What's the process to acquire the 100 ton master license?

I was just surfing around craigslist and found jobs/openings for someone with a 100 ton master license in where I live (Baltimore). It’s for an entertainment/attraction type of ship (Pirate stuff). There are other openings in the D.C. area as well for the same type of ship. I think it’s seasonal for summertime only. I was just curious how one can obtain the license and training. Is it a 4 year course or is it as short as obtaining a CDL class A truck license (3 week course)? If it’s easy, I would pursue it further just to have something to speak of as far as training and experience. I would likely be going onto the oilfields (offshore and inland). I think it would help to know how to drive a ship? I have other technical skills that are in the “heavy machinery” field. I would just like to expand and add more training to speak of. I think the offshore oil rig work would like to have more people with various skills and training whether it’s in the Gulf of Mexico or the Arabian Gulf.

[QUOTE=boatman;110974]I was just surfing around craigslist and found jobs/openings for someone with a 100 ton master license in where I live (Baltimore). It’s for an entertainment/attraction type of ship (Pirate stuff). There are other openings in the D.C. area as well for the same type of ship. I think it’s seasonal for summertime only. I was just curious how one can obtain the license and training. Is it a 4 year course or is it as short as obtaining a CDL class A truck license (3 week course)? If it’s easy, I would pursue it further just to have something to speak of as far as training and experience. I would likely be going onto the oilfields (offshore and inland). I think it would help to know how to drive a ship? I have other technical skills that are in the “heavy machinery” field. I would just like to expand and add more training to speak of. I think the offshore oil rig work would like to have more people with various skills and training whether it’s in the Gulf of Mexico or the Arabian Gulf.[/QUOTE]

Here is a starting point. There is a search function that, if utilized, is worth its weight in gold. Use it. Upper right hand corner. http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/credentials/checklists/pdfs/MCP-FM-NMC5-65%20Master%20200%20NC.pdf?list1=%2Fnmc%2Fcredentials%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-65+Master+200+NC.pdf&B1=GO!

try looking up the check list on the NMC web site. It will detail everything that is required. You need sea service though and it doesn’t sound like you have any.

Noble is hiring, right? Shoe-in for a chief mate on a drillship.

[QUOTE=Robert;110999]try looking up the check list on the NMC web site. It will detail everything that is required. You need sea service though and it doesn’t sound like you have any.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you meant by sea service. Would this be military related when you say “service”?

[QUOTE=z-drive;111002]Noble is hiring, right? Shoe-in for a chief mate on a drillship.[/QUOTE]

I’m in Baltimore. I could move if needed. When you say drillship would this be like a ship for oil rigs? I would guess Noble would be in the Gulf of Mexico?

[QUOTE=boatman;110974]I was just surfing around craigslist and found jobs/openings for someone with a 100 ton master license in where I live (Baltimore). It’s for an entertainment/attraction type of ship (Pirate stuff). There are other openings in the D.C. area as well for the same type of ship. I think it’s seasonal for summertime only. I was just curious how one can obtain the license and training. Is it a 4 year course or is it as short as obtaining a CDL class A truck license (3 week course)? If it’s easy, I would pursue it further just to have something to speak of as far as training and experience. I would likely be going onto the oilfields (offshore and inland). I think it would help to know how to drive a ship? I have other technical skills that are in the “heavy machinery” field. I would just like to expand and add more training to speak of. I think the offshore oil rig work would like to have more people with various skills and training whether it’s in the Gulf of Mexico or the Arabian Gulf.[/QUOTE]

The courses are just to meet the requirement to take a license exam. Before you can take the exam or course, you have to get at least one year working on a vessel (ship) as a deckhand or similar (for an “inland” license, if you are going to work outside of a harbor, bay, etc. you need a “near coastal” license which requires at least two years experience).

[QUOTE=boatman;111099]Not sure what you meant by sea service. Would this be military related when you say “service”?

[/QUOTE]

No, although military sea service does count. Sea service is the term used for describing your time served at sea.

[QUOTE=boatman;111099]Not sure what you meant by sea service. Would this be military related when you say “service”?

I’m in Baltimore. I could move if needed. When you say drillship would this be like a ship for oil rigs? I would guess Noble would be in the Gulf of Mexico?[/QUOTE]

I’m struggling but my evil nature seizing control of my fingers again and I can’t hold it off much longer…

beware of the big bad rabbit lest he nibble your bum!

just curious if 500 ton master license is the highest level? is there a higher tonnage than that? Can a 100 ton master license holder operate a 500 ton ship or is it the other way around (500 ton master license holder can operate anything lower)? Like a Class A truck driver license can operate what a class B could but not the other way around.

