Proposed amendments to upper level licensing track

Hoping someone out there might be able to expand on this. I have heard from several sources now about changes in the pipeline to the upper level licensing progression. I’m posting two links below. One to an article in the November/December Masters Mates and Pilots magazine (page 3), and one to the regs page discussing some (though not all) of the proposed changes. Here is an exerpt from the article for those who may be mobile and unable to bring it up:

“The Coast Guard proposes, for example, that a 1600 GRT master could have the tonnage limitation removed to an unlimited ocean
master’s license after six months of service on his limited license. Assessments could be signed off on by any mariner with a license
higher than the mariner being assessed, a situation that could clearly raise the risk of fraudulent assessments, undermining the integrity
of the licensing system.
The Coast Guard also proposes that a third mate could qualify for unlimited ocean master with 36 months’ sea service, without any
time as chief mate.”

http://www.bridgedeck.org/mmp_mags/2011/Nov_Dec.pdf

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=USCG-2004-17914-0007

I’ve been looking for more information about this for some time, and for what seems to be a fairly public process, I’m hearing very little. Any insight is appreciated.

It is rather open. They have had a notice of proposed rule making and a supplemental notice of proposed rule making both out and both up for public comment. No one can say exactly what the final rule will be though there is speculation that there well be another supplemental notice of proposed rule making up for public comment because of comments on the previous snprm. I well be surprised if the coast guard lowers their standards to that of the imo and stcw and as far as I know they are not required to as long as their minimum standards are at least equivalent.

I would be very glad though to see the requirement to serve as a chief mate removed but that is a self serving desire. It does appear that they are planning to increase the standards to be a 1600 ton master though. Essentially an unlimited master with a tonnage restriction. Good for them if they do.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;68851] I well be surprised if the coast guard lowers their standards to that of the imo and stcw and as far as I know they are not required to as long as their minimum standards are at least equivalent…[/QUOTE]

The Coast Guard will do what ever the industry wants them to do. If a sector is facing a personal shortage the C.G. will lower standards if they can get away with it.

K.C.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;68851]there is speculation that there well be another supplemental notice of proposed rule making up for public comment because of comments on the previous snprm. I well be surprised if the coast guard lowers their standards to that of the imo and stcw and as far as I know they are not required to as long as their minimum standards are at least equivalent…[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comeback. Any sense or indication of a time frame around these decisions?

All we know now (that I am aware of) is implementation on January 1st 2017.

This is the thread where it was discussed: http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/3320-stcw-notice-proposed-rulemaking.html

Thanks to all for the information. As always, it will be interesting to follow how and when this develops.