Deck officer - DP Operator?

Greetings Gentlemen,

First of all im extremly happy that i found this forumcause i got some good and usefull infos.
Im a second mate, sailing on tanker ships and on an italian port the loading master asked me : Why dont you go as a DP ? My question was : whatz that? Now i know … but i have no ideea how to start … and how to change tankers with supply/research vessel as a DP. I understood that i have to have the basic DP training course … so i contacted the Italian Maritime Academy ( they are on the Nautical Institute list as approved training center) and they gave me some informations.
Anyone knows if the Italian Academy itz ok for the DP Basic ? And if i graduate this training course,on my onw, do i have any chance to find a job? Thank you very much …

take the basic DP, then you need to spend 30 days on a DP shil, either dp1 or dp2, then you take the advanced dp course and spend 180 days i think on a dp1 or dp2 vessel, then you send in you stuff to the nautical institute.

basic dp is about 2500.00 and advances dp is about 2500.oo dollars, both are a week long

from Wikipedia

The DP operator judges whether there is enough redundancy available at any given moment of the operation. IMO issued MSC/Circ.738 (Guidelines for dynamic positioning system (DP) operator training) on 24-06-1996. This refers to IMCA (International Marine Contractors Association) M 117 as acceptable standard.

[SIZE=2]To qualify as a DP operator the following path should be followed:[ol]
[li]a DP Induction course [/li]> [li]a minimum of 30 days seagoing DP familiarisation [/li]> [li]a DP Advanced course [/li]> [li]a minimum of 6 months watchkeeping on a DP ship [/li]> [li]a statement of suitability by the master of a DP ship [/li]> [/ol]When the watchkeeping is done on a Class 1 DP ship, a limited certificate will be issued; otherwise a full certificate will be issued.

The DP Traning and Certification scheme is operated by The Nautical Institute (NI). The NI issue logbooks to trainees, they accredit training centres and control the issuance of certification.
[/SIZE]

Guys, I know nothing about this…Do you have to have a certain level of license to begin with?

Nope, no license required, but in the offshore world were you see it used most its generally excepted that the captain will also be the DP operator.

I’ve heard that some of the Drill Ships and Semi’s use non licensed guys as DP operators, but those guys either have a background in electronics or a lower level license were they got a few years running DP on the work boats before going to drilling.

[quote=Jemplayer;12723]Nope, no license required, but in the offshore world were you see it used most its generally excepted that the captain will also be the DP operator.

I’ve heard that some of the Drill Ships and Semi’s use non licensed guys as DP operators, but those guys either have a background in electronics or a lower level license were they got a few years running DP on the work boats before going to drilling.[/quote]

Thanks jemplayer…

hey Shellback
it will be hard to get a dp position on a drill rig but not unheard of if you have only a small license. not sure of the pay but check out seadrill and see what they say

mr 100
soon to be mr 1600 mate osv

I recommend Kongsberg Nautical Institute. I took the basic class at the Houston, Texas Location. I believe they have some European locations as well.

[quote=Mr 100-ton;12741]hey Shellback
it will be hard to get a dp position on a drill rig but not unheard of if you have only a small license. not sure of the pay but check out seadrill and see what they say

mr 100
soon to be mr 1600 mate osv[/quote]

I figured it might be…I’m just looking at options…
I’m not giving this job up until things really start to turn around anyway…I think I might be here a while…

There is no license requirement for certification as a DPO (Dynamic Positioning Operator). DP certification is simply a prerequisite for employment.

You can’t take the Induction and Simulator courses back to back. You MUST have 30 das of familiarization before you attend a Simulator course. The DP familiarization must have occurred within 5 yrs of application for the certificate. If you have more than 5 yrs DP experience, you can apply to the Nautical Institute for an exemption from attending the Induction course. Here’s how it works:

DP Induction-you will receive a logbook that all your DP time needs to be documented in either by the Master or DPO. 2500.00 @ Houston Marine

30 days of seagoing DP experience

DP Simulator 2500.00 @ houston Marine

30 days pf seagoing DP experience

180 days DP experience-can be before or after the classes. Will need to be documented by your company

Remember, If you are only on Class 1 vessels, you will only get a Limited DP certificate. In order to get a FULL DP certificate, you will have had experience on Class 2 or 3 vessels.

You can visit the website @ nautinst.org