautical Institute (NI) DP Operator Certification.
The course participants will be issued with the NI Dynamic Positioning Operator’s Log Book at the end of the Basic Operator Course.”

We need at least 2 others to run the course, but the price drops if we get 4 other students. Cost per student will be $1200 to $1400.

At this point, I would just like a show of hands of people interested in attending. And if you have a week that works best for you, please put that in your reply as well.

I am not looking for a firm commitment from anyone yet, I just need to show good faith that I can get at the minimum number of students required when I book the facility.

This is something I’ve wanted to do for some time, and it seems more and more like I’m not going to find an employer to pay for it. I’ll PM you for more details.

C_A,
I came to the conclusion that I just need to go do it. There are many jobs out there for people with as little as a year’s experience, next to none for entry level. At some point these companies won’t be able to poach from one and other as successfully and will have to begin training some folks. My feeling is that having the Intro class completed might make my resume filter to the top…Anyone else going to join us?
MTSKIER
Off to mow a roadside…:cool:

I’ve already had the courses but I only live about 1 1/2 hours from Houston and if I’m at home during your course I may be able to put up 1 or 2 students if that will help anyone out that may travel in from further away.

I am awaiting word from my employer about a position as a junior DPO on one of our vessels. If I get the positon I will need the class, and sometime
in August would be perfect, as I get off July 30th. I will let you know as soon as I hear, it should be in the next few days.

Thanks,
James

Sounds good James. I’m in discussions with Konsberg as we speak about what week in August would work.

I’ll post the dates on this thread and probably on the Jobs thread as well as soon as I get them.

As an aside, MT Skier has spoken with the HR folks from a couple of GOM operators and invited them to send employees as well. So, this might make a great networking opportunity for those of us that aren’t as lucky as Capt. Mac and don’t already have a Jr. DPO position with an organization.

Will there be any pre req’s for the course. I start a 28 day shift the first week in Aug. or I would be there

[QUOTE=skycowboy;15626]Will there be any pre req’s for the course. I start a 28 day shift the first week in Aug. or I would be there[/QUOTE]

Nope, only entry requirement, from the Konsberg DP Basic Operator training website:

Entry requirements
General knowledge of vessel maneuvering.

Well, it seems like we had a bit of a communication break-down with Kongsberg. After a few pleasant back and forth emails, I just received the following from their Training Coordinator:

[I]I steered you down the wrong road, I apologize. There is a DP Introduction course, which is 2-days. This is the one we have to schedule a group for.

Sounds like you need the Basic DP OP course (aka DP INDUCTION), this is a 5 day course.

The cost of the Basic DP Operator course is $2,300.00 USD. Payable by credit card or bank transfer, two weeks prior to class start date.

Classes are from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Thursday and 9:00 am to 1:00 pm Friday. We do provide lunch Monday through Thursday.[/I]

So, I canceled the specially arranged session, and unfortunately, I have to backtrack on what was clearly a too good to be true rate of $1400 per student.

Shoot me a PM if you would like a copy of Kongsberg’s Basic DP OP course schedule. I’m not sure yet when MT Skier and I are going, but we’ll throw it in this thread to see if anyone else wants to come whoop it up in Houston with us.

Cheers,
Jill