USCG New Rule Published Yet?

The last I heard was a target date of late October, did the government shutdown delay it?

Does anyone have any news?

Do you mean the new tug subchapter?

[QUOTE=“PaddyWest2012;123424”]

Do you mean the new tug subchapter?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, the new licensing rules…

WHAT new licensing rules?

omg
wtf
bbq

snprm.

Looks like someone is drunk on watch AND screwing around on gCaptain again… What is this? The ITALIAN merchant marine or something?

If you don’t know about the SNPRM for STCW I can’t help you.

New rules!!! When? … I never get these memos dammit! When will we ever get a heads up about this stuff!

Is this someones idea of a sick Halloween joke?

If someone has information about pending STCW regulatory changes just post the information or give us a link. The attempt at humor is not working.

I’m sure if this were true, Mr. Cavo would have clued us in. I haven’t heard about anything “new”

[QUOTE=PMC;123551]If someone has information about pending STCW regulatory changes just post the information or give us a link. The attempt at humor is not working.[/QUOTE]

In 2010 the STCW was amended to go into effect in 2012. In 2010 the Coast Guard published a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) proposing regulation changes. In 2011 a Supplemental Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (SNPRM) proposing regulations revised per the comments on the NPRM. A year ago the Coast Guard published several policy letters in anticipation of new regulations. They have been discussed in various gCaptain discussions for several years. It’s hardly a secret that new regulations to implement the 2010 STCW are in the future.

Here’s a link for you: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/about_us/brochures/STCW_Brochure.pdf It’s an “official” summary. Google “STCW 2010” and you’ll find more.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;123554]I’m sure if this were true, Mr. Cavo would have clued us in. I haven’t heard about anything “new”[/QUOTE]

My recap above is all that the Coast Guard is allowed to disclose. Federal agencies cannot discuss pending or proposed rulemaking except in very specific and limited circumstances and conditions.

Here’s you link

http://bit.ly/HxqFib

The only cave with mariners I am aware of is the one in West Virginia.:smiley:

Does the Coast Guard disseminate actual or proposed regulatory changes to licensed mariners? If not if could be done with the touch of a button. When I am at sea I am half-way around the world, And when I am home, I have to admit that I do not run to check for news on any STCW-related websites. In the past I have found comfort from knowing that almost everything that is decreed is then delayed and delayed.

I was aware of what apparently is the latest alphabet soup gobbly-gook that has been promulgated. But nothing in this thread referenced anything specific. I thought that perhaps there was something else new.

double post

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/about_us/brochures/STCW_Brochure.pdf

Here’s one in regards to the ECDIS edorsement.

Anyone take the course yet?

Anyone who went to a maritime academy in the last decade know whether or not it was written into the course approval for their program or not? Since the CG has decided approved courses are not public information I guess I would need to ask the academy.

“CG Approved ECDIS Course, OR
Graduates from a maritime academy or mariners who have completed a master/mate 500/1600 program , may have completed the requirements for ECDIS. Verify in COAP the course approval covers the requirements for ECDIS.”

[QUOTE=“z-drive”]Here’s one in regards to the ECDIS edorsement. Anyone take the course yet? Anyone who went to a maritime academy in the last decade know whether or not it was written into the course approval for their program or not? Since the CG has decided approved courses are not public information I guess I would need to ask the academy. /QUOTE]
I took ECDIS a couple of years ago at SUNY Maritime, as a continuing ed. student. It was their first instance of the class offering, several of the other students in the class were SUNY faculty members getting this new class under their belts.
NMC told me I was good to go.

[QUOTE=z-drive;123589]Anyone take the course yet?[/QUOTE]

I took it in 2011 at ECO. I realize it isn’t what you’re asking but for what its worth it was a really general course that focused on concepts and not a lot of specifics. It used to be a five day course but the CG allowed it to be cut back to four.

[QUOTE=jbranscum;123601]I took it in 2011 at ECO. I realize it isn’t what you’re asking but for what its worth it was a really general course that focused on concepts and not a lot of specifics. It used to be a five day course but the [B]CG allowed it to be cut back to four[/B].[/QUOTE]
and you wonder why the US has shipping rules different to the rest of the world?
Every time they look like being stcw-95 compliant they take 2 steps backwards and one sideways
Imagine the shock horror if the US signed up to MLC 2006!!!