USCG OUPV Licence Question. Physical and Drug Test

I was told by Sea School that I should have my USCG application processed before attending their school just in case I’m denied/rejected for whatever reason and i’m not out the tuition. Makes sense to me. They told me to go ahead an get my TWIC card, first aid/CPR, physical and drug test and then submit my application to the USCG for my OUPV license. I applied for my TWIC January 9th 2015 and it was mailed to me January 17th 2015. I was told it would take three to four months by the application center so since I wasn’t prepared to receive my card so soon I didn’t have a chance yet to get my physical, drug test, and first aid/cpr. I’m taking a course next week to get certified in CPR, First Aid, and AED usage, but I was wondering about the physical and drug test. I don’t do drugs so that’s not a problem but my question is this: can my general practitioner do the physical and drug test or are there pre approved centers I should look at going to for these. I’m located in Chattanooga, TN if anyone knows someplace nearby I should go for these. Thank you. -JD

Find a Dr that is qualified to complete a DOT physical. They should be able to work through it. Just make sure when addressing the vision and hearing portions that he/she just wrights normal. Nothkng more or it will confuse the MRO at the NMC and you will have to get it redone. Good luck

Just about every occupational health clinics do DOT physicals and can do CG physicals, might have to bring your own forms.

[QUOTE=James Ducros;152657]I was told by Sea School that I should have my USCG application processed before attending their school just in case I’m denied/rejected for whatever reason and i’m not out the tuition. Makes sense to me. They told me to go ahead an get my TWIC card, first aid/CPR, physical and drug test and then submit my application to the USCG for my OUPV license. I applied for my TWIC January 9th 2015 and it was mailed to me January 17th 2015. I was told it would take three to four months by the application center so since I wasn’t prepared to receive my card so soon I didn’t have a chance yet to get my physical, drug test, and first aid/cpr. I’m taking a course next week to get certified in CPR, First Aid, and AED usage, but I was wondering about the physical and drug test. I don’t do drugs so that’s not a problem but my question is this: can my general practitioner do the physical and drug test or are there pre approved centers I should look at going to for these. I’m located in Chattanooga, TN if anyone knows someplace nearby I should go for these. Thank you. -JD[/QUOTE]

Any state licensed Doctor can do the physical, but it has to be documented on the Coast Guard "Form 719-K." If you use your own doctor, you should probably provide the form and the instructionsto your doctor before your appointment.

The drug test is a very specific type of test, not just any test will be accepted. It must be a U.S. Department of Transportation “SAMHSA” test. Finding a lab to do it can be a challenge. The last 2 times I renewed my stuff I used these guys, they will find a lab near where you live and make all the arrangemments. There are others providing similar services.

Even better than getting these done before the course is to apoply for the license first. The course takes the place of the test, and the test is only authorized when everything else is in order and everything has been approved. If you apply first, everything will be evaluated and you if it is all acceptable, you’ll be approved to take the test. Then, you can take a course and submit it instad of taking the test from the Coast Guard. This gives you the best assurance that you will get the license if you pass the test (or course).