CFR Licensing Changes: When?

I looked at the proposed changes :confused:
I noticed the Public Opinion closing date but I didnt see when those little CFR changes are set to be approved.

I know that may not be announced yet but was hoping for someone with experiece with this stuff (Cavo) who might say, “oh ya it’ll be another ___ months before any of these changes hit the street.”

Any crystal ball gazers here?

Just wonding. I’ll have all my sea time for 1600 Mate NC in a couple months and was wondring if I should:

1. quit my job, take classes for 6 months and get all the OICNW courses knocked out to get grandfathered in or

2. chillout until the new 1600 GRT Mate CFRs go into effect.

Any advice?

Bob

Who knows? First, it’s a proposal, but requires comment by the public. The Coast Guard will then review comments by mariners and industry. Comment periods have been known to be extended, sometimes not. If there are changes, there will be a comment period on the changes. There will be public meetings as well, scheduled in the near future. It’s not a fast process, but I will say this. The Coast Guard has put a lot of effort in these changes. That did not happen over night, so I would assume that most will stick, but not to any time frame.

Hi Bob,
I would suggest reviewing the changes with a knowledgeable person and be ready to get into to school sooner than later. I doubt that the CG is going to roll back their requirements - maybe Capt. Fran can help?
MTSKIER

Did I see the bat signal?

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na Cap-Fran!

“Holy CFR’s Cap’n Fran, I might need to take some more classes!” “Don’t worry Matey, you just need to get straight with Nate!”

Just heard from someone that after the rules are changed, there will be a 1 year period before implementation.

with the new STCW going into effect does this paragraph mean?? that in order to get unlimited tonnage you have to work on a vessel over 2000 GT

11.402… 11.402 …
Adds a table providing equivalencies between
GRT and GT. Enables equating between the two systems,
for credentialing purposes only.
Revises tonnage limitations for an unlimited
officer endorsement by setting the min-
imum to 2,000 GRT/3,300 GT.
Establishes a minimum tonnage limitation.

It was previously possible to obtain a limita-
tion of less than 2,000 GRT/3,300 GT;
however, there is little reason to establish
any limitation less than 2,000 GRT/3,300
GT.

anchorman what lens did you decide to buy??

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;21795]with the new STCW going into effect does this paragraph mean?? that in order to get unlimited tonnage you have to work on a vessel over 2000 GT

11.402… 11.402 …
Adds a table providing equivalencies between
GRT and GT. Enables equating between the two systems,
for credentialing purposes only.
Revises tonnage limitations for an unlimited
officer endorsement by setting the min-
imum to 2,000 GRT/3,300 GT.
Establishes a minimum tonnage limitation.

It was previously possible to obtain a limita-
tion of less than 2,000 GRT/3,300 GT;
however, there is little reason to establish
any limitation less than 2,000 GRT/3,300
GT.

anchorman what lens did you decide to buy??[/QUOTE]

It just means that “if” you have an unlimited license, such as a 3rd Mate, but do not have enough time over 1600 tons, the least amount of any limitation to the license is 2,000 tons. So, you can have 3rd mate restricted to 2,000 tons, apparently, now, there are limitations possible under 2,000 tons which doesn’t make much sense.

Haven’t ordered a lens yet…getting close.

Thank You ! Good to know Ill have at least 12 months to get the OICNW stuff completed. Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to school Ill go…

Go Bob, go!
:slight_smile:

[I][quote=bob;21671]I know that may not be announced yet but was hoping for someone with experiece with this stuff (Cavo) who might say, “oh ya it’ll be another ___ months before any of these changes hit the street.”[/quote][/I]

The Administrative Procedures Act and other law limits what federal employees can discuss about pending rulemaking, and where they can discuss it. So I can’t give an answer. However, ancorman pretty accurately describes the process (post #2).

You can make comments relevant to the rule to the docket and they will be considered/discussed when the rule reaches its next step. Details on submitting comments are in the Federal register notice.