United Maritime Group?

We were talking about the US shipping atb’s

[QUOTE=Tugted;147567] Heard when they arrange flights they will fly thru multiple airports to save a buck & crew change is a pain[/QUOTE]

That started after the turn of the century with a couple of companies under SIU contract. A stipulation in the contract was that if the crew wasn’t flown out the same day of discharge, they were put up in a hotel and entitled to another days pay. They soon realized they could they could fly us out at 2345 and save that expense. Typical flights from LA to Houston were LA to Atlanta to Houston. The guys flying to New Orleans would go from LA to NY to NO.

[QUOTE=injunear;147573]That started after the turn of the century with a couple of companies under SIU contract. A stipulation in the contract was that if the crew wasn’t flown out the same day of discharge, they were put up in a hotel and entitled to another days pay. They soon realized they could they could fly us out at 2345 and save that expense. Typical flights from LA to Houston were LA to Atlanta to Houston. The guys flying to New Orleans would go from LA to NY to NO.[/QUOTE]

And they wonder why they have a hard time filling the jobs? There is a lot more than just good pay to being a desirable employer.

One of my regular C/Es sailed with TECO right out of school. He liked it but left for higher pay.

For over 50 years, United Maritime Group has specialized in the marine transportation and handling of dry bulk materials. United is uniquely positioned because, unlike our competitors, we offer multiple services including an international shipping, inland barging serving the U.S. inland rivers, terminal services with one of the largest coal and petroleum coke terminals in the U.S. and the largest dry bulk coastwise operator in the United States. We transport coal, petroleum coke, grain, phosphate rock, fertilizer, ores, alumina, ferroalloys and other dry bulk cargoes.

Thanks for the write up on United but I was wondering what a mates responsibilities and duties were during cargo operations on a dry-bulk ATB. I was responding to a post (about the wrong company as it turns out…) that said something about mates doing, or not doing cargo, and I just wanted to know how that worked for dry-bulk.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;147578]Thanks for the write up on United but I was wondering what a mates responsibilities and duties were during cargo operations on a dry-bulk ATB. I was responding to a post (about the wrong company as it turns out…) that said something about mates doing, or not doing cargo, and I just wanted to know how that worked for dry-bulk.[/QUOTE]

The mate is a bastard, the bos’un’s worse but she will suit ye’ fine!

Hoisted from my own petard

A mates responsibilities at UMG, or whatever they are called now, during cargo ops include but not limited to- ballast ops/hatch movement/tending lines and keeping vessel in overall good trim. Use to be that was the AB’s job there but since they went Union the constant turn around of deck guys means it’s the mate’s job now. Worked there for quite a while. Hope this helps.

Good description, pretty much about what I expected, thanks for filling us in. Does anyone know with certainty if they take 1600-ton licenses?

So what do the deckhands do? Hang out in the galley? When I worked for TECO that was my job description as an OS. Ballast boy.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;147674]So what do the deckhands do? Hang out in the galley? When I worked for TECO that was my job description as an OS. Ballast boy.[/QUOTE]

That’s interesting.

Don’t know about UOS but typicaly on a SIU ship only the bosn and Steward have permanant jobs with the rest being rotary (signed on for the voyage). The old NMU had more permanant positions. Also the MM&P off-shore is academy heavy, they tend to think of the unlicensed as just “warm bodies”.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;147686]That’s interesting.

Don’t know about UOS but typicaly on a SIU ship only the bosn and Steward have permanant jobs with the rest being rotary (signed on for the voyage). The old NMU had more permanant positions. Also the MM&P off-shore is academy heavy, they tend to think of the unlicensed as just “warm bodies”.[/QUOTE]

The electrician or in the case of tankers, pumpman are permanent in addition to the bosun and steward.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;147686]That’s interesting.

Don’t know about UOS but typicaly on a SIU ship only the bosn and Steward have permanant jobs with the rest being rotary (signed on for the voyage). The old NMU had more permanant positions. Also the MM&P off-shore is academy heavy, they tend to think of the unlicensed as just “warm bodies”.[/QUOTE]

KC, you are one of the saltiest, most experienced, and most knowledgeable members of this forum.

However, this “warm bodies” comment is against the grain of your persona.

I’ve worked with NMU, SIU, SUP, MFOW as an MMP mate. I don’ think of them as such, ALL ship’s personnel are supposed to be team players. Obviously, an officers vs. unlicensed mentality would not be a good culture for any vessel, especially one on long hitches.

I can’t come up with a logical reason why you would say that, but it’s definitely off.

I’ll leave that “warm bodies” mentality to HR.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;147715]KC, you are one of the saltiest, most experienced, and most knowledgeable members of this forum.

However, this “warm bodies” comment is against the grain of your persona.

I’ve worked with NMU, SIU, SUP, MFOW as an MMP mate. I don’ think of them as such, ALL ship’s personnel are supposed to be team players. Obviously, an officers vs. unlicensed mentality would not be a good culture for any vessel, especially one on long hitches.

I can’t come up with a logical reason why you would say that, but it’s definitely off.

I’ll leave that “warm bodies” mentality to HR.[/QUOTE]

You’re right, it’s an overly broad and too strongly worded generalization. I do think however that many ship’s officers underestimate the abilities and skills of the unlicensed crew. Often many on the unlicensed side are ready, willing and able to contribute more then assumed.

