? for those working on the Drill Ships and Semi- Subs and OSV's

I’m a Deck Cadet with my STCW 95’ BST, HUET/ Water Survival, Safe Gulf Card, and have completed DP induction at Kongsberg.

Do any of your companies ever take Cadets. I would like to Sail with a drilling company for one of my sea projects or possibly an OSV company if I can get put on a unlimited tonnage vessel. I Stopped in Diamond and Pacific last month and they weren’t taking any, Transocean and SeaDrill would never get back to me. So I just was wondering if anyone out there working has ever had cadets on board. A lot of the supply boat companies won’t even let me know if they take cadets. Gulfmark and Hornbeck where the only ones who said not at this time because of things being so slow. Otto, Harvey, Seacor… would never even return my voicemails.

Any Input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I can’t make something work down in the Oil patch, I might have to head for a cable layer.

Thanks, Nate

Here’s the problem Nate…even as a cadet you are still a US seaman and thus a Jones Act liability for the vessel owner who all are scared to death of that liability. You can take a header down a ladder just the same as a 30 year master but you aren’t bringing the value of that master to the owner. You just aren’t worth it to them so why should they accept the additional risk?

Also with drillships is that bunks are the most valuable realestate on the ship. There are never enough of them for all the rig, catering, company and third party people who all are needed. I’ve seen rig painters sent ashore with pay just to open up bunks.

Lastly, if you were to get a cadet berth with an OSV company it would not count as unlimited tonnage time. OSV’s (subchapter L) over 3000 but under 6000grt (which would be unlimited if they were subchapter D, H, I or U) are considered large OSV’s in the eyes of the Coast Guard (eventually that will go for vessels over 6000tons but not at least yet).

Basically, the reason you don’t hear back from the offshore companies is that they 1) don’t know what a deck cadet even is and 2) wouldn’t want them aboard their vessels even if they did. Don’t know why you’d want to cadet ship on a cable layer? Don’t they just sit dockside waiting for the infrequent repair job? Get on an ATB pushing a big oil barge if you can. That’d get you tanker time which can be as valuable as DP time.

[QUOTE=GLMASailor;51926]I’m a Deck Cadet with my STCW 95’ BST, HUET/ Water Survival, Safe Gulf Card, and have completed DP induction at Kongsberg.

Do any of your companies ever take Cadets. I would like to Sail with a drilling company for one of my sea projects or possibly an OSV company if I can get put on a unlimited tonnage vessel. I Stopped in Diamond and Pacific last month and they weren’t taking any, Transocean and SeaDrill would never get back to me. So I just was wondering if anyone out there working has ever had cadets on board. A lot of the supply boat companies won’t even let me know if they take cadets. Gulfmark and Hornbeck where the only ones who said not at this time because of things being so slow. Otto, Harvey, Seacor… would never even return my voicemails.

Any Input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I can’t make something work down in the Oil patch, I might have to head for a cable layer.

Thanks, Nate[/QUOTE]

Speaking as an engineer. All the major players take cadets on, it’s how they get their new hires !
Go thru your cadet placement folks where you go to school. If for some strange reason they have lost all contact with the outside world pick up a phone and call whoever it is you think you might want to experience.
I always enjoyed having cadets on board, even the ugly ones start to look good after a 90 days or so.:slight_smile:
tenigneer

[QUOTE=c.captain;51938]Here’s the problem Nate…even as a cadet you are still a US seaman and thus a Jones Act liability for the vessel owner who all are scared to death of that liability. You can take a header down a ladder just the same as a 30 year master but you aren’t bringing the value of that master to the owner. You just aren’t worth it to them so why should they accept the additional risk?

Also with drillships is that bunks are the most valuable realestate on the ship. There are never enough of them for all the rig, catering, company and third party people who all are needed. I’ve seen rig painters sent ashore with pay just to open up bunks.

Lastly, if you were to get a cadet berth with an OSV company it would not count as unlimited tonnage time. OSV’s (subchapter L) over 3000 but under 6000grt (which would be unlimited if they were subchapter D, H, I or U) are considered large OSV’s in the eyes of the Coast Guard (eventually that will go for vessels over 6000tons but not at least yet).

Basically, the reason you don’t hear back from the offshore companies is that they 1) don’t know what a deck cadet even is and 2) wouldn’t want them aboard their vessels even if they did. Don’t know why you’d want to cadet ship on a cable layer? Don’t they just sit dockside waiting for the infrequent repair job? Get on an ATB pushing a big oil barge if you can. That’d get you tanker time which can be as valuable as DP time.[/QUOTE]

He can get unlimited time on an OSV. The only thing you cannot get is Chief Mate Time. We have Cadets onboard all the time. GLMA call Nicky Collins at Edison Chouest Offshore. Ask if he has any spots on vessels over 3000 tons ITC. He may not, but the company seems very pro academy at this time.

Diesel is correct. I have a Cadet from Cal maritime onboard right now. He has completed most of his Summer Cruise already. They also let him go to the Adv. DP Class at the Training Center. I would definitely give Nicky Collins a call. (985) 632-7144

Thanks for all of the responses. I will give Nicky a call on Tuesday and see If something is available. As far as our Cadet placement lady, She hardly has contacts outside of the Great Lakes, Crowley, Horizion lines, Matson, OSG, Seabulk and a few other companies, But hopefully she can add some more contacts.