You can become a pirate without a 100 ton skipper lic. In all honesty, these certifications are not obtained over a few weeks like a truck driving school. It generally takes years of study and sea time. That does not mean you can’t get started, but don’t look for any quick and easy money, at least not immediately. Reminds me of a naval officer I spoke with once. During a casual conversation I asked what he may look into after the USN. He said he may look into one of those pilot jobs he had heard about. Yea, right, those pilot organizations are just waiting for a naval officer to waltz in. Shouldn’t take more than a weekend to secure one of those jobs.

“Reminds me of a naval officer I spoke with once. During a casual conversation I asked what he may look into after the USN. He said he may look into one of those pilot jobs he had heard about.”

Ha Ha lol…yeah…brings back some memories !

i’ll give you a little help here before you get torn to shreds. you have a LONG way to go.

i should just leave it at that, but i’ll expand my reply. you are going to need documented sea service to get your 100 ton master, and you are going to need to pass a test. 100 time isn’t regulated, so a lot of people make it up. i wouldn’t do that. if you are in the b-more area, i would apply to one of the “spirit” dinner cruises and next year get a letter from your company documenting your “sea service.” then you can apply to take your exams. once you finish all of that, you will need oodles of reputable sea service, most likely as a deckhand, to show that you are a prudent mariner before a company is going to look at you. it isn’t a 4 year degree, but it isn’t like you get the cert. and step behind the helm. realistically, i’d give you a minimum of 4 years from when you step on your first ship before you get to the a helm position in the smallest gom company. that should at least let you know if it is worth the effort or not.

No, 500 ton is not the highest level. AGT ( any gross tonnage), any ocean is the tops. After that you are a star ship commander. But you won’t need to worry about that I would assume. The jobs you are looking into are limited tonnage ones. You’re asking the right questions, but you also may want to head down to the water front and ask people working on the water there. They will educate you as well. The best education would be to gain some entry level job on a vessel of some sort. Then you can see if this line of work is really what your looking for. Warning, it’s not for all.

c.captin, after reading many of the threads you have commented on here, (my personal favorite: STCW codes- who knows the numbers) I thought your response to the one here asking these questions on this thread would be like a candle during a hurricane…GONNA GET LIT UP!!!

I enjoy reading your “pointy stick” replies. I thought on this particular thread, some fluff was served involving “pirate ships” and I thought “that dudes (c.captins) gonna crush it!!!”

A few last questions c.captin, maybe you can help me,

Please explain the whole STCW codes again, I forgot. My MMC card only reflects Wiper, Ordinary Seaman, and SU. What does SU mean and what is a TWIC card and do I need one.
MSC, ever heard of em, what’s it like working for them?
How does one “search this forum”? I tried searching “how to search this forum” to no avail.
What is a thread?
Why is it spelled gunwales and pronounced gunnels?
And seriously, what is this google thing you speak of???

I AM KIDDING!!!

Keep posting, love readin’ it!!!

Murphy

[QUOTE=Madvac;111434]I AM KIDDING!!!

Keep posting, love readin’ it!!!

Murphy[/QUOTE]

My great pleasure Murph…I am always glad to be of service to make any fellow mariner’s day a little less BS filled! If we can’t turn to humor in this miserable effing biddness, us unwashed seamen are doomed to drinking, whoring and general debauchery!

What’s that? You say we can’t drink and whore and toke or run amuck in port anymore! EMMEFFING CHRIST, WHAT’S THE POINT OF GOING TO SEA ANYMORE THEN?

What about this one…

I heard c-captains head expload all the way here In austin!

Here is my advice to you.

You live in Baltimore. Go down to the inner harbor and chat up the water taxi, Spirit boats, the other tour boats. Get a job on one and start getting your sea time. Get your AB and captains license and work yourself up from there. Work hard and do what you are told and learn all you can.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;111445]I heard c-captains head expload all the way here In austin![/QUOTE]

GODDAMMIT! I can never see these bloody attached images! Why can’t you all do it like me with the BBS tags? It’s as easy as [img ]http://www.url_of_photo.jpg[ /img]

Honestly, the best way to acquire a 100 ton masters license is to wait by the docks where crewboats tie up… Preferably in hours of darkness.
Wait til a lone 100 ton cap saunters by. Club him over the head, careful not to hit the face.
Now this part is important. He or she should be bigger than you. Reason being, when you skin them to make your captain suit, you don’t want it to be to small, or it’ll look weird. Put the lotion on the skin, to keep it supple. Wear a hat, and get those little Xmas tree freshn’r thingees to keep the smell of his/her skinned corpse in the engine hatches under wraps. Be ornery and self important, and always follow your own schedule, and NO ONE WILL SUSPECT A THING.