Veteran ships of the world

The world’s first diesel driven cargo ship, the M/V Selandia belonging to Danish East Asiatic Company. (EAC)
Built at B&W Yard in Copenhagen in 1913, she grounded and broke in two in Japan in 1942:
:

GT from this website in Danish:
https://www.snesejler.dk/bill84.htm

2 Likes

The barque Kobenhavn had a diesel auxiliary engine in 1921. She was lost with all hands in 1928.

There were an even earlier one with diesel engines, the Jutlandia, built 1912:

She was replace by a newbuilt Jutlandia in 1934 that lasted withe EAC until 1965:
Sometime in the 1960s a new “unsinkable” buoy, divided into 13 separate watertight sections was placed on a shoal at Eastern Anchorage in Singapore.

Within months the Jutlandia arrived on her final trip to Babgkok and hit it, cut it in two parts, which both sunk.

1 Like

The first ocean going cargo ship … the first diesel driven ship was the Vandal. A Russian diesel-electric tanker.

The Vandal followed the smaller Petit Pierre river barge in the same year, 1903.

1 Like

The Goya, built in Germany in 1938 and taken over by the British in 1945.
Given to Norway as war indemnity in 1946. Converted to a migrant ship in 1949. Carried migrants from Europe to New Zealand, but re-converted to a cargo ship in 1952. She sailed in the South Amerika Line until 1961.
Finally broken up in 1969. Seen here as migrant ship:
Many of today’s Kiwis can probably trace their ancestor’s arrival in NZ to this ship. (??)

1 Like

Not me. The passage by my forebears was made by ships and a barque and the only fossil fuel that was used was in the galley stove.

2 Likes

A typical 1960s Dutch Coaster has been preserved:

There were many that went to the Pacific and spent their last days in inter island trade. The problem is that there is no continuing supply of small seaworthy ships that are simple to operate anymore.
The other thing I regret as I didn’t carry a camera.

Former tugboat seen at the Yacht Club Marina in Port Moresby,PNG:

Anybody know the name and history of this beauty?

Has this one been put out of it’s misery yet?:

2 Likes

I don’t know if anybody here is familiar with the “Historic Vessel Vega”??
She is a regular visitor in Singapore and do charity work in East Indonesia:

1 Like

This one turned up for sale recently. I’m desperately in love. Now to get out of my current predicament, born of the last time I fell in love with a boat.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/house-boats-conversion-for-sale/394358

Older picture from before a modern bow was fitted:

2 Likes

Owner/captain doing interisland trading, then back to the Miami River or way down the creek in Port Ev…a uniform of beatup khaki shorts, flip flops, and a guayabera or acapulco shirt with a humidor on the bridge, a mate, an engineer, maybe four hands, and a secretary in the office trailer that looks like Sofia Vergara…

…My dream job…

4 Likes

Then maybe this one could be suitable for you?

PS> The trailer is already there. (Doesn’t look like Sofia Vergara though):

3 anchors but no visible name.(Why??):

1 Like

No name? plausible deniability LOL

Another old coaster that is still in operation, M/V Basen, blt. 1966:

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/BASEN-IMO-6608050-MMSI-257062400

The ESTRELLA (ex Koningin Emma) enroute from Scheveningen to Reimerwaal passing Vlissingen Photo : Wim Kosten ©

Quite an eventful remarkable history. She was even for some time used as a brothel!