Vessel / E-R Resource management Training

I figured before I forked more money over for the new training I would ask where you guys have went and done yours ? Planning on going to MAMA and getting it over with so everything goes thru with my upgrade to Chief Limited shortly. Anyone done it there or is there someplace else you can recommend ?

Hoping to have the 240 in pretty quickly for my 1st, probably by August of 2016. My goal is to be able to get to the drilling side once things pick back up. Anyone have some helpful recomendations as far as crossing over, additional training, even just helpful tips.

Would the jump from conventional /ATB tug to a drillship / MODU be a huge shock, or should I get in line when Joe boss opens the doors again and try a big OSV first ? Its purely about the money and Im the first one to admit it, the love for this job died about 5yrs ago and I want the next 10yrs to be worth as much per day as they can be.

a co-worker of mine did ERM at MPT and said he enjoyed it…he plans on doing MEECE there too.
I am trying to wait out ERM and MEECE because a school in so cal is trying to get their courses approved…kinda want to avoid high traveling costs such as airfare, if I can.
I can’t speak for drillships/MODUs, but transitioning to OSVs for you shouldn’t be too big a deal. Pumping bulk and monitoring more tankage is about the jist of it.

World of difference between a tug engine room and mine. There's a little more to it than pumping dry bulk and watching tank levels.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;164344]World of difference between a tug engine room and mine. There’s a little more to it than pumping dry bulk and watching tank levels.[/QUOTE]
You have to know which pocket the rag and flashlight go also! Oh and those PLC and VFD thingies, and other assorted letters…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;164344]World of difference between a tug engine room and mine. There’s a little more to it than pumping dry bulk and watching tank levels.[/QUOTE]

My apologies, chief. Sometimes I forget I am still working on late 90s technology. I am aware, not personally, that an OSV plant has evolved since then.

http://hornbeckoffshore.com/public/uploads/fleet_docs/spec_sheets/HOS_Black_Watch_Spec_Sheet.pdf

http://hornbeckoffshore.com/public/uploads/fleet_docs/general_arrangement_drawings/HOS_Red_Dawn_General_Arrangement.pdf

http://hornbeckoffshore.com/public/uploads/fleet_docs/general_arrangement_drawings/HOSMAX_310ES_General_Arrangement.pdf

http://hornbeckoffshore.com/fleet/vessels/hos-riverbend

Oh and as to the original subject I’m gonna do the 3 main classes at MPT. I worked the phones and asked around and it seems a good choice for me. I’ll report back after I’ve taken MEECE.

I figured if i got on something even late 90’s would be like a brand new boat, shit you get them with the plastic still on the seat. Was hoping NE Maritime would be doing the classes but no such luck yet.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;164375]I figured if i got on something even late 90’s would be like a brand new boat, shit you get them with the plastic still on the seat.[/QUOTE]

I was just speaking of my personal experience…used to work on tugs and the transition to OSVs wasn’t an issue for me. However, I do acknowledge that I’m working on basically ‘out of date’ equipment. Hoping one day to get a shot at newer equipment, if I don’t get canned before.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;164338]I figured before I forked more money over for the new training I would ask where you guys have went and done yours ? Planning on going to MAMA and getting it over with so everything goes thru with my upgrade to Chief Limited shortly. Anyone done it there or is there someplace else you can recommend ?

Hoping to have the 240 in pretty quickly for my 1st, probably by August of 2016. My goal is to be able to get to the drilling side once things pick back up. Anyone have some helpful recomendations as far as crossing over, additional training, even just helpful tips.

Would the jump from conventional /ATB tug to a drillship / MODU be a huge shock, or should I get in line when Joe boss opens the doors again and try a big OSV first ? Its purely about the money and Im the first one to admit it, the love for this job died about 5yrs ago and I want the next 10yrs to be worth as much per day as they can be.[/QUOTE]

There are other members more qualified to ans this but my experience is that the majority of engineers appreciate a good work ethic, teamwork, being a good shipmate etc and will be willing to help someone with good basic engineering skills over the hump of the steep learning curve.

The beefs I hear from the chief are guys not looking at the manual before tearing into something, not asking for help or just shitty work.

I think if people know they can trust you then they are willing to overlook the fact you can’t find you way around at first.

Best of luck.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;164371]

Oh and as to the original subject I’m gonna do the 3 main classes at MPT. I worked the phones and asked around and it seems a good choice for me. I’ll report back after I’ve taken MEECE.[/QUOTE]

Well looks like MPT is the place to go, taking the classes in December, relief or no relief. Went down that road with EMD 2x setting everything up to not get off even close to on time.

I came here looking for information on the Manila 2010 requirements and saw your post. I have some firsthand knowledge with exactly what you are asking so I can give you my input.

