Drug Screen & Physical for Z-Card South Florida

There’s only a few listed physicians in the MRO approved list and they are charging outrageous prices, one of them quoted me $165 for a Drug screen & Physical? what the hell? is there any cheaper options here in Fort Lauderdale that’s approved by the USCG.

I asked for a USCG physical? or should it be something else like DOT?

That’s normal. I was quoted the same in Hawaii last week

I can see a physical alone being $100 or $125 before the drug test. (My dad quoted me $125 for a DOT physical from 12 years ago or so. The only DOT physical I paid for myself was $90.)

I have no basis for comparison for the drug test. I have never had to pay for one myself.

Ok so it’s normal, i thought i was getting played for a second.

I can’t say if it is “normal” but it does not seem that far off to me. Call again and ask how much for a normal annual physical. It could easily be $100 or more. Office visits alone seem to run $90 or better before tests, etc.

so once i have the Twic + Zcard + BST, i can go ahead and look for a entry level gig right? just to tests the water before i commit into a educational program.

That is not a bad deal. It’s was $300.00 for my SIU on two years ago and $200.00 for the USCG and drug screen last year.

[QUOTE=tugboat146;49195]That is not a bad deal. [B][U]It’s was $300.00 for my SIU on two years ago and $200.00 for the USCG and drug screen last year.[/U][/B][/QUOTE]

I guess i’m going to call this doctors office again tomorrow lol

Do not relate a USCG Physical & Drug Screen to one for SIU. While they may technically be the same, the purpose is different.

[QUOTE=Cal;49197]Do not relate a USCG Physical & Drug Screen to one for SIU. While they may technically be the same, the purpose is different.[/QUOTE]
Once you’re a member of the SIU, the annual physicals are free. If you need a CG physical, you just tell the port agent and it will be included with your annual at no cost. I was surprised at the number of SIU members that were unaware of that benifit.

I paid $60 a few months ago to a national “consortium” who uses local labs throughout the country, they sent me to a lab 2 miles from my home.

If you are in the Ft Laudedale area call Marine Proffesional Training. The are a sea school, they might be able to give a lead on a cheaper place.

[QUOTE=injunear;49199]Once you’re a member of the SIU, the annual physicals are free. If you need a CG physical, you just tell the port agent and it will be included with your annual at no cost. I was surprised at the number of SIU members that were unaware of that benifit.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I didn’t see a difference between a physical and drug screen for the USCG and the one for SIU, aside from the cost. SIU has their own program, whatever the logic behind it is. The point I was trying to make was unless the physical and drug screen are for SIU, don’t pay that kind of money and don’t consider it comparable to what you should pay for one to meet USCG requirements.

I’m seeing quite a few benefits that members may be unaware of. Thankfully, my son picks up on my uneasiness well and I’ve told him I don’t have the answers, but this industry has some of the craziest shit I’ve ever seen, so ask lots of questions of multiple people. He has, and through him I’ve learned quite a bit. There are quite a few benefits to being an SIU member as far as I’ve seen. Once you’re through the apprentice stage of things the physicals, drug screens, schools, transportation and lodging to, are all taken care of. Good deal if you ask me.

Make sure you have the new CG-719K physical that is 9 pages. The old one that was 3 or 5 (?) pages is obsolete and will not be accepted.