1600 ton is their specialty

Those were the good ole days my friend. The AB’s are more than willing to help tie up the vessel upon arrival then
they will sit on a bit on their smartphone the rest of watch and because they are Union-if you ask them to do anything cargo related they will tell you it’s ‘not in their contract’. If you insist they do help you the file a grievance against you with the union hall. That’s no shit! As far as the SIU-I’m sure there are hard working guys there-but I didn’t see any.

[QUOTE=DirtyRodriguez;147776]Those were the good ole days my friend. The AB’s are more than willing to help tie up the vessel upon arrival then
they will sit on a bit on their smartphone the rest of watch and because they are Union-if you ask them to do anything cargo related they will tell you it’s ‘not in their contract’. If you insist they do help you the file a grievance against you with the union hall. That’s no shit! As far as the SIU-I’m sure there are hard working guys there-but I didn’t see any.[/QUOTE]

The “not in their contract” sounds bogus to me. I understand that on bulkers the ABs are very involved in cargo ops, I know they are on the tankers.

Specific duties do not have to be in the contract. The crew should be told what to do and if they don’t do it, follow the firing procedures (letter of warning 1st offense, letter of dismissal on the second ). If anyone wants to file a grievance no problem, I doubt you’ll ever hear anything about it again.

Same with the phone while on duty, send 'em packing.

[QUOTE=DirtyRodriguez;147776]Those were the good ole days my friend. The AB’s are more than willing to help tie up the vessel upon arrival then
they will sit on a bit on their smartphone the rest of watch and because they are Union-if you ask them to do anything cargo related they will tell you it’s ‘not in their contract’. If you insist they do help you the file a grievance against you with the union hall. That’s no shit! As far as the SIU-I’m sure there are hard working guys there-but I didn’t see any.[/QUOTE]

Aren’t you confusing the SIU with the SUP?

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;147793]The “not in their contract” sounds bogus to me. I understand that on bulkers the ABs are very involved in cargo ops, I know they are on the tankers.

Specific duties do not have to be in the contract. The crew should be told what to do and if they don’t do it, follow the firing procedures (letter of warning 1st offense, letter of dismissal on the second ). If anyone wants to file a grievance no problem, I doubt you’ll ever hear anything about it again.

Same with the phone while on duty, send 'em packing.[/QUOTE]

I think you’ve touched on the root of many labor problems with unlicensed seamen. Yes, it’s true that there are certain forbidden duties in the contract, but not actually that many. A lot of it has to do with WHEN the duties are carried out–for example, under most SIU contracts, most seamen can’t be required to perform deck maintenance while on watch on weekends. At least not without penalty pay. It is definitely incumbent upon the supervisor to know the contract at least as well as the seamen. My usual line is, if you think what I’m ordering you to do goes against the contract somehow, then go ahead and show me where it says that. If you’re correct, I’ll admit my mistake and we’ll work from there.

Many issues, however, stem from inadequate leadership. Often, I’ve noticed that, when there’s a problem with a seaman, it’s because nobody corrected their mistakes/behavior from the outset. My belief is that it’s important to set out the rules and expectations right from the start, and then follow up on that as need be. Too often I’ve seen seamen (officers and unlicensed alike) allowed to keep contravening the rules, and when a supervisor finallly says something, the reaction tends to be, “Well, it was fine before, why is it suddenly a problem now?” Too often I’ve seen cases where a seaman is finally told, while signing off, that he wasn’t good enough and isn’t welcome back–but at no point during the tour was he ever counseled or warned as to his actions. Certainly, there are seamen that don’t care and they’ll flout the rules, but that’s what the whole verbal warning/letter of warning/firing scheme is for. Most seamen, however, will tend to respond positively once they see that their supervisor is actually serious about his expectations. Often, all that’s required is a private chat, something along the lines of, “You knew you weren’t allowed to use your cell phone on duty. If something comes up in your personal life that you have to absolutely make that phone call right then, ask me and we’ll work around that, no problem, but don’t go behind my back with it. Next time I catch you, it’s a letter of warning.” Don’t have to be a dick about it or anything, simply be firm but fair. And be consistent! Don’t let one guy get away with something but come down on someone else.

One thing I do hate is when someone says, “Well, the other guy is okay with it.” Yeah, maybe my relief is fine with, for example, allowing cell phones on duty. In that case I’ll let the seaman know that, while I’m on, we’re doing things my way. Maybe I’ll discuss it with my relief at another time, because it is best that both of us are on the same page, but overall it’s not really my issue what he does or doesn’t allow.

Back in the Day 333 had a pretty strict contract rules for working out of your area, Deck working in the ER and vise a versa. Well, I was the type of shipmate that always tried to lend a hand when needed even if I was not “called out” (Not O/T). I would always give anyone in the deck crew O/T if they came down to help out during repairs but one time I just needed a hand for about 2 minutes putting a powerpack back in it’s cradle. The AB said not problem and 5 minutes later we were drinking coffee in the Galley. Later that night he handed me a O/T sheet for an hour of O/T. I looked at it for a minute and signed it. The next day I am laying in my room (Off Watch) when he knocks on my door and says that we were going to be making up the push gear. I said cool and closed my door. A couple of minutes he knocked again, I did not even bother answering him that time. About 2 minutes later his O/T sheet came sliding under my door. I went right out and helped as I always did.

After we got done we talked about it and I told him that I had no problem giving out O/T and would still give him the hour that I had already signed for but he said “No, with all the help that you do for nothing that is the least that I could do for you”. He got the idea of that sometimes it is nice just to help out and not just do it for the O/T, especially if someone is helping out a lot without getting the penalty time. Not that it matters but I still sent in his hour of O/T with the payroll.