After 10 years in the USN, I sailed on conventional oceangoing tugs for 12 years moving clean fuel on the West Coast and Alaska, I did two years on anchor handling boats in the GOM, another three years on HFO ATBs on the West Coast and GOM, a short 6 month stint on Hornbeck’s OSVs and then the past three years on 6th generation drillship.

These drillships have more shit on here than you could possibly imagine. It will be a total shock for you. That being said, I know Tug guys. Two of the strongest guys we have come from there.

IF you are smart, apply yourself, are willing to go to training on your time off, have no issues walking all day carrying tools up and down ladders, moving from one job to the next, work behind the guys who started the job and just plain work your ass off with everyone else on the ship then you will be fine.

On another note… the money is good but if I thought one of my guys that was here “Just for the money” I would keep an eye on him. To do this you have to be committed to the ship and the guys around you. There’s just too much to do and everyone has to pull their weight. I’m not saying you don’t but you will have to on here.

If you’re going to be away from home you might as well make the money.

I have scheduled at MAMA because a) I live in the area and 2) my employer will pay (If I haven’t bugged out by then). I plan to take in Dec. I have signed up well in advance.

Money? If you know where I currently work, you’ll know I make less than a Starbucks barista (at least they get tips!) but I hope to change that in the coming year. I figure it’s the last 10 years of my working life so might as well enjoy it as much as possible.

I’m sitting for my CE (limited) next week myself. I haven’t even LQQKED into the classes we need. My luck the NMC will change something after I Have already dished out the cash. The company I work for doesn’t help with classes or needed endorsements that we all need. Its not that I cant afford it, But It would help. I will do what I need to get the endorsement. It will be a good investment along the way. I’m glad I got my STCW crap when I started out, Hate to be a newbie starting out ,It will be a long road. The license don’t make the engineer ,But now a days you need one to be one.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;164338]I figured before I forked more money over for the new training I would ask where you guys have went and done yours ? Planning on going to MAMA and getting it over with so everything goes thru with my upgrade to Chief Limited shortly. Anyone done it there or is there someplace else you can recommend ?

Would the jump from conventional /ATB tug to a drillship / MODU be a huge shock, or should I get in line when Joe boss opens the doors again and try a big OSV first ? Its purely about the money and Im the first one to admit it, the love for this job died about 5yrs ago and I want the next 10yrs to be worth as much per day as they can be.[/QUOTE]

I’ve worked all three. It’s honestly mind blowing going to a drillship from an atb. Get used to walking five miles a day, and a much heavier workload, and being restricted to what you work on(electricians work on electrical, not you!) Etc. Not for everyone. And not for you if you enjoy being critical to the operation. There are so many different departments, that it’s a bit like a factory job or something. That’s not the right phrase, but its close. Subsea Engineer, that’s the ticket to get! In a couple years that is…

[QUOTE=Yeasty McFlaps;165741]I’ve worked all three. It’s honestly mind blowing going to a drillship from an atb. Get used to walking five miles a day, and a much heavier workload, and being restricted to what you work on(electricians work on electrical, not you!) Etc. Not for everyone. And not for you if you enjoy being critical to the operation. There are so many different departments, that it’s a bit like a factory job or something. That’s not the right phrase, but its close. Subsea Engineer, that’s the ticket to get! In a couple years that is…[/QUOTE]

Thats about right, according to my FitBit I’m averaging 7-8miles a day on a normal day.

[QUOTE=Kingrobby;165743]Thats about right, according to my FitBit I’m averaging 7-8miles a day on a normal day.[/QUOTE]

I “retired” to a job that ended up putting me on drillships and MODUs most of the time. I am in the best shape of my life. It was not what I intended when I retired but the doctor is happy.

MITAGS school in Baltimore has lots of classes. I’m taking meece and erm there this year and next year “the more expensive one”. Go online for MITAGS or some guys are doing online courses and you have to test at some online test centers throughout the U.S…

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;171360]MITAGS school in Baltimore has lots of classes. I’m taking meece and erm there this year and next year “the more expensive one”. Go online for MITAGS or some guys are doing online courses and you have to test at some online test centers throughout the U.S…[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t get the LMS one at Mitags. One of my friends is doing the Online version of ERM and LMS with Cutwater. http://support.cutwater.org/curriculum/maritime-resource-management/course-description If he has good luck with it I may drop out of the ERM I am booked at and do those two online.

I worry there are going to be a lot of headings in our manning department as guys can’t get these courses in on time. (just like the last time)

If you are talking about the combined course, I believe the coast guard isn’t allowing that anymore.

I am currently taking class online through the MEBA school.